One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I missed out on the Majestic Toys version of the Barnabas Collins action figure several years ago, and most that currently appear on eBay are grossly overpriced. So... I was resigned to not having a sixth scale Barnabas in my collection.... But then a few weeks ago, I saw a custom Barnabas head offered on eBay that looked much better (to me) than the Majestic version (the plain face...not the vampire). I won the auction and within a week, using a spare body, a suit and overcoat set, and shoes I already had, I set out to do my own 1/6 scale version. I removed the sleeves to the overcoat to make the Inverness coat, and sewed the cape portion myself. I also made his cane from a wooden dowel and Sculpty.

I must say, after completion, I do like mine better than the Majestic version....but I do wish the sculptor also did a vampire head as well.

What do you think????

I included pics of Jonathan Frid in costume as Barnabas and a pic of the Majestic version for comparison.

(sorry for the slightly blurry pics...my digital camera is down for repairs, so I had to use my cell phone)

Attachments

·
Using 1/6th of my brain!
410 Posts
You did a really good job on that figure.

I think that looks really cool PLUS you had a hand in making it, not simply taking it out of a box (Like I have to do 'cause I suck!).

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
That looks really, really good and I agree, it's better than the Majestic version.

To my taste too, I prefer this to a "Vampire" version. I don't really think that Vampire heads look quite right for a figure where the vampire look was just supposed to be a quick jump cut, flashing on the screen, which made us as kids jump behind the couch. Seeing the vampire look, frozen in plastic, sitting in the Detolf, just encourages disbelief. Whereas your guy is quiet, dignified, yet we all know what's just around the corner.

Do pls add better pics if you get a chance, your work deserves a closer look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very Cool Figure.....Think i see this Charakter in a Comic many, many Years ago. Good Work! So he is a Comic Figure, right ?
Thanks for the compliment! Barnabas Collins has appeared in some comics over the years, but actually he was the main character in the ABC TV series "Dark Shadows" in the late 60's through early 70's. In fact, the recent "Dark Shadows" movie was based on the TV series. Any comics you have seen are also based on the series.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
That looks like the Barnabas Collins that was sculpted several years ago for A____r by Joy Snyder. I contacted them a few months ago to see if they had any castings of that head for sale. They said castings of that sculpt were not available, but they were considering doing a new sculpt of Frid that would be more in scale with the majority of bodies on the market now.

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
I believe that is the Andgor version. he is back and selling on ebay under : supersam5757
I've noticed quite a few Andgor sculpts being sold by him as well as some other items.

I guess it may be a good sign that Axer1 actually got the item.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what happened with Andgor, but I must say...My transaction with supersam was timely and smooth. Remember, eBay and PayPal transactions are protected so you can get money back for non-delivery or if the item doesn't match the description. Based on that, if I saw something I liked, I would likely buy from him on eBay again.

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
If you do a search of the word "Andgor" on this and other forums, you should find the whole story. Suffice to say he burned a lot of people and has a huge BBB file.
Hopefully he's gotten himself cleaned up and all of those "lost" sculpts will become available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts