One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

These were ordered just after the new year, and then the Coronavirus outbreak in China has turned into a pandemic crisis. Shipping was delayed by 2 weeks, and everything arrived this last week.

As mentioned in another thread, the Jiaou Doll bodies have been updated with steel ball joints for the ankle and the neck joint (although the latter is not consistant, some are still plastic and some are steel).

When changing to the high heeled feet, these have to be forced-in in the correct position, and not in a backward direction. The feet joints have been tightened a lot, so that it does not drop out any more. The hand joints too I hope!

Below is the Fire Girl FG071-D HS which is Pale. The head tone and size matches the TBL S24A Pale body. And barbie outfits are a good fit for this body.

The QI AN TOYS DR-007-A HS is now on the TBL S25B suntan body, instead of the S24A pale body setup earlier.

By-Art is a new brand they recently released their T3, Jason Momoa HS with rooted hair, and now the T5, Scarlet Witch HS with supposedly voice activated lighted red eyes! This one arrived in the post yesterday. Unfortunately, and strangely, there are no instructions provided with this item that I received. I don't know if there was any provided in the 1st place. The HS looks like this:

Batteries that fit into the placement holder in the head are the LR44 (thicker) and the LR54 (thinner). I tried both, and nothing worked! I believe, in view of the Coronavirus crisis in China, Hong Kong, here, in this region and around the world, I have not been able to fine any reviews or instructions on how to light the eyes. The battery just slots in and that's it. (Do I have to tape the battery down?) Or am I using the wrong battery size? Nothing works when I make a noise! How does it work??? I have contacted the seller in Shanghai today, pending his reply.

This HS is a real suntan or Wheat tone that matches the Jiaou Doll BS (Wheat) tone. The neck socket (looks kind of shallow to me at first, but) works perfectly with the Jiaou Doll neck ball joint without any need of any additional support. The scalp is magnetically attached to the face sculpt

Below: Flash photo tonal comparison - Right: T5/JD BS (Wheat), Left: ZC Toys Scarlet Witch head (v2.0) from 2 years ago on JD KT 10D body.

Here is the T5/JD BS (Wheat) combo in costume under more natural/ambient light.

PS. UPDATE - CR1220 is the battery type to be used to light-up the eyes. The light automatically switches off after about 10 sec. The effective range of sound is about 30cm or 12", but responds efficiently at about 10cm or less away. Music played at 3m away has no effect on it.
Update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

Hi Martian, thank you for the awesome reference post.

Have you ever tried any Fashion Royalty heads on any bodies? Would be curious to see which you would think would be best and how to fit them on the neck properly.

I've seen some people use FR heads in FR White skintone on Suntan TB League bodies but the coloring is a little off for me. I think FR Cream and Japan work well on the TB League Pale bodies but I am not sure if they would be too big for the S24A, or how to attach the head properly.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

Hi Martian, thank you for the awesome reference post.

Have you ever tried any Fashion Royalty heads on any bodies? Would be curious to see which you would think would be best and how to fit them on the neck properly.

I've seen some people use FR heads in FR White skintone on Suntan TB League bodies but the coloring is a little off for me. I think FR Cream and Japan work well on the TB League Pale bodies but I am not sure if they would be too big for the S24A, or how to attach the head properly.
No I have not tried kitbashing FR heads. I have been thinking of that recently, and looking at their availability on taobao and ebay. But I do not have any character in mind to create based on those heads, at the moment! They are rather expensive.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)

Comparing a Jiaou Doll BS Wheat tone (left) to a VeryCool FX02-B (suntan) body tone (right). Slave Leia has shoes on, so they are both actually about the same height.

Further comment on Jiaou Doll TPE is that it is very fragile. It will not take even a slight bent elbow or knee for any long term period of time. Tearing at these joins will certainly happen; experienced here with my Slave Leia, after fixing the previous tears from its sitting/knee bend Jabba's palace scene pose (last Dec 2019 I think) to a normal supported standing pose with slight bent elbow and knee (since then to today). So I can't even have the slightest bent elbow or knee pose! This is terrible!!!

Height wise, compared to the Hot Toys Leias, Jiaou Doll is a little taller.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

This is Super Duck set016, the Street fighter, Chun Li, which I had 2 years ago. But I didn't get around to set it up till this weekend. I used the Jiaou Doll KT European body type, although their original promo ad used a TBL S21B. Standing next to that is YMToys YM08-D/TBL S29B Suntan body featured previously.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)

Thanks to Rectrix for the tip in another thread here on African American female bodies early this month, I managed to purchase 2 Black skin toned Jiaou Dolls from ebay which I never knew was ever manufactured. Previous posts over the last 4 years had various collectors photographs in various websites indicating a rather greyish tone for the Jiaou Doll Black (PS) tone body. DaisyRain who was formally a rep from Jiaou Doll in 2018, was surprised at my question to her if the skin tone was grey instead of black. She did not actually answer my question.

I bought this body from a US seller. From the seller's picture, it seemed like a Jiaou Doll JOQ-10D body (Rectrix's posted photo from the seller: 1/6 African American female bodies and headsculpts).

Today, the package arrived and I was pleasantly surprised at how dark the skin tone is!!! The body is actually a JD European body JOQ-9F seamless feet model.

Attached is a Fashionista Barbie head I had previously used on a Threezero Michonne jointed body (shown earlier here). The head is much darker than the JD body tone. I have tried to match other black barbie heads I have at hand, but they are much too light comparatively.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

Got the Belet BT015 red hair HS for a custom Mera. The HS actually matches the Jiaou Doll KT tone better than this TBL S23B 'suntan' that it is on. The outfit is from Mattel.

·
Registered
15 Posts

That AA body color tone is nice. I wondered how it would look. Getting a matching head will be a bitch though. Color looks perfect for an Okoye (Black Panther) custom.

Thanks to Rectrix for the tip in another thread here on African American female bodies early this month, I managed to purchase 2 Black skin toned Jiaou Dolls from ebay which I never knew was ever manufactured. Previous posts over the last 4 years had various collectors photographs in various websites indicating a rather greyish tone for the Jiaou Doll Black (PS) tone body. DaisyRain who was formally a rep from Jiaou Doll in 2018, was surprised at my question to her if the skin tone was grey instead of black. She did not actually answer my question.

I bought this body from a US seller. From the seller's picture, it seemed like a Jiaou Doll JOQ-10D body (Rectrix's posted photo from the seller: 1/6 African American female bodies and headsculpts).

Today, the package arrived and I was pleasantly surprised at how dark the skin tone is!!! The body is actually a JD European body JOQ-10F seamless feet model.

Attached is a Fashionista Barbie head I had previously used on a Threezero Michonne jointed body (shown earlier here). The head is much darker than the JD body tone. I have tried to match other black barbie heads I have at hand, but they are much too light comparatively.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Is that the stock head on hat super duck Chun Li?

This is Super Duck set016, the Street fighter, Chun Li, which I had 2 years ago. But I didn't get around to set it up till this weekend. I used the Jiaou Doll KT European body type, although their original promo ad used a TBL S21B. Standing next to that is YMToys YM08-D/TBL S29B Suntan body featured previously.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

Is that the stock head on hat super duck Chun Li?
If I understand you correctly, Yes. This set is straight out of the box from SD set016. If you have it, make sure you treat the black outfit (de-stain it to avoid colour run) before use.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Cool. I was on the fence but I will buy this. Thanks for the pics.

If I understand you correctly, Yes. This set is straight out of the box from SD set016. If you have it, make sure you treat the black outfit (de-stain it to avoid colour run) before use.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)

After over a month of waiting, in view of the COVID19 pandemic, my YMToys YMT029C finally arrived. The HS is advertised as suntan. In hand, it matches the Jiaou Doll KT tone exactly compared to the TBLeague suntan, which is lighter in tone.

I modified the hair-do, and have matched it here with a TBLeague S17B suntan body mainly because of the physique, which I preferred for this character.

And with this, my Sailor Scout team is finally complete!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

I had originally selected this Super Duck SDH015C HS for the above Sailor Moon character because of the long hair, which was perfect for forming the buns for the character. However, in hand, the facial features where not quite what was shown in Super Duck's promo pictures. The face area around the nose/eyes seemed somewhat sunken in, which changed the whole facial structure in profile, which was not represented in the promo pictures. I must say I was rather disappointed initially. So I pulled out an old box of chalk pastels and also portrait colour pencils and decided to try darkening the eyeliner a little.

I think this got a little closer to the promo picture.

The HS is pale toned and matches TBL's pale tone body perfectly. Compared to the Jiaou Doll Pink (PM), in-hand, the HS is comparatively greyish and does not really match the PM tone. JD's Natural (YS) is too rich in tone compared to the greyish pale HS.

And here's one in ambient lighting.

·
muscledog
400 Posts

Martian, do you still rely on the JD bodies? I mean, because of their skin weakness? I'm tempted to buy one, but reading some of your comments made me re-think about it. Cheers!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

Martian, do you still rely on the JD bodies? I mean, because of their skin weakness? I'm tempted to buy one, but reading some of your comments made me re-think about it. Cheers!
Hi Muscledog, I rely on JDs mainly in view of the relevant darker skin tones for the head sculpts selected for the project. Because of the fragility of the TPE, I simply setup the character for display when done, with as little handling as possible. Some minor handling is ok! And no permanent bent elbows or knees for them on the shelf!!!

They also have longer bellies than the TBLs. Different physique.

Here's another recent one, a KO Rey Wheat toned HS.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)

It seems these days, Super Duck only produces pale toned head sculpts. Good thing is, there is a constant, and you can't go wrong matching it with a TBL pale body!

I am referring to the Super Duck Set043 Fairy Elf on the right.
The other is the Lucifer Elf Queen set which came with a unicorn. The Elf Queen included, I believe, a TBL S10D body that was fully in costume.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

GAC Toys GC037A Gal Gadot HS arrived today. My intent was to replace Hot Toys version 1 BvS Wonder Woman HS. However...

I remember reading some promo posts somewhere that the A version was meant to match the Hot Toys body. Well, it does colour wise, but the head size is meant for a normal sized figure and not the Hot Toys Wonder Woman body!!! Hmmmm. I guess it will have to go with a Jioau Doll BS Wheat LB body, which isn't really right physique-wise either.

The facial likeness of the GAC HS is close, but still not quite there. The tiara is molded as part if the head.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

Very Cool VCF-FX07B head sculpt

Very Cool VCF-2050 Miranda Kerr head sculpt.

Both are a match to Jiaou Doll KT toned body.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am a first time collector og the TBLeague dolls and I got myself an S09C body and aKT004 head. I find the head a bit too small for the body.

Which head is recommended for this body for a better match? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)

Hi everyone,

I am a first time collector og the TBLeague dolls and I got myself an S09C body and aKT004 head. I find the head a bit too small for the body.

Which head is recommended for this body for a better match? Thanks everyone.
Hi Felixkh, it's strange that your KT004 neck socket is not deep enough to accommodate the TBLeague S/S neck post. It is suppose to fit in perfectly. Could it be that you received a knock-off copy instead of a genuine KimiToys head? The head skin tone seems a little darker than the TBL suntan body too (pls correct me if I am wrong).

As shown above in an earlier entry, I use a S23B with this HS for a She-Ra character. The TBL neck post are all the same length and are longer than all the other neck posts in other body brands. (As such, majority of head sculpts are designed with deeper neck sockets to accommodate both 'normal' shallow neck posts and TBL's longer neck post.)

If you require a seamless body, you could try a Jiaou Doll Large bust New Wheat (BS01) toned body which will fit well into your HS neck socket, & match the TBL skin tone. Or if the HS is really a little darker than the TBL body, then the Jiaou Doll KT skin tone will match better.

Otherwise find a genuine Kimi Toys HS! There are a wide selection of HSs that will work with the S09C body. See my 1st post pic/s.

PS. Majority of current Head Sculpt manufacturers usually make deep neck sockets to accommodate the TBL neck post. And KimiToys is one of these companies.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts