One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I need some feedback on some things I've been working on, specifically the scale of a scarf I've poured months into researching and making.

Familitary with the character its made for isn't necessary. I would appreciate opinion on drape of the scarf on the figure and the way it looks around the neck. Is it too bulky, etc.? The 1:1 scarf is wool and so is this one which is why I ask.

Also, if you wanted a knit scarf (again not character specific just in general if it were made to your specifications) would this be of interest to you if this is how it looked in person?

I've been at this so long that things begin to look hazy after awhile and fresh eyes would be very helpful as I seek to refine and improve my techinque.

Helpful critiques much appreciated.

:thanks

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well it looks better than the one provided with the figure! Very sharp!

The Length is hard to to tell. Looking at photos it looks like it went to the ground at times and other times just below his knees.. I think if it was more narrow that might help with some of the bulk..

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
Looks good to me! How much?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it looks better than the one provided with the figure! Very sharp!

The Length is hard to to tell. Looking at photos it looks like it went to the ground at times and other times just below his knees.. I think if it was more narrow that might help with some of the bulk..
I agree on the length. I went by the season 12 pattern on doctorwhoscarf.com and then I think I stretched it lengthwise too much. You may well be right on the width. I'll definately look into that with the next one I do. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks good to me! How much?
Thanks! :D Not sure yet. I've had some suggestions, but I'm still debating the final cost- never done anything like this before so I'm still doing my research. I'm doing these over on SSF in conjunction with WGP's Classic Who line. I think an interest post is going to go up in the next day or so. But I'll let you guys know here too when they become available.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It's been some time since I've watched Tom Baker's Doctor, but it looks good from what I recall.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
It is nicely done, but, to me anyway, the knit of the scarf looks a bit out of scale. I think a 1/6 webbing belt or similar material painted with the right colours could look better.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been some time since I've watched Tom Baker's Doctor, but it looks good from what I recall.
Very cosy looking! I love that the colours are relatively muted too. :)
its looks good. Just like Tom wore In the show.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it! :D

It is nicely done, but, to me anyway, the knit of the scarf looks a bit out of scale. I think a 1/6 webbing belt or similar material painted with the right colours could look better.

CHEERS!
Yeah, getting a knit of any kind in 1/6th is difficult. I have seen a couple of painted ones before. I worry that paint would stiffen the fabric too much. Dying would probably be the best route, but then how do you manage to dye seven different colors without them bleeding into one another. :lol Thanks for the feedback.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Sometimes stiff fabric can help rather than hinder. Years ago I built a vinyl kit of Boba Fett and for his cloak I cut up an old duster and soaked it in acrylic paint. The result was that I got a cloak I could pose and it would hold any shape I wanted. A scarf done the same way could be made to hang quite nicely and have a scale weight to it.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes stiff fabric can help rather than hinder. Years ago I built a vinyl kit of Boba Fett and for his cloak I cut up an old duster and soaked it in acrylic paint. The result was that I got a cloak I could pose and it would hold any shape I wanted. A scarf done the same way could be made to hang quite nicely and have a scale weight to it.

CHEERS!
Interesting. It be cool to see someone do this. I was hoping to get a 1/6th "replica" scarf in wool as close as possible. But it simply may not be possible or require a real knitter, not a wanna be like me. Lol

Not sure if this really worth pursuing or not, I go back and forth. I would hate for people to buy something I made and find it unusable. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again! :D

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I would offer this observation: The scarf appears wider in various pics. That may be a case of varied knits, or that at times the scarf is rolled or flattened out. Here's a couple of examples:

-----

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would offer this observation: The scarf appears wider in various pics. That may be a case of varied knits, or that at times the scarf is rolled or flattened out. Here's a couple of examples:

-----
You're absolutely right on the width which is why I made mine as wide as I did, so that it could be spread out or folded under. My picures don't showcase this very well. Sir Gor's suggestion (thanks btw) about crochet made me look in the possibility of a crochet garter stitch being done on loom (or comb in my case) to achieve that horizontal effect. I'm working on learning the stiches now to see how that looks. I'm hoping it will make the knit look more in scale, too.

Thanks for the pics! :D

Try and find some 1/6 knitting needles! LOL!

CHEERS!
And some 1/6th hands! :lol

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
After seeing the 1:1 photos, I think the scarf looks dead on the money.

Really fine job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts