One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through snapping up reference pics from af.mil and ran across a series of pictures of this guy.

He is identified as a B52 pilot assigned to the 2-505th Parachute Regiment of the 82d Airborne division as an air liason.

OK, my confusion is this. If he is an AF officer, why is he wearing an army uniform? And if it is common practice for such air liaisons to wear an army uniform in this situation, why the heck is he wearing a patch from the 10th Mountain Division if he is attached to a unit in the 82d?

Just so you know I am not crazy, here is a series of links to pics of this guy.

http://www.af.mil/search/media.asp?mediaID=6859&mediaType=1

http://www.af.mil/search/media.asp?mediaID=6864&mediaType=1

http://www.af.mil/search/media.asp?mediaID=6863&mediaType=1

http://www.af.mil/search/media.asp?mediaID=6861&mediaType=1

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:sadshake

DOH! Well that would be too darn easy... still odd that he doesn't wear Air Force uni, but the 10th Mountain patch is clear now.

And another ponderable... why is a "mountain" division located in the flatlands of Texas where anything over 15 feet high is considered mountainous terrain? :lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
As far as the Patch goes yep, its 10th MTN, and its very possibel he is Air Force and a member of TAC(P), which is Tactical Air Control Party.
When I was in the 82nd Airborne our TACPs that were assigned to us and Jumped with us wore a 82nd Airborne Division patch on
their BDUs.
Everything else on their uniforms were standard Air Force.
Even the TACPs that went to Grenada with us were authorized to wear a 82nd Patch on their right sleeve to show they had been with the unit in Combat.
TACPs are also authorized to wear the ARmy Division they are assigned to Division Patch on their Class A Uniform during their assignment. Its different seeing an "All American" Patch on a set of Air Force Blues.
TACPs also wear Black Berets.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
BTW, that writer got the division's home WAY screwed up. Ft. Drum is located in upstate New York, by the Canadian border I believe

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,006 Posts
JT:
The Moutain in the division's title is honorific. From what I read the 10th Mountain div soldiers aren't trained for mountain warfare.
xavier

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
basx said:
JT:
The Moutain in the division's title is honorific. From what I read the 10th Mountain div soldiers aren't trained for mountain warfare.
xavier
I know... note the LOL smily meaning I was joking... and the division is not even based in Texas, but at Fort Drum, NY... 10th Mountain is a Light Infantry rapid deployment unit.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Just to add some to this, every Army maneuver Brigade has a team of these TAC's assigned to them. And as mentioned earlier, they wear the Divisional/Regimental patch to the command they are assigned to. Also, as mentioned earlier, if they served in combat with said unit, they wear the "combat patch" as well.
As a Cav Scout, I have worked with the fellas on numerous occasions by having them attached to one of my scout teams on various missions. A good bunch of guys.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have to add this. I'm very much positive that this is a TAC-P guy. They are from ASOS, which means A(sorry, I forgot that one) Special Operations Squadron. Maybe the A stands for air? Sorry about that. The TAC-P people are air force, but work and live with the grunts, they're not even stationed at our air base, they're stationed at the army base. They wear a black beret with some sort of flash and tuck their pants into their boots; BDUs and the air force blues.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe, the writer got his places mixed up. The 10th is stationed at Ft. Drum in N.Y. Maybe they were out on the range at Ft. Bliss doing some live fire exercises. That pilot can wear anything as long as the ordances are dropped on the bad guys with devastating accuracy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The TAC-P people are air force, but work and live with the grunts, they're not even stationed at our air base, they're stationed at the army base. They wear a black beret with some sort of flash and tuck their pants into their boots; BDUs and the air force blues.
He is a ROMAD as stated earlier. They are assigned to forward operating units and wear unit insignias of the Army Division assigned. I work with several. They live with the soldiers they work for, they are part of their recon units. First to fight so to speak. These are the cats that call in the targets or laze them if necessary.

Head gear is a black beret with cloth insignia and medal device unique to them. Standard uniform is BDU/DCU, nothin fancy. . .no delta operator jeans and sneakers for these guys. The also, they do NOT blouse their blues. If you have seen this then someone is trying to be cool. Especially when nobody is looking. In 19 years I have NEVER seen a ROMAD peg his dress uniform.

Scott

PH and Proud

Bulletmann - Hyatta

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nope, the Army and Air Force have differant uniform standards. . .

Only time you will see an Air Force bloused service dress is an Honor Guard detail or Elite Gate Guard (Security Forces).

Scott

PH and Proud

Bulletmann - Hyatta

·
Registered
276 Posts
So Gidefender, than what you are saying is that when I was in the 82nd and the TACPs that were assigned to my Battalion, which at the time was 2/508 and later 3/504 that were in their Blues wearing Jump Wings and Bloused Jump Boots that was a
figment of my Imigination?
Not to Mention the PJs, Combat Contollers and Combat Weather guys I saw at Bragg and Pope with Bloused Blues?
I bet PBR549 probably has had the same hallucinations as I have
had in his time with the 82nd.
PBR, when you get back to Bragg let me know if you are still hallucinating!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a ROMAD (TACP) at 10th SF Group at Ft Carson. Just glad to see the word ROMAD in print (and not being the police blotter, etc). I'd be glad to answer any questions but romad.com is a great source of info for our job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts