One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
recently posted this photo of a Confederate Artillery Crew I put together (using mostly Sideshow figures and 6pdr Cannon along with some additional goodies from Battlegear toys) on FB. This set up is used for display and educational purposes at the Civil War Artillery Museum in Starkville, MS. I posed the figures based on the painting by Don Troiani "Bronze Guns and Iron Men." This depicts John Pelham's men at the Battle of Fredericksburg.

Attachments

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That is just the ticket to show a gun in operation, I hope I can get down to see that museum someday. Well done!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the comments. That is exactly right on using the figures to teach students about the different positions and their duties. It was a chore to get figures and uniforms for positions 1-5 plus the Corporal Gunner who is leaning over the trail aiming the piece. Battlegear toys supplied the lanyard, tube pouch, gunners haversack and some other implements. I drilled a hole in the muzzle large enough for the shaft of the Sponge/rammer which I scratch built from dowel and sections of an old towel. I also scratch built a leather thumbstall for #3 who is thumbing the vent. It helps that I have been with an authentic CW Artillery reenacting unit for almost 20 years and have live fired many original guns owned by the battery.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Years ago, at our annual 4th of July shoots, north of Lawrence, we had a 3-inch gun one of the fellows owned. He'd bring it down the road on a low trailer, pulled by his tractor.

We would get down in a creek bed that crossed the "range", and he'd fire over our heads. It was an education in the performance of those pieces, the rounds are much higher velocity than one would think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts