1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Command Group - Part ONE
12.SS Pz Division "Hitlerjugend"
Normandy, France 1944

I started making some officer figures to compliment a large group of artillerymen and grenadiers and slowly over the last month or so, kept adding personality figures to the group. If my yard ever dries up I will take some group photos.
For now these are the individual figures. Two of them have been seen previously but reposted them to have them all in the same series.

Several of the figures are wearing uniforms referenced in photographs in the various HJ books I have but some have some not seen combinations for variety.
They are reopresented just before D-Day, June 6, 1944.

I used the following books:
"The History of the 12. SS-Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend" by Hubert Meyer(represented in one of the figures) (JJ Fedorowicz Publication)
"Blood and Honor: The History of the 12th SS Panzer Division 'Hitler Youth', 1943-1945" by Craig W.H. Luther(Bender Publication)
"Die 12. SS-Panzer-Division HJ" by Herbert Walther (Podzun-Pallas-Verlag Publication)
And for reference info on the individual figures:
"Their Honor Was Loyalty!" by Jost W. Schneider (Bender Publication) This book lists all the SS Knight Cross winners.

Also used this very nice website extensively: http://home.att.net/~SSPzHJ/Index.html

All HS from DML.
Uniform pieces are by DML, Toy City, BGT and Majormidnite.
Belts and holsters are DML and BGT.
Boots are DML and DID.
Caps from DML, Toys City, OneSixthUnique, Kowalski(Juanjo) and BGT.

SS-Brigadefuhrer Fritz Witt
Divisional Commander
12. SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend"

In February 1943, the SS had begun formation of a new Waffen-SS division composed primarily from Hitler Youth members born in 1926. The division was designated 12.SS-Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend. To provide officers for this new division, a number of Veteran Leibstandarte officers and NCOs were transferred. Witt, along with Max Wünsche, Kurt Meyer, 'Gerd' Bremer, Wilhelm Mohnke, Hugo Kraas and Rudolf von Ribbentrop were among those transferred. On 1 July 1943, Witt was promoted to SS-Oberführer, and at the end of the month he was officially given command of the Hitlerjugend division.
On 20 April 1944, Witt was promoted to SS-Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der SS. Witt continued training exercises for his division, allowing his troops to familiarise themselves with the terrain around Caen. This training would later prove vital. On 27 May, 1944, Witt turned 36 and celebrated his birthday with a party. A few days later, on 2 June, he finally announced that the Hitlerjugend division was ready for combat.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

SS-Sturmbahnfuhrer Hubert Meyer
1a General Staff Officer

From June through September 1943, SS-Sturmbannführer Meyer attended the 10th General Staff Officer course and after graduating was assigned to the newly formed 12.SS-Panzer-Division Hitlerjugend. After the divisional commander SS-Brigadeführer Kurt Meyer was captured on September 6, 1944 by Belgian partisans in the town of Durnal, Hubert Meyer took temporary command of the division. He relinquished his command on October 24, 1944 to SS-Brigadeführer Fritz Kraemer, but stayed with the division for the remainder of the war and surrendered to the Americans on May 8, 1945.

SS-Stabdartenfuhrer Kurt Meyer "Panzermeyer"
Commander Panzer Grenadier Regt 25
12. SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend"

On 23 Febuary 1943, Meyer was the 195th man awarded Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross for his role in the recapture of Kharkov amongst many other succesfull engagements with SS-Aufkl.Abt 1. That summer Hitler declared the formation of a new SS Division, to be filled by members of the Hitlerjugend organization born in the year 1926. The commanding officers where to come from the the 1.SS-Panzerdivision "Liebstandarte Adolph Hitler". Despite his desire to lead the newly formed Panzerregiment, Meyer was chosen to command the young Grenadiers of SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 25 instead, and was promoted to SS-Standartenführer on 21 June 1943.

On 6 June the Allied forces commenced with the largest amphibous assault in history, Operation Overlord. On 14 June, less than two weeks into the invasion the unthinkable occured. SS-Brigadeführer Fritz Witt, commander of the 12.SS-Panzerdivision "Hitlerjugend" was killed by a Allied naval bombardment. As the highest ranking field officer, SS-Standartenführer Kurt Meyer was officially given command of the division on 16 June. At 33 he was the youngest divisional commander in the German Armed Forces.

SS-Sturmbahnfuhrer Hans Waldmuller
Commander I./SS-Pz Gren Rgt. 25
12.SS-Pz Division "Hitlerjugend"

Hans Waldmüller was born in Bamberg Germany on 13 September 1913. He joined the Waffen SS in 1934, and was transfered to the Sicherheitsdienst (security service) in May 1937. In the summer of 1940 he was transfered to the LSSAH were he went on to distinguish himself, winning the Iron Cross first and second class. On 21 June 1943 he was promoted to Sturmbannführer. Waldmüller was awarded the Knights Cross on 27 August 1944.

SS-Obersturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Milius
III/ SS-PzRegt 25, later Regimental Commander

Milius commander of the Regiment's III Battalion, took over command of the SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment 25 when "Panzermeyer" mas promoted to commander of the Division, after the death of Division Commander SS-Brigadefuhrer Fritz Witt.

SS-Obersturmbahnfuhrer Wilhelm Mohnke
Regimental Commander
26. SS Panzer Grenadier Regt
12. SS Panzer Division "Hitler Jugend"

On 1 September 1943 16,000 new recruits of the Hitlerjugend born in 1926 took part of the formation of the 12th SS-Panzerdivision Hitler Jugend. Obersturmbannführer Mohnke was given command of the SS-Pz. Gren. Rgt 26, which was the second regiment formed in the 12th SS Hitlerjugend.

SS-Obersturmbahnfuhrer Fritz Schröder
Regimental Commander
SS-Panzer Artillery Regiment 12

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SS-Sturmbahnfuhrer Eric Urbanitz
Battalion Commander
I. / SS-Panzer Artillery Regiment 12

Commander of the 1st Battalion of the Divisions Panzer Artillery Regiment

SS-Hauptsturmführer Gille
1.Battery Commander
I./SS Panzerartillery Rgt 12

Commander of the 1st Battery of the 1st Battalion of the Division's Panzer Artillery Regiment.

·
Medic
2,882 Posts
I don't know much about what the German's are/were supposed to look like, but all of these figures look terrific to me. Nice use of a lot of high quality pieces, by the way. :)

- Ian

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
Never intended to do so many officers but once I got going it was hard to stop!
Who knows maybe later I can add some more to represent most of the 12 SS units.
E

1 - 8 of 8 Posts