One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ethan "Hitman" Jackson is the main character of J. S. Economos' novel, Gentle Propositions, and its in-progress sequel. As a fresh-faced Special Forces soldier, Ethan gets more than he bargained for when he finds himself assigned to MACV-SOG. He finds himself running black operations in Laos and Cambodia alongside hardened recon men and Montagnards against hordes of bloodthirsty NVA. There's thrills, there's action, and there's a lot of death. It's a good read and if you enjoy the Vietnam War (or just like war books in general), I recommend it.

Military camouflage Camouflage Military uniform Military person Cargo pants

In the course of trading research with the author, we had a discussion of what a "Ethan" action figure would look like. After a series of increasingly technical exchanges, a loadout was settled upon reflecting the late war look Ethan would be sporting in the sequel. The design of the figure was drawn up using actual kitlists as a basis, along with some modifications unique to the character's kit and personality.

Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Squad Military uniform

At this point in the war (and the book series), Ethan has been running recon for well over a year now and his kit has evolved beyond the "standard" loadout he started with in Gentle Propositions. The late war was an increasingly dangerous period for the recon teams of MACV-SOG. Now large numbers of NVA regulars routinely patrol previously quiet areas of the jungle and highly-trained special operations units are specifically assigned to track and kill SOG teams. Worse, the NVA has set-up rings of anti-air artillery (and later, SAM batteries) to attack the helicopters carrying recon teams and the attack aircraft supporting them. What used to be "merely" dangerous missions are now downright suicidal.

Camouflage Military camouflage Squad Cargo pants Ballistic vest

As a result of the increasingly heavy firefights that characterized missions after 1969, he now carries far more ammunition - nearly seven hundred rounds for his rifle plus 40 mm rounds for his grenade launcher and a pouch full of frag grenades. Ethan's Chicom chest rig - stolen from the NVA - allows him to carry the increasingly available 30-round magazines (still not an issue item - these mags were BOUGHT by recon men directly from Colt to help improve their firepower).

Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Squad Cargo pants

Ethan's Hush Puppy is... "acquired" at the start of the sequel and quickly becomes his preferred silenced pistol. He favors it over the more common .22 Hi-Standard because of its greater stopping power. He also carries the ubiquitous combination of the XM177E2 carbine and the sawed-off M79 favored by many recon men.

Camouflage Military camouflage Sleeve Font Motor vehicle

By this point in the war, uniform modifications are standard and Ethan's uniform features a common one - the lower pockets on his uniform top have been cut off and moved to his arms to improve accessibility. Almost all of his kit and his uniform is spraypainted to create a homemade camouflage which proved surprisingly effective under the triple canopy. This extends down to his WW2 surplus "GI leggings" which were common in CCC. Ethan is also lucky enough to have received some new nylon M1967 pouches and a STABO harness, reflecting some of the evolution in improved kit at the end of the war.

Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Military uniform Military person

All-in-all, this was a fun collaboration to work on. I may have put him together, but the figure is J. S. Economos' work as much as mine. If you're interested in reading Gentle Propositions, check it out on Amazon (HERE) or enter the "History Comes Alive" Contest (HERE) for a chance to win a signed copy.
As always, feedback is welcome.

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
533 Posts
Simply amazing. Great read and now i can't wait for the sequel. As fot anyone who hasn't read the boo uts worth it i stayed up till about 230 one moring just to finish it, i couldnt pit it down, and went on to send the author a message on how i felt about his work. And he sent me a thank you note!great work as always CC

·
Registered
19 Posts
The details are fantastic. I love hearing about how the uniform changed over the course of the war. A sawed off M79? That just sounds crazy, but innovation is born out of necessity. Thanks for sharing.

·
Life is tough then u die
966 Posts
Very cool. After seeing you could win the book in the contest, I had to buy one. I look forward to reading it. The figure looks great and the face and hand paint looks really good.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Totally amazing work Ryan!! Love reading about all the details.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
One good looking soldier. As said above, that's some excellent camo face paint, Ryan.

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
I finally got a chance to sit down and actually read your post phenomenal job all the way around! The background info along with the figure pics first class work!

Cya
Hankster

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can imagine a PFC trying to show off with the M79 and breaking a wrist. *chuckle chuckle* Damn fine work, sir. Were the XM-177's available to special operations only, or were they also available to grunts. Thanks!

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone: Thank you! :thumb
I owe a lot of credit to J. S. Economos both for his excellent book and walking me through his vision of how Ethan would look.

Very cool. After seeing you could win the book in the contest, I had to buy one. I look forward to reading it. The figure looks great and the face and hand paint looks really good.
Love it! Especially the camo paint on face and hands and the background info :thumb
One good looking soldier. As said above, that's some excellent camo face paint, Ryan.
Thanks guys, but the paint was one of the worst nightmares I've ever had! Jason wanted to have it kind of smeared/used, as if he'd been walking around in. He wanted it smeared a little from the sweat and wiping his face occasionally. I used some ground up black and green pastel chalk and rubbed into onto the face. Then, I took a wet q-tip and wiped the areas I'd over-powdered and smeared it a little in the areas where the camo would have run or he would've wiped his face (cheeks, chin/mouth, forehead, edge of the nose). Once it looked decent and messy, I used a Games Workshop wash to cover it all and seal the chalk. I touched up one last time with the q-tip and voila! Face camo.
Why was this a nightmare then? Try making/wiping/remaking/wiping/remaking the whole thing from start to finish about four or five times before you settle on a good look. It came out when but the process was frustrating.

The details are fantastic. I love hearing about how the uniform changed over the course of the war. A sawed off M79? That just sounds crazy, but innovation is born out of necessity. Thanks for sharing.
I can imagine a PFC trying to show off with the M79 and breaking a wrist. *chuckle chuckle* Damn fine work, sir. Were the XM-177's available to special operations only, or were they also available to grunts. Thanks!
The sawed-off M-79 was a pretty common "sidearm" for teams. The idea was to have some "handheld artillery" for point-blank contact with the NVA. When they were sawed-off (and portable), every American on the team could carry them, giving the team a total of three or more 40mm grenade launchers to bear when trying to break contact. Unloading that much firepower onto an NVA platoon/company (both of which teams would "stumble into") meant that six men could effectively force back and break an element several times its size.
XM177's were issued to "Big Army" soldiers (such as NCO's or LRRP's), but the ones I've seen in use were the older XM177E1 and the Colt Model 607. I don't think the XM177E2 saw much action in the "regular" Army.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ryan,

If you set the bar any higher, it would be in outer space!

Another WELL DONE!

Are you (or J.S.) at liberty to provide an idea when the sequel will be out?

Great job, Ryan

Keep up the great work!

Jack

·
Registered
66 Posts
Voilà une pièce superbement bien réalisé
Tout les petit détail y sont .
Bravo à vous
Ps: je ne savais pas que les guêtres était encore utilisé au Vietnam ?

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys :thanks

Ryan,

If you set the bar any higher, it would be in outer space!

Another WELL DONE!

Are you (or J.S.) at liberty to provide an idea when the sequel will be out?

Great job, Ryan

Keep up the great work!

Jack
Jack - thanks! I've asked him about it as the response is "when it's done." He talks to a lot of the veterans when he writes for insight into the actual operations.

Voilà une pièce superbement bien réalisé
Tout les petit détail y sont .
Bravo à vous
Ps: je ne savais pas que les guêtres était encore utilisé au Vietnam ?
Je vous remercie. Les guêtres étaient portées par les équipes dans "CCC". Un chef d'équipe, Raymond Harris, en a acheté aux États-Unis et ils ont réussi.
Thank you. The gaiters were worn by teams in "CCC". A team leader, Raymond Harris, bought some in the U.S. and they were successful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts