One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i noticed that now the board is being censored... Can we please make this a choice? On one forum i frequent you can choose whether stuff is censored or not... i mean... Farking... Farging... what ever... it's annoying... Gimme a choice my friend's! :sadshake

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
I do believe the board has a built in language filter. If it is in on mode...certain words are not allowed. I don't think any admin is censoring you.

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
I turned on the censors and filter out only s**t, f**k, ******* and a few other choice words. I can probably make it an option to be able to see the censored words, but there's other projects on my priority list.

In the meantime people will have to try to deal with having a discussion with the censors on. There's countless ways around it, but personally I think it's not the end of the world if the censor is on. Enjoying the hobby and cussing don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm about as bad as they come, but I don't particularly need to see some kid cussing as an extention of his manhood. This is about dolls, after all. That, added to the fact that some members are minors, I think the filtering is acceptable. There are other places where the language is allowed.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I have about about as bad a mouth as one can get. After all, I am in the military AND an aircrew member. However, I don't think that using that language on this board is appropriate. We have youngsters who frequent here for one thing. I make it a point to not curse in front of people that I don't know. And there are quite a few people here that I don't know. I treat this board the same as if we were in public. Because in reality, we are in public. And kids and children and religious folk and people who just don't want to hear that stuff are listening. I think we can choose our words better and not have to offend anyone here. Many people get mad about not offending anyone anymore but this is one case that I agree with. And after all, do you really NEED to curse on this site? C'mon, this is about dolls as laughinggravy puts it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I will agree with not having censors if there is anything constructive that could come out of cussing and foul words. Unfortunately, nothing good comes out of it so use the asterix to spell your bad words if you can't help it. This is a hobby forum not a discussion board for angry people.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin Six
Enjoying the hobby and cussing don't necessarily go hand in hand....

Norm....buddy....are you on crack?

yes they do! go ahead, try not cussing when you've just glued your hand to a figure or dremelled off the wrong part on a hard to get item. Go ahead Go ahead try it! See! can't do it can ya!? man that **** is some ****ed up.

·
Spiritual Advisor
236 Posts
As a non-english speaker, I strongly disagree with this measure.
How am I supposed to learn those lovemaking words? :D :D :D

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
[email protected] Monsignore, good one! I believe that the censor forces creativity upon posters, even if only in production of profanity. I would advocate that farking be replaced with frelling, a far superior substitute. Also, typing in a**hole would generate Mr Poopy-Pants.

You guys don't have it so bad, Norm originally wanted everyone to wear ties when logged in, and has considered a spell-checker engine.

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
LOL Stinny, Clay, OK OK you got me. What was I thinking? Even in times of great joy I cuss... "Effin' eh! That's a sweet figure!"

Here's a link that's almost relevant (mild cuss warning):
http://www.zefrank.com/punc/

·
OSW Trade Police (Retired)
11,749 Posts
I feel somewhat compelled to speak on this matter... "Censorship" is a dirty word. However, I feel as though the English language has produced several profane words that may be considered offensive to some not to mention completely unnecessary.

A little civility goes a long way.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Civility is for girls and the weakwilled. The creative use of profanity is without question one of the english languages best features.

Normally this is how it would be written: You're a C***S*****g a**h*le who's as smart as Roadkill.

Rewritten: You Sir are a Knob-gobbling Anal void lacking the I.Q of a dead Rabbit.

With a little patience and some creativity we may get Norm to put most of the dictionary into the filters soon. Should be fun.

·
Why am i here?
3,809 Posts
We dont seem to have huge problems with profanity here.... usually its just Holy **** thats cool, or What the **** were the asshats at ____ company thinking when they made this piece...

Has anyone actually complained at the language?

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,292 Posts
I don't know if this is an urban legend, or really true, but it sounds good and it makes sense. It has to do with the word S.H.I.T. The story goes that it was an acronym, meaning "Ship High In Transeint." During the olde days (I mean very old) manure was an expensive commodity and many ships would transport the manure from one part of the country to the another part of the country which need it. Well, all they had at the time were oil lit lanterns or candles to see in the dark. Do you see where this is going? Down they go into the cargo hold and "BOOM," we have ignition! For the longest time the investigators of these mishaps could not understand why the ships carrying manure kept blowing up. Well, someone finally put the pieces together and found out that methane was highly explosive. Hence, ships carrying manure had to have the acronym "S.H.I.T." written on the sides of their ships.

Like I said I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then that word is really not a bad word, but a word that has been turned into a swear word over the years (100+ years).

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/s**t.asp

The engine's pretty much the final arbiter of what does or doesn't run in the clear aboard here. Like I said, it can be the cause of disgruntlement or the wellspring of creativity. In the English language (as well as the many other languages it has derived words from), there's terms that are considered obscene, and terms that are considered irreverent. Some have found their way into everyday use, by people who consider themselves of high moral character, and others will likely never be accepted by "gentle society".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts