One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Recently been having some general car problems and was wondering if anyone can help. I'd bring it to a dealership service center, but its one and done and they hold your car hostage (they charge ~$100 just to diagnose !).

just wanted to get a broad opinion on severity of my concerns.

-timing belt - how long really passed 60k can you last ?
-is it possible to diagnose windshield wiper/motor/linkage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Timing belts can last a long time. I've run vehicles past 100,000 miles and never had to replace. If yours absolutely needs replacing after 60,000, then maybe look at what's causing that need.

As to the diagnostic on your wipers, they can hook their machines up and just about tell you what color underwear you had on the last time you drove it.

What year vehicle are we talking about? And what exactly is the issue with the wipers?

On my 1955 Packard, the wipers were run off the oilpump. If it was pouring rain and you had a steep hill to climb, they'd creep across the windshield :lol . It was common to run them through a small motor by many buyers.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
What model (bug?) and year? There may be some hope online, not sure if I still have my old manual around (had '63 and '67 bugs).

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Would really need to exact model and date. For a lot of newer cars 60,000 mile timing belt replacement is almost considered standard maintenance. It's something you don't want to mess with because if it lets loose you could wind up damaging the valves and the heads.

Post here or pm me with the model and date and I'll check with my dad. He has his own service center for nearly 50 years now. I worked there for 10 years myself.

As for the wipers are they not working at all or is it binding?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Around here, you can go to Kragen or Chief or one of those big name autoparts stores, give them like an 86 dollar security deposit, and they loan you a small diagnostic machine. Plug it into your car and it can give you a basic rundown of what's wrong alot of the time. Take it back and they give you your deposit back, hoping you buy the parts you need there. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 2000 jetta. i know the machines will last, but they're sometimes sensitive. somewhat little problems (compared to Japanese models), turn out to ripple into others. USA cars are somewhere in between (they might have natural wear, but they'll run, like the Japanese cars). But for mine it seems, it won't run that well. i'm freaking out b/c i don't want to snowball into $$$$$$ repairs (can anyone recommend a good 3rd party Extended Warranty company ??).

I'm falling behind on some shipping, and i hope members will understand.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forgot to comment on LaughingGravy's response :

I've never heard of such a thing to hook up and diagnose (the dealership will charge~$100-$130 just to do their computerized diagnosis), then charge for parts and labor (about another $~100 per hour). **GULP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, it's true. ;)

I didn't believe it at first when my nephew told me about it after trying it. I went and it worked just that way.

Granted, it's not the big holy moses pro-grade machines, more like a box about the size of half-a-DML-boxed-fig-box, but it can scan and diagnose enough to possibly make it worth your while.....for basically free. As I said, it promotes buying the necessary parts when you go to return the gadget.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
My brother got the diagnostic software off the web, he has it on a laptop and helped my Dad find out what was wrong with his Passat. If you look hard enough you'll probably be able to get yourself the software they use. ETKA is also worth a look, if you see that anywhere, grab it, it gives full part listings for every VW ever made!

CHEERS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.