One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Wow, the "taken for granted by now" impact of Hot Toys really jumps out fresh when you're presented with their Top Ten males in a group. I suspect that there's a bit of politics, or risk aversion, in making this a HT only list, where we all know it would have been a HT dominated list anyway and inevitably politicized that way. But arguably if HT "deserve" anything, it's not that they deserve to have their own list, but would have deserved to show their dominance in direct comparison to their peers. And it seems kind of unfair that non-HT male sculpts aren't even going to get considered. One that might have been interesting is choosing Enterbay vs HT Godfathers (I ended up with both, and side by side I find it hard to declare a winner). If you went beyond HT you'd also have to write rules that probably excluded brilliant but stylized sculpts like DAM:GK which I love, or Ashley Wood (which I don't but others do).

Overall, great list with well-written supporting analysis. Even from personal taste I couldn't find much to disagree with. A bit surprised no RDJ made it on, but ok, none are objectively as good as these. It was inevitable that one, almost two Depps made it on. There should be a "chin only" subcategory so Batman '66 could get on -- it's amazing how unmistakably Adam West that is, with only half a face to work with.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I'm considering a Sideshow only list next, then potentially an 'everybody else', so that they get their due. It would be foolish to do a top ten of everyone - it would negate too many great head sculpts out there. And besides, I need plenty of list ideas to keep rolling :D

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
These are truly outstanding head sculpts and I was happy to read through this list. Happy, too, that I a couple of these, either by themselves or as the boxed figure. The Joker is magnificent, but for the most part I see such made-up/war-painted/masked figures in a different category (although enough of the face shows here to negate such an assessment). I was not surprised to see Hot Toys head sculpts compared to each other. That does not mean they should not be compared to those from other companies. I am a bit more puzzled by the upcoming Sideshow only list. Here I would have thought they have much more natural competition, and their head sculpts have been one of the weaker points of their otherwise great products. But I think I may be overlooking a lot of stuff, so I look forward to it.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Actually, I'm considering a Sideshow only list next, then potentially an 'everybody else', so that they get their due. It would be foolish to do a top ten of everyone - it would negate too many great head sculpts out there. And besides, I need plenty of list ideas to keep rolling :D
I think you've got another list idea right there perhaps -- once you've worked through the Top 10 HT Male list, the Top 10 SSC Male list and the Top 10 Everybody Else's Males list, isn't it just screaming for a consolidated final run-off list? Maybe it's like a "ladder" competition. Some "everybody else's" really good sculpt should get to place on the same ranking as a HT list if it's that good, not be automatically relegated to third tier. No?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts