One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not just keeping the sixth scale bus rolling tonight, I'm keeping the Hot Toys Marvel sixth scale bus rolling! Tonight it's time to check out not one but two versions of Cap - in his Stealth S.T.R.I.K.E. Suit and in his civvies, both figures a part of the new Winter Soldier two pack. You can find my review here:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_011615a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Michael Crawford's Review of the Week !

And just a reminder - the People's Picks voting is currently underway for the best pop culture collectibles of 2014! You can get your vote in right here:

The People's Picks - the annual pop culture collectibles awards!

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Another greatly informative review. I've really been tempted at this version of Cap so I've been looking at a few different reviews and lots of images. Anyhow ... about that weird paint damage on the helmet ... I admit I have not had one in hand yet but ... it seems to pop up on a few online pics from the right angle and one other reviewer labeled it as an intentional scuff or battle damage. I wonder if it's just that ... a rare example of Hot Toys less than perfect paint skills?

·
Combat Evolved
1,305 Posts
Mine has the paint thing on the helmet too and the sean long and shartimus prime reviews had it too. I think it is supposed to be some type of weathering or battle damage.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's weird, since there's no other damage on the figure - the suit is pristine. I had wondered about that as well, since it seems odd that they'd do that, but why one spot? The shield that's intended for him is perfect as well, so even if they intended it, it's a poor decision. Putting one small spot of damage on a figure won't look intentional, it will always look like a quality problem.

Oh, and I fixed the link - sorry about that!

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
The mismatched leather parts is an unusual misstep for Hot toys and such an obvious one as well, odd.
The legs look kinda skinny...
I really wanted HT to nail this figure.
So Michael what exactly are the differences that in the uniform that you noticed other than the course material?
Maybe they'll have another shot at if it's used in CA3:CW

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not a chance, Marvel realized a long time ago, every major character needed a new suit for every film. They can sell a lot more toys that way.

Those boots look really cheap and plasticky. I wish HT wouldn't use moulded boots so often. They could have done proper leather biker boots for the T1 T800. DiD manage it with their Germans all the time. The Armored Cop is a shining example of how all boots should be made, being a perfect combination of moulded detail parts and material where flexibility is required. A great shame SS's Snake Plissken boots weren't done the same way.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It seems counterproductive for hot toys to preview the aou captain America when they are just releasing this version. I for one think this a cool version but as soon as I saw the new CA I immediately dismissed this set.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Not a chance, Marvel realized a long time ago, every major character needed a new suit for every film. They can sell a lot more toys that way.

Those boots look really cheap and plasticky. I wish HT wouldn't use moulded boots so often. They could have done proper leather biker boots for the T1 T800. DiD manage it with their Germans all the time. The Armored Cop is a shining example of how all boots should be made, being a perfect combination of moulded detail parts and material where flexibility is required. A great shame SS's Snake Plissken boots weren't done the same way.
Not necessarily.
Cap donned his original costume for the final battle in Winter Soldier with a few minor alterations. Thor seems to be wearing his DarkWorld outfit in A2 and Loki wore the same threads in Dark World as he did in Avengers.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mismatched leather parts is an unusual misstep for Hot toys and such an obvious one as well, odd.
The legs look kinda skinny...
I really wanted HT to nail this figure.
So Michael what exactly are the differences that in the uniform that you noticed other than the course material?
I doubt we'll see this exact costume in another movie, although it is a sweet design. There's a lot of padding underneath the top, and I'm betting that if you were to get that out of there, you'd be able to do some things with the suit, including putting it on a thicker body and yet have better posability. Not sure why they didn't go that route.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great review, as always! Unfortunately, also one which confirms my happiness at leaving this set unordered.

I did also want to mention that the RSS feed for mwctoys.com has been down for a while. The last update there was for Herman Munster, which was a while ago.
Do people still use RSS? I dropped the feed once Google dropped support for it. Are people really still using it?

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Do people still use RSS? I dropped the feed once Google dropped support for it. Are people really still using it?
Well, I still do but mostly because I haven't been able to find an alternative that I like using. But as long as it's not a problem with the site, I'm OK with not having it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I doubt we'll see this exact costume in another movie, although it is a sweet design. There's a lot of padding underneath the top, and I'm betting that if you were to get that out of there, you'd be able to do some things with the suit, including putting it on a thicker body and yet have better posability. Not sure why they didn't go that route.
I'll get my set soon, but what do you mean by top padding? Do you know if it's separate padding layer? or something attached to the costume?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts