One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One diorama I have always wanted to build but just didn't have space for before this summers project is a bombed bridge over a canal,there is a great picture of the 4th armored crossing a drained canal,in the background you can see a small dock with a little hand cranked crane,I've always love that picture!
I have always enjoyed modeling water scenes ,one of things I plan on building this winter is an assault boat to go into my canal dio, there will be a blown bridge so the guys will be using the assault boat to keep crossing while engineers are building a Bailey bridge, they will also be using a row boat left behind by a local.
Since I don't have a local source for thick pieces of styrene I glued old signs together to get my one inch thickness!
I still have some detail work to finish but I wanted to post a picture in this state so you could see the different materials used in it's construction.
It is loosely based on a canal crane in Bamberg Germany,it has a two speed gear set up,which I was able to replicate,I still need to find about 4 feet of chain!
The gears and shafts came from an old printer,one of the old 200 pound monsters,lots of great pieces in there,little chains and sprockets,belts pulleys and gears,I also used some parts from a really old time card clock!

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured I would use the small base that I built the crane on and just incorporate it into the larger diorama later on,I used plaster of paris for everything,I was going to use actual limestone but I couldn't find any thin enough up at my friends rock business and the local red rock just wouldn't look right,I cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon bucket for the crane base then built a frame around the board and poured the plaster in and hand cut the cobble stones after it set up a little,I'll probably lighten the rock later.

· Banned
395 Posts
That's a remarkable scratch-up.

Your inverse approach to figures from the diorama is intriguing. At this scale, such works are potentially world wonders. I'd love to see this project in all its epic glory.

Well done!

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!
My modeling history started with HO scale trains,in that small of a scale the figures were very secondary,even the trains themselves weren't the major focus,it was the scenery that tied all the elements together. Of corse in 1/6th you can get enough detail on a figure to make it the center of attention but I much more enjoy the building of scenery,but it looks empty without people!

· Banned
395 Posts
Thanks!
My modeling history started with HO scale trains
Say, you don't say! So did mine, in fact. (Sans the trains, though, which probably sounds a might strange but it just so happened to be my jambalaya).

However, for me, those minuscule 1/72 figurines were entirely unfulfilling; I simply enjoyed (and still enjoy) building scenery - which, at this scale, certainly poses its own challenges.

Despite being what most folk would call a "history buff," I've never been much interested in modeling actual historic periods, but rather, like to turn loose my imagination on realms of my own making.

Anyway, good to know you, sir.

Again, magnificent craftsmanship, for sure.

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did model trains for many years,but I also did full size military vehicles,but with age came restrictions,the small stuff was too small and the big stuff got too heavy,half of a hood on an M-2 half track weighs 200 pounds!
This scale is a nice in between,big enough that you can get details but small enough that I can pick up a Sherman tank!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.