One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

CA2 Black Widow

6K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Jonlohn 
#1 ·
Picked up the new Black Widow yesterday from Monkey Depot...

The IM2 Black Widow looks like an Amazon warrior compared to the latest...:D

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, she looks like the BLACK widow now rather than the Blue Widow. HT improved the figure in almost every way.
Well, that seems to be true as between IM2 BW and CAWS BW but I'm not so sure that CAWS BW is an improvement on Avengers BW.

That size difference is a big surprise though -- bad news for anybody who might have wanted to display these two or three together as "Evolution of BW's look," being one consistent person. I guess Hot Toys cares that 52 suits of armor can consistently be displayed side by side for Iron Man, but doesn't think anybody would ever display 2 Black Widows together.

I wonder now which is the outlier, and whether IM2 BW is a bit big or CAWS BW is a bit small as HT females go. If memory serves, the A BW (which is the one I have) seemed in comparison photographs to be made smaller then IM2 BW, but not so much that it obviously couldn't represent the same person in identical scale. So I guess it goes: IM2 BW (large) > A BW (Medium) > CAWS BW (Small), and the conclusion is that ScarJo must be shrinking. Maybe they're secretly making her The Wasp. :lol.

#6 ·
The first BW was too tall, but HT had a new body design to show off and didn't care if the height was correct. The 2nd BW is much better perportion in my opinion, but the legs were the shortest of any HT fem body I own (and I own alot of them).
The new BW has a better likeness of ScarJo face wise but the the head seems large to me, perhaps this is because the body is the shortest of the bunch, maybe if the head was on a bigger body it would look normal? For now I think the 2nd's BW is the best or at least until the A2 movie ver is shown.

#7 ·
Great pictorial review and very useful comparison shots, thank you:)

I'd almost forgotten I had this on pre-order (takes a little longer here in the UK) but I'm glad now that I didn't bother with the first two - I so almost bought the second one. This head sculpt is incredible, can't wait to get mine.

#10 ·
I like her as well - these pics make her look good especially in contrast to the IM2 BW where she is a dramatic improvement. Again the "missing link" is Avengers BW, and I think she achieved a similar improvement. So as between A BW and this one CAWS BW, both are better than the IM2 BW, but I'm not sure either one is "better" than the other. I suspect the improvement from IM2 is clear and objective but ranking btwn parallel A BW and CAWS BW may come down to personal preference. I look forward to someone doing a three-way photo comparison (but the number of people who bought all 3 versions and kept them intact as BWs may be small).

#17 ·
Here are some comparison photos I nabbed off BBICN a while ago.

The new head definitely looks bigger. I think it's mostly due to the squarer jaw and the parted hair showing more of the head overall. I don't really like it that much, because I really don't like the hair, but I think the new one looks the most like Scarlett.

#18 ·
Excellent, that's the 3 way comparison I wanted to see, thanks. Got to give HT credit for making everything new and not reusing parts even where the difference wd be small.

I think in a hypothetical world where I was choosing one (and price, collectibility etc weren't issues) I could go with A BW or CAWS BW almost evenly. The sculpt on CAWS BW seems more natural in texture, but she's got this big eyes, almost hypnotized stare that doesn't work for me so much.

#23 ·
She looks to have turned out great, don't have her in hand yet but I did take a few comparison shots with the first two versions right at the bottom here-
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.parker.9674/media_set?set=a.4647762160894.1073741832.1498405807&type=3

I really liked the The Avengers version, reviewed here- http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_053113b.htm
The body and suit allowed for some fantastic poses, and I'm hoping the newer version improves even ore on this with the mixed fabrics of the outfit!

#27 ·
Yeah, it is. However, I don't know if it's more stiff because of the material of the hair, the way the hairstyle was made in the factory, or if it's simply because it's newer (I've had the Avengers one for about 6 months or so).

I don't mind the 'stiffness', though, because there are far fewer loose strands on the Winter Soldier version than on the Avengers one; again, this could be due to the figure being newer, though, and I haven't put any hair product on the older figure since acquiring it.

#29 ·
Just received this figure yesterday along with, the dark world Loki and Thor. Thor and Loki were off the chain. I love both of these figure and other than price and lack of accessories for Loki I have no complaints...BW is another story entirely, if you honestly like that figure please tell me, I just can't see anyone who spent that kind of money and open the figure up and was happy with that...I feel ripped off. the only thing I like about the figure is the head sculpt, but who wants to pay 189 for a head sculpt. the head looks to big for the body. the body has no noticeable curbs and her back side is just flat. if I was Scarjo I would sue Hot toys for this bad misrepresentation of her. recently I watched some piece of lame movie of where she was an alien I think that spent a good portion of the movie nude killing men. that woman had curves. thank goodness I had a spare Hot Toys angelica body around (the last good Hot toy female body they made) and put the head sculpt on it. Looks great IMO but now she is standing around nude. until Hot toys change the design of their female bodies I will not be buying anymore Hot Toys female figures...so i can kiss Gamorra and ripley and possibly Deunan goodbye ....unless I get lucky and get the latter two headsculpt when they are parted out....whew!!!! I had to get that rant off my chest

#30 ·
Well, I honestly like my CA2 Black Widow-- quite a bit. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion and while I share your affinity for the Angelica body, I rather vehemently disagree with every one of your criticisms of BW. You know what they say... beauty is in the etc, etc, etc.

I think you'll make a good portion of your money back by parting it out on ebay. As a side note: I have an Angelica and the IM2 BW uniform looks like it would fit Angelica. I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know for sure. Just kinda visually sized them up next to each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.