One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bloodier than you HAHA!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I got a Testors Airbrush for xmas, and so far, it seems pretty low quality (does anyone have their "Mighty Mini" airbrush and compressor set? I can't seem to get mine to function properly). Can anyone recommend a particular model of airbrush, and a compressor, preferably at entry level? It'd be cool to get some tips on skin tone and technique, painting headsculpts with an airbrush, if anyone can offer some. Thanks, and it's good to be back on the OSW boards!

Edit: Any suggestions on where to get a bald HS of Will Smith?

·
Bloodier than you HAHA!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great link man! Which would you suggest, and what would I need, outside of the compressor and brush itself?

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
After a ton of research, I went with a Sotar 20/20 brush and a Scorpion II compressor. The reasons for the Sotar was that it could handle detail and alter the spray density very easily allowing for good work with either head sculpts or armor detailing. The reason for the compressor decision was that I wanted something very quiet, yet smooth and reliable. The brush cost me about $125 and the compressor about $250, so it was NOT a cheap solution, but I figured it will last me quite some time so I took the hit. Besides, that's only like two or three figures worth of cash ;-(. This hobby is breaking my retirement plans...

As for painting head sculpts with an airbrush, laying down the base coat is about all you can accomplish with any detail to my knowledge. You could also mask the face out and do hair tones. I have personally never heard of anyone doing eyes or similar detail work on a 1/6 scale head sculpt. Don't get me wrong, getting the skin or hair tone done with an airbrush is no small potatoes as I believe it looks fantastic and that is why I got my hook up.

G

·
Yeah Don't forget to Purchase a Respirators Mask. I use my airbrush to mainly paint weapons and gear and weather a little.

·
girly-girl tomboy
94 Posts
one of the benefits of having the tank is it holds a reserve of air and allows a smooth, continuous flow of air for a longer period of time. If you just use a compressor with a hose attached, once the hair in the hose line is depleted (which is rather quickly), it fills again, creating uneven pressure behind your paint. Result-splotchy, irregular coats of paint on whatever you are working on.

One other suggestion, buy a moisture trap for your hose line. I don't know how tanks works in regards to dealing with moisture buildup, but if you try a straight hose line, moisture will condense in the hose and when you least want it to, it will find a way out, making a mess on everything. I never graduated to being good enough with the airbrush to warrant buying a tank.

BTW- I have two Badgers, and one Aztec, and they handle quite differently. Badger is relatively common, and easy to find parts/extras for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.