One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
British Corporal, Cassino, May 1944 .

Most of the figures from the Italian campaign that feature on the various forums are the inevitable Fallschirmjager : we rarely see the Allied side .
For many of the British , Commonwealth , Polish and French soldiers taking part in the long agony at Cassino , it was the Forgotten War , epitomised by the wonderfully cynical song , " We are the D-Day dodgers , in sunny Italy".
The fighting at Cassino , to breach the Gustav line , took forever , and was likened to the trenches in the Great War : in terms of conditions and casualties it certainly resembled it . Searing heat , torrential rain and apalling mud , and freezing winter snows , coupled with some desperately bungled Allied generalship up against a brilliant , epic German defence produced a battle whose ghastliness equalled any other in history.

This figure is an impulse creation : I had most of the parts lying around , and just needed the urge: a Mike Chappell plate was the the needed inspiration , though I've wandered somewhat from the detail of his picture.

Troops in this campaign wore a great variety of uniform : KD , BD , and US war aid items , according to the weather conditions. I elected to do the KD shirt and BD trousers , a common combination :

The head was inspired by some fascinating photos taken by a Dutch photographer in newly liberated territory during the winter of '44-45 : a goldmine of facial types of the British Tommy : thanks to Chris W for pointing out the site to me :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hab3045/sets/72157600161584653/

It's a pleasure to do a Clark Gable moustache : very popular at the time !

The shirt is not the DML " Reggie " one ,which is very hard to find now , but one I found from a Fallschirmjager figure : don't ask which one , I bought it years ago. The fabric was the same , however , so I changed the buttons and Liberated it .

Otherwise it's straightforward : DML BD trousers ( tapered back to the proper width ) and boots , rebuilt scale webbing , and a DML helmet with a hessian cover and a BBI net over it.
The Thompson has a rifle sling rather than the US version : both are appropriate.
The shovel G.S. is one of my own resin ones. Carrying like this must have been damnably uncomfortable , but it was so essential that the soldiers put up with it , and stuck it anywhere about their persons where they could carry it and leave the hands free.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Really sweet looking trooper. I had to look twice at first I thought it was a expertly painted and detailed lead figure, not an equally well painted and detailed action figure.
Jon

·
Registered
360 Posts
British Cassino

I always feel like I'm looking at 1/1 wax musem displays. Your quite the artist.
Cassino is probably my favorite subject of WWII and I feel it is often over looked as well.(Not to say any other fighting was lite duty)
Some great stories of Axis and Allies calling truces to tend to their wounded.
Great figure Tony, Thanks.

·
Humvee Madman
1,401 Posts
Thank you Tony for another fantastic figure. Always such a treat to see your craftsmanship. Everything done in a top notch fashion and very inspirational.

He looks very much like the fellow pictured in your Blanco post, but without the tattoos on his arms. Were you tempted to have a go at the tats? I'd love to see what you would come up with.

Thanks for sharing him.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.