One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but, as reported by Diane at the Open Range Forum, Breyer is introducing a 1/6 scale filly. As a young horse, it is about the size of the traditional Breyer horses. Supposedly the plan is to start a series there and then market mares. Not sure on poses or how extensive their full size horse line would be. But it gives some hope after all these years of seeing a perfect horse model, only to find it is 1/9 scale. Keep a good thought, right?

http://www.breyerhorses.com/index.php?pageId=5985

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
They could have the effect of making 1:6 horses a bit more affordable. and their 1:9 stuff is nice, my daughter had some of those.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Maybe they have finally decided that there is (or could be) a fairly sizeable market for 1:6 scale, what with Barbie, (and similar 11"-12" figures), Hot Toys, Side Show, DiD, DML, TUS, etc, etc, etc....

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Maybe they have finally decided that there is (or could be) a fairly sizeable market for 1:6 scale, what with Barbie, (and similar 11"-12" figures), Hot Toys, Side Show, DiD, DML, TUS, etc, etc, etc....
Or it could be that by now, just about everybody who'd want a Breyer 1/9 or 1/12 horse already has one. Making only model horses is pretty a narrow niche, so how else are they going to keep or expand any marketshare?

Hey Breyer, yo, look over here -- we're those 1/6 guys with open wallets who routinely give Hot Toys etc tons of money. Want some of our business maybe?

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Well, my point was not only that the 1/6 horse market may be attractive but that the 1/9 1/12 horse market may be saturated (except at child entry level).

If I were Breyer I would never do this kind of overcautious, “dip your toe into 1/6” with a foal that’s the same size as 1/9 horse, and let’s just see maybe how it goes. I’d find one strong partnership where established 1/6 guys do the figure and Breyer supplies the horse and gets some real 1/6 collector attention.

Imagine a Hot Toys Lone Ranger with a Breyer-supplied Silver, a Triad Zorro (if they were still around) with a Breyer Horse, a mounted LOTR figure, or maybe a DiD Teddy Roosevelt mounted RoughRider? I think that might be a more effective way to get the entry attention of the 1/6 world, or at least the non-Barbie side of it.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Unfortunately, I suspect that the "non-Barbie side of it" will not make them enough money (and let's face it, money is what will make the difference) to make the venture a sustainable success......when you think about it, billions of Barbies vs thousands of eveything other than Barbie.......?

IMHO, of course......:wink

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I agree, at least at first. "Sustainable "is the key......eventually, as with anything else, we'll have enough horses that we won't need any more.....kinda like WWII Germans.....:lol

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Apart from a very narrow play pattern for actual children of "horse/farm" which is self-contained and a thing unto itself, Breyer is in the unusual position of making its livelihood on selling just one very specific accessory to existing figures. I suspect part of the reason Breyer stayed out of 1/6, even with the tempting Barbie market, is that proportionately they can't justify as much profit on a 1/6 horse as on a 1/12 horse.

OneSixthPolice is absolutely right that the Barbie market is exponentially much larger than the "non-Barbie side of 1/6." But the issue may be more complicated, because although the Barbie side is huge, apart from premium collectors 90% of the Barbie-ers won't remotely consider a $50-$75 horse. But for us Hot Toys 1/6'ers, that's par for the course.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Almost every genre of 1/6th has a use for multiple horses, from Western that could use a whole stage coach team, to a Cavalry unit or any era team to pull artillery etc. Even Afghanistan (at any period in time right up to today) can use horses and mules. This is a very under served market that Breyer could really monopolize if they wanted to. One key factor is they need to make saddles / bridles etc available as separate kits. Hope they are listening.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Apart from a very narrow play pattern for actual children of "horse/farm" which is self-contained and a thing unto itself, Breyer is in the unusual position of making its livelihood on selling just one very specific accessory to existing figures. I suspect part of the reason Breyer stayed out of 1/6, even with the tempting Barbie market, is that proportionately they can't justify as much profit on a 1/6 horse as on a 1/12
Actually the model horse hobby is just as large as the 1/6 scale hobby and its mostly adults who make up the ranks, not children! The riders are very much an accessory to the horses, not the other way round.

I'd love it if they would release some larger horses - they'd be a welcome addition to the 1/6 scene. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Help!

I am looking for a 1/6 horse tack, saddle etc. Similar to the Did walking and standing. This is to complete a group of NWMP circa 1880, using a photo from a site regarding Canadian & British forces.

Can someone please help/advise.

JPBR.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
I would love it if Breyer got into 1/6!! Regarding prices, I noticed they sell a barn for $200, so obviously they already have customers willing to spend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts