One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use Mr. Metal metallic paints, but no matter how much I shake and stir the Brass paint it separates out in seconds. Consequently some painted parts come out shiny brass looking, other bits look flat.

Can anyone suggest anything, or recommend a reliable brass paint?

Thanks,

David.

·
Banned
392 Posts
You can simulate brass colors by using shades of red, orange, and/or browns. I know this technique works with oil painting on canvas and colored pencil or pastel on paper. Please be advised that I am speaking from a purely artistic perspective, but I think the principle still applies. I do know you can mix an acrylic iridescent silver with black and it turns out like a gun metal grey. Please refer to the chest plate on the figure to this link:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81630&highlight=firefly

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I can't recall any brand making brass specifically, maybe Testors/ModelMaster, they make every WW2 colour out there anyway.

For shiny brass like casings or flashing, try Gold paint+a touch of yellow ochre, I use Liquitex, but Testors, Tamiya, or any craft brand should work, all of them carry iridescent gold in some form or another. Copper may be too orangy, but it could work too, or silver with yellow ochre and burnt sienna or something.

That should make it shiny and polished looking, so if you choose to, afterwards wash or drybrush over it with a bit of burnt sienna with a tiny bit of hookers green or the colours RWC noted mixed in to give it the tarnished look, and wipe/brush away what you don't want covered, it'll potentially stick in the recesses and corners of stuff nicely.

If you want to recover the shiniest highlights, touch it up with a bit of drybrushing using the first mixture, or just gold.

Good luck! And let us know your progress or how it turns out!

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
when using METALLIC PAINTS you should never paint directly from the jar. After stirring, take a bit with your stirrir and place some on a non-absorbing surface...dip your brush into this and take it from there.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
On a whim I bought some latex model paint under the Warhammer name. This stuff turned out to be some of the best model paint I've ever used, and they have some great metallics. Best part is you don't need some toxic solvent to thin it or clean your brushes. The goofy part - the names of the paints, orc vomit, bolt gun, elf silver, etc...

http://www.nugaming.co.uk/html/paints.html

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
David,

If its only small bits you are painting, you might want to consider Metallic Leafing Pens made by Krylon. Although they don't make a brass version, they do make a pale gold which might do quite well for brass.

I use their 18k Gold Leafing Pen, the Silver Leafing Pen and they also have a copper and red shimmer pen. These pens produce a a more vivid color than paint usually.

Not sure if you can find them locally in HK, but you can certainly order some.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen, there have been a lot of extremely useful suggestions there - thank you. I think I'll end up trying them all.

The main reason I need it is for cap badges, but also for occasional projects like the feed lip on a Vickers.

Thank you,

David.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Gentlemen, there have been a lot of extremely useful suggestions there - thank you. I think I'll end up trying them all.

The main reason I need it is for cap badges, but also for occasional projects like the feed lip on a Vickers.

Thank you,

David.
Cap badges is what I first got my Krylon Gold Leaf for, David. If you can put your paws on those pens, grab them up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts