One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Very nice - I am a huge fan of 1/6 instruments ( especially when they are so detailed ) That last pic reminds me of an old album cover. Very cool:thumb

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts
That last pic looks great! It really reminds me of a prohibition-era club band.

In reading the description on your blog, it seems you're not quite sure about the sizing on some of the instruments, so since this is one of my (admittedly few) areas of expertise, here are my thoughts (I hope you don't mind- this is meant to be purely informational, not critical in any way)

The saxophone was an ebay find. I bought it two years ago somewhere on ebay Hongkong. It's really a good scale match.
Looks good! I actually have the same one here. Technically, it is scaled about the size of a tenor sax, but it has the neck of an alto. Fortunately, there are relatively few people who would even notice this, so it works and looks good. (And on a technical note, saxes aren't usually considered "brass" instruments, since they are in the woodwind family, but who really cares, right?)

The trumpet is a little bit too small. I bought it at ymak.de
Sure, it's a bit small, but probably close enough. If anyone asks, just tell them it's an "effer" (Eb trumpet) or D, instead of the usual C

The trombone is from an ebay shop: bachpfeiffen a good size I think.
Actually, that one is pretty small. When resting on the floor, most of my trombones come up to about mid-chest on me (I'm 6'). This one is close to the size of an Eb alto trombone, but you never see one with the extra tubing at the top (but then again, I'm a 20+ year trombone player, and possibly the only person on the forum who would know that sort of thing).
Don't feel bad though, I've NEVER seen a trombone that was anywhere near accurate in 1:6, and I have been looking. But that aside, good luck ever getting a figure to hold one correctly without custom sculpting the hands ;)

The cornet is maybe a little bit too big, but acceptable in anyway. It's from the 9 piece set from Top Marken Outlet
That one actually looks pretty good to me. The sculpt is really sort of one of those in-between sculpts where it could be a cornet or it could be a flügelhorn, but size-wise, it looks pretty close.

The French horn is from the same set. Okay, I'm not an expert on brass instruments, but I think the size is okay.
Again, I'd say it's pretty small- maybe 1:8? (And for what it's worth, they're normally played with the bell facing back under the right arm and with the right hand crammed deeply into the bell to help control pitch), but again it's probably close enough that people that don't see one every day would know.

The sousaphone is again from Bachpfeiffen. I don't know about this special form. I friend of mine plays in a Dixie Band. And he has a sousaphone that he has to put around his neck. But I think the size of this one is okay as well.
The sousaphone actually goes around the players shoulders by definition. JP Sousa had them created because regular tubas were too difficult to march with. So, if the hole in the middle isn't big enough for a player's head and one shoulder, it isn't a true sousaphone. Oddly enough, the instrument you have does resemble the extremely rare and widely unused "Wagner Tuba", but no one even knows what those are...

I finally got my band a drumset last week, so I'm really going to have to join the party sometime and post some rehearsal pictures! :lol

-=EDIT=-
After posting the above, it dawned on me that it may have come across as being rather critical, which was not my intent at all. I was really just trying to provide answers to some seemingly unanswered questions.
Musical instruments in accurate 1:6 are usually few and far between, and shy of making them for oneself, "close" is often as close as one can get. Also, the designs of many instruments have changed drastically in the last 200 years or so, and many of the older instruments survive today. So while it is rare to see a "weird" instrument in modern use, it definitely is not unheard of. I have a 160 year old trombone I use on certain gigs, and an Eb alto horn that is nearly as old that most fellow brass players can't even identify. ;)

Regardless, it's an impressive collection, and one that should rightfully be shown off. I think the only thing I've got on you is my piano:
http://sixthscale.kotonashi.net/projects/piano/piano.jpg
:lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love the concept but my only criteria would be about how some of the instruments are being held when simulating play. Obviously, it will be hard to have your figures "hold" some of the instruments due to lack of bendy fingers. However, your trombonist should be able to get his left hand around the top of the slide near the true to life attachment point. I say this only because I play a 'bone as well.

The same for the trumpet players

and easily the french horn player.

Other than that, I really like your set up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ ZiggyXIV & Hispanicgamer
Thanks for your help guys. As I wrote on the blog, I'm not an expert on brass.
So every help and advise is appreciated.
Ziggy, I'd like to post your comments as an addition to that chapter in the blog comments. Is'that okay for you?

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts
@ ZiggyXIV & Hispanicgamer
Thanks for your help guys. As I wrote on the blog, I'm not an expert on brass.
So every help and advise is appreciated.
Ziggy, I'd like to post your comments as an addition to that chapter in the blog comments. Is'that okay for you?
No problem! If you'd like anything clarified or edited before posting, drop me a PM. I can go into as much or as little detail as you want ;)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Very nice indeed, who is the guy in the pale suit? He looks so much like Sonny Barberio, a character from Clive Barker's Son of Celluloid graphic novel. Give him some round glasses and he'd be dead on.

CHEERS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts