One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted originally by Shropt in the Sideshow forums:

I want to pass this information on to the members here.

People are trying to organize a boycott of eBay for the week of February 18th through the 25th. This means no buying, selling, or searching.

Why?

Ebay is planning on increasing fees across the board and destroying the current feedback system for sellers.

Paypal is also planning changes that will allow them to hold on to your money, interest free, for 21 days.

Don't like these changes? What can you do?

First watch this video:

Then read the discussion on the official ebay boards to see what you can do including cancelling your paypal account and getting helpful phone numbers and email addresses.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...290&start=2240

Lets see what we can do.

Posted by Darklord Dave:
Interesting interview with the new CEO -
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/...02/abu0208/s04

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why are they increasing fees? Is the cost of "production" for their "services" jumping up? Seems kind of unfair to me. Some fees, including some shipping fees and the fee for listing any item on eBay, are pretty crappy.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
Why would the new CEO say those things? He's insulting what Ebay is and does. It make no sense. Is there another source quoting him? I find that very strange....

By the way, the 2nd and 3rd links don't work.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
In theory, this is a great idea, but more often than not it has little or no effect.

Even though I live in Silicon Valley, have friends that work at Ebay, I will support the boycott.

People need to remember though, Ebay is not solely to blame. Price increases started with the oil companies and have trickled down to everywhere else.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
I see it doing no good, like most boycotts. Besides if there is something worth sniping I'm on it.
To be honest I hope a lot of people do boycott...means more bargains for me.

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
I just got an email from them (within the last week) saying they were lowering prices? WTF?

I'm with ya Keith, February 18th through the 25th.....week of the snipers!!

·
Enjoying the View
1,136 Posts
Just watch, everyone's holly grail shows up at "Buy it Now" during the boycott period...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
well, i guess if auctions end at low prices, ebay "loses" out on a bigger chunk had they maintained their fair share. their fees are steep. and its not even cost effective to sell through them. we need a site that can utilize simiiliar format that users can list myriad of items for sale with set price or take offers for.

any other auction sites worth visiting as alternative ? (ebay does sort of have a monopoly, and i heard yahoo auctions couldn't compete and folded).

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Buy It Now ruined Ebay. Plus, they really need to find a way to regulate gross shipping charges. That's usually the deal-breaker.

Screw 'em. Something else will come along. There's nothing new under the sun.

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
Why don't we do an auction of our own? The proceeds for listing and such could go for maintaining the board server and needed updates. I think with the proper guidelines and supervision it could work better than what was tried before, and failed.

Just a thought.....

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Won't work.I'm sure everyone has recieved the gas station boycott email and letters.Doesn't work there either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts