One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this bash may look like the love child of Rambo and Tinky Winky (now there's a scary thought!!) but he's actually based on an illustration in Osprey's second "Yugoslav Wars" title.
He represents a Bosnian Vojnik (soldier) in the winter of 1992/93. During this time the Bosian army was desperately short of cold weather uniforms and resorted to making their own. Unfortunately the only suitable cloth available in bulk was from a clothing factory that had been making ladies' coats. Without time or resources to redye the cloth, the Bosnians used it as it was (in various shades of purple and pink!!) to create uniforms based on US designs. He's armed with the Yugoslav copy of the MG42, called the M53 it appeared almost identical to the original but had a slower rate of fire.

I bleached a DML James Ford uniform and repainted it with fabric paint (unfortunately the areas where DML had applied weathering on the original didn't take the paint very well and it took several coats - the end result is a bit blotchy but I'm pretty peased with it)

Thanks for looking - comments always welcome (and I hope everyone's enjoying the Christmas hols and has a great New Year :cheers: )

·
Well Rumpled
1,014 Posts
Great bit of history and a cool bash.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Very unique! I recognize that from the book, very cool!

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
Very well done and unique. Now that you show this, it reminds me that I had actually come across a set of this in Kosovo a few years later. Found it in an abandoned house. Never knew about the effort to produce the uniform as you described. If I had of known, it would be here with me right now instead of being left behind as garbage. :knock :D

·
OSW Pug Warrior
5,658 Posts
Colorful and original, great tale & also, interesting info on the MG, and very nice uniform paintwork :thumb Did any of the pink uni's see action?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments
Brave Rifles - I wasn't sure if such uniforms were actually made/used (I only had the Osprey pic/text to go on - googling for pics/more info drew a blank) but your info makes me a bit happier about it being at least plausible!!
Cheers
Greg

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Nice bash, even if its an unholy love child ;) Interesting bit of recent history, must have been a page turner for you to pursue the 1/6th incarnation so well.
I wonder how visible they were, probably not as much in urban settings?

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Interesting uniform color for sure, thanks for the background and figure looks good.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Sweet bash:) The fabric paint looks like it did a champion job. Did you use the pen based fabric paint/ink?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
I used Dylon fabric paint (comes in small pots but they do fabric pens too) - very easy to use you just paint it on and then iron it to fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts