One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(From Osprey No 107)

As the mounted forces pursued the Boers, vital points were defended by blockhouses manned by small garrisons of infantry. Temperatures within these concrete and corrugated iron structures were often oven-like, resulting in the dress shown. This figure wears a set of the webbing bandolier and belt equipment bought from the Mills equipment company (who supplied similar items to the U.S. Army) and later adapted with leather flaps to prevent ammunition loss. The problem of ammo loss was a headache to the British forces as the Boers were able to supply their cache of captured Lee Enfields with the found bullets.
Bandoliers held 50, 70 or 100 rounds, belts 60 or 80 rounds.

Both belt and bandolier were scratchbuilt using cotton tape. The tape was painted first then each loop was formed over a panel pin. The panel pin was removed before it could stick to the inside of the loop.

A leather flap was added to the bandolier. This is a continuous flap unlike the similar leather bandolier which had a separate flap covering every ten tubes. I managed to scrape together enough BBi bullets to fill his belt and bought Battlegear Toys rounds for his bandolier. The metal rounds give a satisfying bit of weight to the bandolier. I'm very grateful to Richie Elbourne of British Buckles for sending me some spare bits and pieces for making the fasteners.

The figure and head used here are Hot Toys. I've used Sideshow hands. His head and hands have had a repaint and he has a Milliput moustache. I did try the 'real' hair 'tache but it was laughable so it came off :oops:

I Milliputted over his wrist joints and all the exposed skin on this figure has had a repaint in oils.

His shirt is from one of the British WW1 Sideshow figures, his slouch hat is made from felt with a Grenadier badge by Tony. The pugree is handwound and the hackle came from my kids' bits and bobs box :wink: His trousers are Sideshow ACW, puttees are hem tape and the boots are again, WW1 Sideshow.

His 1895 General Service iron waterbottle is scratchbuilt as is his haversack. I was only able to find two small images showing how the bandolier was joined. This is my attempt at emulating it. The leather bandolier fastened with a buckle over the shoulder.

His Mk1 Lee Enfield is a BBi MK3 with the front section cut off and replaced with shaped plasticard. The barrel is brass tubing that goes all the way to under the sight. The breech has had quite a lot of modifications to it and Tony's dial sight and other conversion parts have been added also. The leather sling is scratchbuilt.
Not visible is the Mk3 1888 bayonet. It sits in a scratchbuilt leather frog and can be fitted to the rifle.

I've dusted him up a bit with weathering powders but probably not nearly enough. Whilst working on this figure I had in my mind the paintings of the artists of the era who romanticised the soldiers involved in the conflicts of the time. This is probably why he looks a bit more stylised than completely realistic.

Hope you like him folks
All comments are welcome. I'm off back into my blockhouse.

Andy

·
Keeping 360 security
546 Posts
excellent figure and i like the concept of figure bashes from other eras.
It reminds me of an Australian film that cover that period.....

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Excellent custom figure! Even the hair on the arms looks real! VERY cool work! :thumb

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice job Andy. The Mills belt is exceptionally well done. Thank G-d for athletic tape. I used it too for the Mills' belts I made for my Spanish-American War figures but yours came out particularly nice. Any chance you could post a photo showing how you suspended the bayonet?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the comments folks. He's become one of my favourite figures very quickly. I didn't plan him much, just started making the belt and bandolier and built him up from there.
nomelrw; I find it very interesting to track the evolution of British equipment from the adoption of the 1871 Valise equipment, through the various Slade/Wallace configurations and into the webbing used in the Great War.
aluffarb; Mark, here's the pic you asked for. Afraid it's a bit out of focus. I couldn't find any proper pics of the bayonet frog hanging from the Mills belt so I summised they either adapted their frogs to slip over the belt or there was enough room in the frog's loop to slip over the belt even though it was obviously deeper than the conventional belt.

I'm not familiar with athletic tape. Is it self adhesive or is it like cotton tape and has to be glued?

Andy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.