One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen or heard of anything like this before

Picked this up in a trade and noticed that the hair and face were removable. Underneath is a slotted turning device which raises and lowers 'eyes' and mouth. Possibly because of its age it's not very effective - you can't see any noticeable difference with the face on the HS.

Does anyone have any information about this?

It was only after I took these that I found out there is another position - 'eyes' up and mouth closed. I didn't get a photo of it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That sculpt is one of the first released by BBI, that came with their SAS/GSG-9/Delta/SEAL/USMC Recon figures.
They were pretty widely available, you could buy them in Australian K-mart for as little as $20 around 2001.
I think my second boxed figure was the Delta figure.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I have this somewhere, I think it was the most common. I don't think BBI did the gimmick any favors using it with camo as opposed to a normal face which might have looked better. I also picked up a normal face one whose face had deteriorated and broken -- it's a actually a cool zombie bash that happened accidentally. The fragility is also always going to be the problem if Phicen or anybody tries something like this so it may remain just a gimmick. Even all the "Eagle-eye GI Joe," PERS eyeball things never really caught on.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Correcting my last post: my deteriorated moveable face one is made by Hasbro. It has a button in the chest that opens the mouth, and it takes batteries so I assume it used to shout commands. The rubber has rotted so it's become a unique terminator/zombie bash that happened by accident. Kinda cool?

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correcting my last post: my deteriorated moveable face one is made by Hasbro. It has a button in the chest that opens the mouth, and it takes batteries so I assume it used to shout commands. The rubber has rotted so it's become a unique terminator/zombie bash that happened by accident. Kinda cool?

That looks great!

·
Fueled by Twix.
836 Posts
Is that the Blue Box Delta Force figure? I remember when those first came out, about $30 a figure. I got multiples of most of them. Last year I dusted a couple off to use with KGB Hobby sets and noticed the mouths were starting to separate from the rubber.

It came with a plastic "key" that fits into the slot in the back of his head with the Elite Force logo on it.

·
muscledog
400 Posts
Cool!

I have this Indiana Jones by Hasbro who opens his mouth when we press a buttom on his back. I've seen some of them with deteriorated rubber that looks like MAM's zombie.

Hat Fedora Sun hat Cowboy hat Metal

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
afaik BBI's ohio swat figure had such features too. really odd feature, and the head i had broke at the neck. so i never did get to see it work well. would be nice to see them come back.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Unfortunately, the days of these types of innovations in an affordable figure are long gone.

Now, the innovation seems to target how close manufacturers can get a piece to look like a real movie prop and silicone boobs. Price is no object.

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Yes, all the original BBi figures had that feature. Three had face paint, three did not (IIRC). These were THE first figures BBi made back in 2000(?).

Yep, that's the G.I.Joe "Voice FX" Duke from 2004. Cool thing was, the harder you pushed the button, the louder the voice. So he could "talk" or "shout."

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Yes, all the original BBi figures had that feature. Three had face paint, three did not (IIRC). These were THE first figures BBi made back in 2000(?).
Yep, that's the G.I.Joe "Voice FX" Duke from 2004. Cool thing was, the harder you pushed the button, the louder the voice. So he could "talk" or "shout."

Thanks, it's good to pin that down. I knew that it was pretty close to the build of the Hasbro Indiana Jones above but I knew mine wasn't actually Indy. I think I remember seeing one of these at a TRU way back in its day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts