One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
retired firefighter
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i would bet that everyone has seen BlackHawk Down or has read the book. In the book it is mentioned that 4 Navy SEALS were in the convoy,ok,lets throw this one around what type of gear do you think they wore? uniform? head gear? has anyone ever seen any pics of them over there? any info would be great,thanks

·
I'm kind of a big deal
358 Posts
Protec helmet would be the norm. Probably PT body armor. Web gear would be a mix of ALICE, and some sort of TAC vest(either ABA, eagle industries, SOMAV, or something home made). Uni would have been 3 color DCU's.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I wonder if they'd have gone with the 6c covered PASGT rather than a Protec, since they'd be riding in the trucks and would rate ballistic protection over bump pro.
From reference pictures they look like they'd have looked more like the Rangers, though a bit more lax?

·
Miscreant & Ne'er-do-well
1,373 Posts
A friend of mine who was in the theater around that time told me you could tell who was Delta and who was a Ranger by their scalps. I shall explain:

Rangers always sported "high-and-tight" haircuts, therefore their scalps were as tan as their faces due to equal sun exposure. A lot of the Delta guys got similar haircuts once in Somalia so as to stand out a little less, but since they hadn't sported those hairstyles normally, the sides of their heads were as white as mushrooms.

Although I have no references that SEALS did the same thing, it is highly possible and might be a nice subtle touch.

Not really a uniform reference, I know, but a nice little factoid someone might find useful.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
These are the pics I based my figure off of. I got them off Militaryphotos.net when a ex-SEAL member posted them a few years ago...I kind of just assumed what head gear and tactical gear for my bash but copied the use of the ACOG from the pics. not sure if all of them are from Somalia but a few of them do look like it from what I read of the thread..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.