One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stryker2011,
All movements are actuated by 9 servos with cables, pulleys and timing belts- some in the body and some under the floor. It is impossible to control them live, they are all programmed and orchestrated by a micro controller integrated with a sound card, amplifier and speaker.

This is my first 1/6 scale diorama. I wonder if there is better way to create the corrugated tin wall (everywhere in Mogadishu)? I made them from tearing the backing off corrugated cardboard. They look fine from a distance but at close range, you can see lot's of remnant paper fibers still clinging on the the surface, destroying the illusion of metal. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Pat Leong

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Heya Pat!

You have some AMAZING hobby skills... very impressive work!

A suggestion for the corrugated metal: look for corrugated wrap from shipping and packing stores. It’s basically just the corrugated part of cardboard by itself or sometimes with a backing sheet on one side. Usually comes in a roll, should be just the thing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heya Pat!

You have some AMAZING hobby skills... very impressive work!

A suggestion for the corrugated metal: look for corrugated wrap from shipping and packing stores. It's basically just the corrugated part of cardboard by itself or sometimes with a backing sheet on one side. Usually comes in a roll, should be just the thing!
Russcal, Thanks a bunch for the packing store tip, I will check it out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! You do have some amazing skills Pat. You know that that is not a Blackhawk Heli, but you already know this. LOL! Another great, great job on this as well!
Divinator, you have sharp eyes! you're one of two out of hundreds who have noticed the HUEY impostor. I intend to add more damage to it so it would be less recognizable.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,326 Posts
Divinator, you have sharp eyes! you're one of two out of hundreds who have noticed the HUEY impostor. I intend to add more damage to it so it would be less recognizable.
Well that is a hela of a job! Pat...I wouldn't change anything.

BTW the Cobra is awesome! I saw most of on line on utube.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Wow, that's cool. One of my all time favorite movies and 1:6 kitbash subjects.

Have you thought about adding any music from the movie's soundtrack?

"Barra Barra" (first half) Barra Barra - Black Hawk Down - YouTube

"Chant" (second half) Black Hawk Down (2001) Chant (Soundtrack OST) - YouTube

I associate 3-color camo for the Rangers and black tactical vests, pro-tecs, etc for the Deltas. There are TONS of threads on OSW with Black Hawk Down bashes and reference pics.

Awesome stuff man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Jeffajab,
Thanks for the kind words. It wasn't meant to be serious reenactment of the movie, more of a cartoonish rendition to showcase the possible movements of the hero soldier. While I love the suggested soundtracks, I don't think most audience will be able to associate them with the movie.
Regarding the outfit: I confused them with the ones worn in Desert Storm. The Somalia Task Force Rangers should have light green in the camo pattern; I will replace it once my order arrives. I have tried on the green body armor worn by the characters in the movie but it severely restricted the body and neck movements, so I scratched it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
WIP update on the diorama:
The cardboard route to create the corrugated tin walls doesn't work out- the scale is too small. I found Plastruct styrene sheets that were perfectly scaled for 1/6, though they call it 1/16.

Also shown here is how I concealed the 2 servos needed to lift him and slide his feet together by driving a timing belt system under the floor.

Will be adding a couple of oil drums in the background, where I will install a smoke system under them. The idea is to create foggy/smokey background lit by hidden lights inside the drums. The corrugated wall serves as a dark background that contains the smoke and make them more visible. A lot more work to do:)
Pat Leong

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow, that's cool. One of my all time favorite movies and 1:6 kitbash subjects.

Have you thought about adding any music from the movie's soundtrack?

"Barra Barra" (first half) Barra Barra - Black Hawk Down - YouTube

"Chant" (second half) Black Hawk Down (2001) Chant (Soundtrack OST) - YouTube

I associate 3-color camo for the Rangers and black tactical vests, pro-tecs, etc for the Deltas. There are TONS of threads on OSW with Black Hawk Down bashes and reference pics.

Awesome stuff man!
Jeffajab, I took your advice and swapped out the music with 2 from BHD soundtrack. I have to say it really works well and places it in its geographical context. Needs some tweaking but I think it's a keeper. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts