One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Black Powder Red Earth: "All Kill-No Capture!"- His call sign is Panzer

Hey guys,

This is my Cold Harbor "Special Projects" Operator, based of course on the well known graphic novel series "Black Powder Red Earth".

In a way you could say that I went off the reservation :) with this, since its a fictional story, but as you will see below there are plenty of real world 1:1 references that made this very interesting and HSLD in a very realistic way.

The BPRE character I chose is this one. Call sign "Panzer" he is a team leader for the Special Projects department of the Private Military Company Cold Harbor. Not a protagonist but is probably the most "promoted" character outside the novels, maybe because of his interesting looks.

And here is my version....

[ For hi-res photos, please right click on photo "open image in new tab" and you will get to Photobucket]

Dress and kit was based on the collaboration the BPRE team seems to have nowadays with the gun manufacturer Bravo Company Manufacturing USA (BCM) and the gear/training company Haley Strategic, owned by Travis Haley, a veteran of USMC Force Recon.

So Mayflower APC plate carrier, D3CR chest rig, Arcteryx Gryphon halfshell, battle belt, jeans, were the order of they day. Here is the 1:1 reference from Haley Strategic and the BPRE Tumblr

All the kitbash soft gear was repainted Coyote since the D3CR chest rig and Plate Carrier came from the MC Toys "Eryx Soldier", (in Kryptek camo) while the battle belt is from a SS USMC set. Backpack is from a ZY TOYS Multicam sniper set. The Gryphon halfshell is E&S- and very nice, although a bit on the big side, even for the E&S body.

Beets are SS Vasque Breeze, (a pain in the @ss to make them compatible with the E&S body) partly repainted to look like the real thing and weathered, although on this bash weathering was done with a very light hand

No Glock 34s in 1/6 (yet) so I used a DAM Glock 17 and a SERPA CQC holster plus an RMR- and a Taran Tactical extended Magazine from E&S.

There are plenty of guns in the Cold Harbor BPRE universe, and you guessed it, they are based on BCM rifles with the KMR hand guards and BCM "Gunfighter stocks and grips. Oddly some of them use the Knights QDC line of suppressors, and yes, the awesome 1.5-8X26 Schmidt & Bender PM-II scope.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: Black Powder Red Earth: "All Kill-No Capture!"- His call sign is Panzer

No BCM stock and KMR Handguard available in 1/6 so I used the very close in specs - and GREAT looking- Noveske NSR 14 inch handguard, 3D designed and printed by our fellow members Delusional and General Sam.

The stock is a VLTOR EMOD, and the 1.5-8X26 S&B scope was 3D designed and printed by our member Wun Lung, together with a separate La Rue scope mount, with ring mounted base for a Red-dot sight, in this case an Aimpoint T-1.

The Knights QDC/QCB suppressor was 3D designed and printed by Uramegak and me :) while the BCM Gunfighter grip came from the E&S PMC Urban Operations Assaulter. The Surefire 60 round mag, by E&S was a natural choice for this bash.

A couple of custom patches were made for me by Robin at onesixthscaleking.com for this bash, based on actual 1:1 patches , made by the BPRE team. The bad-ass "All Kill No Capture" shoulder patch and the Cold Harbor cap patch

On the other shoulder, a regular low light IR US flag and a blood patch, no room for the NKDA one :( On the backpack another patch from onesixthscaleking.com that looked... fitting.

The HS is Crazy Dummy, (but on the Easy&Simple body) chosen because it represents an older "experienced" guy, who is supposed to be a Tier-1 unit veteran, and also because it kinda looks like Token's (main protagonist in BPRE) darker brother :lol :lol

Now here is the Airsoft side of the house :) and some more graphic references for your enjoyment. Also note the Arcteryx Kneepads the D3CR and the radio on battle belt.

This is it folks, it was a project I enjoyed immensely (while also reading and re-reading the novels-can't wait for the Yemen batch of new ones) and I hope you enjoy it too.

Thanks for looking, any comments and feedback will be most welcomed :thanks

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts

Very very awesome work :thumb
Love the documentation too.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,894 Posts

KOTM nominee for certain.

Thank you for posting/sharing.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

Really nice figure, very aesthetic. The new gen long rifles are good looking, but I like the older type rifles used in the illustrations.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Very very awesome work :thumb
Love the documentation too.
Thanks Ryan, this was lots of fun. And got me reacquainted with the details for some nice gear, during the research/documentation part :)

KOTM nominee for certain.

Thank you for posting/sharing.
:thanks for the kind words DFC, really glad you liked it so much :dancing

Hope you remember it when the time comes :wink hahaha

Hmm that's a complimentary grunt right? :think :lol :lol

Thanks for your feedback Uswin :)

Really nice figure, very aesthetic. The new gen long rifles are good looking, but I like the older type rifles used in the illustrations.
Thanks PD, yeah he is "dressed to kill", but literally :lol

Tried to add small touches of modern gun fighting techniques, like the single quick reload 5.56 magazine on a weak side belt mounted Fastmag pouch, (something Travis Haley seems to favor), or the forward mounted gun accessories, that go with modern fast controlled fire shooting (in c-clamp fashion)

In the BPRE novels, older guns are mostly used in the first half, then the Operators get a new batch with Keymod rails. The interesting thing is all the gun photos posted here are by the BPRE team, in concert with BCM.

Note that there has already been a "Cold Harbor-SOPMOD special" 1:1 gun actually custom made as a limited edition by BCM, for BPRE fans !!!

Here is a photo of that particular gun with Cold Harbor Unit ID (!) laser engraved on both upper and lower receiver.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

Yoiks, it's been brewing for some time, but fashionista gun couture...definite future shock.

·
1:6 Warrior
1,595 Posts

Awesome sauce.

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,007 Posts

That was an enjoyable kitbash. I've never hearc of this graphic novel but it's great to see how it inspired you

Well done! :thumb

xavier

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Yoiks, it's been brewing for some time, but fashionista gun couture...definite future shock.
Yup there is quite a bit of demand for weapons that are "limited editions" or have a certain "signature" the last few years. Designer rifles with futuristic lines are also getting a lot of attention, even as 3 gun "race guns"

Awesome sauce.
Thanks bro, really glad you liked it. :thanks

Very cool :thumb
Thanks for the kind words man!

That was an enjoyable kitbash. I've never heard of this graphic novel but it's great to see how it inspired you

Well done! :thumb

xavier
:thanks basx, very happy you enjoyed it. Check the novel out on the web, its pretty good if you like this kind of stuff. BPRE and also "The Activity", about ISA. The thing is direct input from US SOF veterans helps them have very realistic gear and tactics/procedures.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Great Figure and Artwork !
Thanks for the kind words, very happy you appreciated it.

Absolute badass, bro!
He is definitely badass man, :) :thanks for the feedback

Killer. Wonder what is in store?
Pray tell my good lord :drool :drool Have noticed the "connection" so to speak :wink

Glad you liked it guys :thanks

Have seen that my kitbash made the Black Powder Red Earth Facebook page, and I suspect that it had something to do with you, so... thanks again.

It's a great pleasure having it there for all the BPRE fans to see :bowing

·
Registered
632 Posts

I don't know this univers :thumb
Well done and great job tigerstr :bravo
Congrats to be on their FB page :applause

Does Blackopstoys / MSE have the same project ?

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey Axirun, thanks for the kind words my friend :thanks :thanks

Yes, I believe they do have something on the BPRE theme in the works (with the actual BPRE team involved!) and I guess it will be packed with new super-cool stuff :drool

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Thanks for providing the background as well as the detailed breakdown of how you put the figure together. This type of figure appears deceptively simple, but the details of your figure shows there's a lot more involved in making a realistic operator.

Sheesh, my guys look like mish-mashes of parts now.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to really look at the bash in depth bro. Much appreciated :thanks

Have to confess though, that my interest in such topics, i.e. weapons, gear, shooting, tactics, load outs etc extends beyond the 1/6 world. So making the bash realistic is for me a great part of the fun :) :)

In this case the load out and positioning of kit follows the Travis Haley ( owner of Haley Strategic- former Force Recon Marine) style for an agile urban operator. The battle belt holds essentials like the pistol, his main gun "quick reload" 556 fastmag, plus his MBITR radio. His medical pouch is attached with Velcro below the D3CR chest rig. Note that All the 5.56 magazines have CTT Solutions Mag Caps, like Travis Haley uses (designed by Mike Panone ex- CAG) for magazine protection and quicker handling.

He also carries a smoke grenade and a frag while his total 5.56 ammo is 7 normal mags worth if you count the 60 rounder Surefire on the rifle.
The rifle itself is light and slim, ( the Noveske NSR rail an extra slim rail plays a big part here) but with a 16 inch barrel making it a "recce" rifle, good for much longer shots, while the scope is very high end allowing close combat shots and precision fire out to 800 yards, (even further than the really effective range of the rifle)

The T-1 is more of a back up, for an emergency close shot while the scope is on high magnification.

Rant over :lol :lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts