One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, back from a little R&R down in Baja and I've been chompin at the bit to get back to finishing a few projects. In between unpacking the suitcases I cut a sheet of plexiglass for the window and set it in place.

I'll finish trimming it out tomorrow, but threw a little sunset in the back to give me a garage with a view :dancing It does look very cool back-lit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A little more progress this week.

Rollin in the box

A little 1/6 scale of the 1/6 scale! Yea it is a working RC very cool to see it drive around him when he has a TX in hand. I'll shoot a video of it this week.

Wheelin the torch over.

I got the bottles last year off ebay but made the cart. I made some run-of-the-mill tire and wheels for it but ran into these little mags I had from a project 15 or 20 years ago and tried um on for size.

I have to find a spot for my roached bullet ridden hwy 66 sign.

In case you were wondering what the hole to the right of the window was for.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Working on an air compressor today. I had a mini compressor from a previous project, but needed to size things up for this build.

The main part (the tank) was easy enough using a water bottle.

Kind of hard to make out the details of the top and air pipe, but here it is anyway.

Roughing out a base support.

Compressor and regulator mounted, wired and plumbed.

This will fit in nicely into the corner and plumbed into the air system. I'll come up with a decal and data plate to finish it off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I needed to scale up a welder, so I started with a welding cart. I searched around the interwebs for one to loosely base one off of.

To scale up the ground clamp I made it similar to the Jumper cables I made last year (cutting down some alligator clips and adding handles.

A made a new welding gun, installed the retaining chain for the gas bottle and pieced it all together.

I had originally painted the buzz box blue and was going to hang some Miller logo on it, but the blue turned out too dark, so I stripped it and hit it with the red and a Lincoln Electric patch.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Ooh, love the novel bits you've added to your garage. Is everything scratch made?
I really like the ground clamps. Need to make myself some jumper cables or something eventually :p
Real nice work all around!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ooh, love the novel bits you've added to your garage. Is everything scratch made?
I really like the ground clamps. Need to make myself some jumper cables or something eventually :p
Real nice work all around!
The Snap-on box is obviously not, the welder proper is from a 1/10 scale project (in pieces, I had just needed the louvered panel so that needed to be refurbish and rebuilt) luckily welders come in all shapes and sizes so I just needed to up scale the accessories to a 1/6 size. The compressor pump was being used as a vacuum pump in a steampunk desk art in a previous life, so it will now live on as a full size standup air compressor pump for a while.

Those items could be reconstructed out of styrene easy enough, but I love to re-purpose things and not have to reinvent the wheel when it's just sitting there on the workbench.

As a side note; I absolutely love the stretchy silicone tube material. I have been using it anywhere I need hose, line or electrical cabling. I found it at Joanns in the necklace building section.

Ten or so years ago I was going to make some stop motion shorts on a 1/6th scale and collected a ton of stuff in the process, so I'm hoping to utilize as much of it as I can. But, whatever I don't have that I need, I'll try and make.

Those jumper cable were pretty simple; You just need to cut back the nose of the alligator clip, then roll the nose down. The short leg of the clip can be fitted around any piece of round stock, cut to the proper length then heat a piece of shrink tube over it, Easy peasey... and they would actually work!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Time to slide in a couple of work benches.

I picked up some flat bar and round stock at the local hardware store and cobbled together a two different length workbenches.

I buffed out the bench tops, I'm not sure if I will leave them bare or paint them. In the pacific northwest the steel has a tendency to rust if left unprotected.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Stunningly awesome, just magnificent attention to detail. You sir, are a master!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stunningly awesome, just magnificent attention to detail. You sir, are a master!
Thanks for the kind words, just havin a little fun with it.

My mop turned out better than I had expected and only took a couple of minutes. It was a trial run with a too short of a wooden dowel. I'll hang this one up somewhere and make another with the proper length handle.

Bruce! Why so serious?

·
Registered
89 Posts
BitterEnd,

Simply amazing work! Your creativity and craftsmanship is out of this world! My favorite part about following your threads is the fact that I can actually see so many of my endless ideas/projects come to life showing its possible and that I could only hope it turns out half as amazing as yours!

I must ask, where can the mini working rc's be found, and/or any other helpful details?

I'll be subscribing to plenty of your builds, and may have a handful of questions in the future.

Once again, simply astonishing work, and thank you for keeping me motivated and showing me what is truly possible in the amazing 1:6 world!

MC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey MC,

There are a couple of layers to your question about the mini RC.

First is the controller; the real one and the scale one.

The real 2 channel radio is small is size but is still way too large to be passed of as usable by a 1/6.

As a platform for the scale TX, I cut out a section of a 1/6 shotgun then added the components out of styrene as needed to have it resemble a full size; like the battery compartment, electronics, and the antenna. I also borrowed a wheel from a donor Hot Wheels for the steering wheel.

Taking a close look it, it's now easy to see the the grip section, but on first glance I think it looks pretty true to the shape and size at scale.

There are lots of different styles and sizes to choose from on eBay

1:60 Mini RC Radio Remote Control Pickup Monster Truck and Jeep | eBay

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I ran across some poplar down at the local hardware store, it looked pretty close to the door opening that I had framed in (less cuts +++). As luck would have it, it was a perfect fit! After a few one eyed squints with my thumb in the way it started to take shape.

Poplar is a pretty soft wood so chiseling out a spot for the hinges to live was easy enough... measure once, cut twice!

I test fit of the trim pieces and it's ready to put together.

Lastly, I clamped everything up so the glue will dry and all of the pieces will stay put.

I left it dry overnight and unclamped it the next morning.

I think it will work out fine. I had zero room to spare sliding it into place. Here is a shot from the outside of the garage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was also able to finish off the safe tonight (one more thing on a growing list to cross off)!

I concealed the safe with a hinged cork-board; using a thin piece of metal glued to the back of the cork-board and strong magnets on the backside of the wallboard. It stays closed tight til your swing it open.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've been toying around with different garage art for a while, so tonight I printed some up and scaled it down to the right size. I wanted it to be a little more than taping a picture to the wall, so I mounted them to some .060 styrene.

I mounted a few pieces up on the wall, I hope it works out because that 3M industrial two sided tape is there for keeps, it doesn't like to give up anything that you've attached it to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you for the Intel! I'll definitely be looking into some of those! I appreciate it! That remote is stunning, I love the ingenuity that went into it! You rock.

As for your safe, door, and signage, absolutely superb! Watching this build makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning, full of excitement to see what's next.

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A new project for the shop this week, and taking up way too many man (or woman) hours!

What man cave would be complete without a lift for his scoot?

Yes, swivel castors!

I think I'm ready to tear it down for paint. I'll be pounding the dents out of the lift top later today while the paint dries then it will be ready for final assembly and some detail work. I think I have found a new favorite medium - brass!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I need to run a couple of power wires and a plug in tomorrow and it's a wrap.

I really need to get the power plant nailed down on this garage. I have an old power supply from a long gone computer that should supply voltage across the spectrum so I can start putting in the lights.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts