One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Doubt it. I'm still waiting for a new service rifle and ACU camo. You know as well as I that the Army moves slower than a turtle on new technology.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't doubt it. We are providing corrective eye surgery today.

The areas of prosthetics and mind control is advancing significantly.

17 years is a long time. There have been huge leaps in tech since desert storm which was about 20 years ago.

As an aside the new service rifle isn't going to happen until there's a leap in tech. Looking at the advantages that led to upgrading the service rifle over the last century (M1903 bolt action - M1 semi-auto - M14 full-auto - M16 half the weight) make this reality pretty clear.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Rod,

You think Defense cuts and sequestering is going to have a impact on R/D? I know there won't be that much money to go around anymore and programs are going to have to get cut, not to mention weapon and equipment procurement. I know a huge chunck of the Defense Budget is payroll and health benefits, but still...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but we've gone through cuts before. Unfortunately the military is spoiled and there is a huge amount of waste (but not one penny more and likely much less than in ALL gov't). Sometimes a limiting of resources forces some to prioritize when they wouldn't do it otherwise. E.G. I was very involved in the FCS program. What a boondoggle! When it was cut, certain programs were retained (robotics for example) and have been beneficial.

I was worried about sequestration's impact. I'm not so much anymore though I am concerned about how onesided the cuts are compared to the whole budget. Unlike the civilian sector payroll and health aren't the biggest part of the DoD budget. Ops and maintenance is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts