One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I received the Cinemaquette T-850 statue which has the silicone head sculpt with real human hair punched in. For a long time, I've been thinking about casting 1/6 scale heads in silicone and hand punching the hair, so I thought that this figure would be a good example to look at even though it's 1/3 scale.

My first overall impression was the enormity of the figure. Wow, it's huge! I'm not used to seeing figures this size. I put my 1/6 Popsalute T-850 next to it to show the size difference. The paint job is decent, but the primary flesh tone color is provided by the silicone base itself. It's pretty subtle and the eyes are unglossed. I'm not sure if there is a gloss silicone sealer, which would be needed to adhere to silicone. If I do this in 1/6 scale, I'll probably hollow out the head and insert glossy painted eyeballs to solve this problem. As for the hair, it's very well done and stiffened so that it holds its shape.

Below are some pictures all taken in natural lighting without any artificial lighting.

I've already invested in a vacuum chamber and a pressure pot to make silicone heads, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it will take to develop these heads.

Awhile ago, I showed some pictures of the Dragon Head that I had repainted and added mohair for the hair, beard stubble, brows and eyelashes. The results were pretty good and I think worth looking into for further development.

For a long time now, I've been thinking about creating a 1/6 Gothic vampire diorama populated with various characters from films, but haven't had time to work on it. Perhaps someday I'll finally actually finish it.

Here's pictures of the figure with the repainted Dragon Eugen head with hair on a BMW motorcycle with Luna as his sidekick.

·
Fear is not an Option!
1,391 Posts
WOW! That thing is huge. Love what you have done with the real hair. Great ride and great bashes.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Great stuff there,

The Arnie reminds me of the old Argonaut vinyl kit which was 1/4 scale. I nearly got one, only to be beaten to it. Later on, the guy that bought him brought the finished figure into the shop and when I saw what an awful job he'd done I wanted to punch him!

I love the guy on the bike, the real hair works so well and that bike is rather nice too.

Well done

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I really like what you did w/ the hair and stubble. Is that punched on or glued on or??

I've been wanting to do something like that, and have a figure standing by, your advice would be much appreciated!

-Rex

·
Registered
913 Posts
A while back I wanted to cast heads out of silicone. I wanted to do it not only so I could punch in real hair but so that I could put in bead eyes and teeth and actually be able to play around with the facial expressions a bit. However I ran into a couple of problems. The silicones that I used picked up a lot of lint and dirt and whatnot. It's pretty difficult to tint the silicone in matching skin tones. It's really difficult to paint the facial features in silicone. It's difficult to secure a silicone head to a figure.
I'm not trying to make you abandon the project just trying to help out by stating the issues I've come across. I don't know what silicones to use but I can tell you the silicones not to use and that is smooth ons dargon skin, vyta flex and eco flex. All of these silicones are way to soft I'm looking into harder silicones but have found anything yet.
I would love to see any progress you make if you do decide to pursue this idea.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rex,

The hair was glued on with Fabritac. It holds well but is a little stringy. I bought some non-stringing glue from a scrapbook store, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. The beard stubble was also glued on with a watered-down adhesive. Any water soluble transparent adhesive will work but it must be thinned to a really watery consistency. If it becomes shiny, spray it with a matte finish spray.

Callous,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Smooth-On silicones. I bought sample packs of the Dragon Skin and some other silicones from Reynolds Advanced Materials, but now after reading your post, I won't attempt making solid casts with these materials. You're right about the stickiness of silicone. I was just trying to dust off the hair residue shavings on the Cinemaquette T-850's face--not an easy task. Because it's slightly sticky the hair would stubbornly cling to the face. I used an aerosol duster as recommended, but it did not remove the more steadfast hair fragments. I ended up using the matte powder and applicator that came with the figure to rub off most of the hair. The more recalcitrant ones were finally removed with a needle one at a time.

I haven't tried any of the silicone paints or pigments yet. On the Cinemaquette, the paint is airbrushed. I heard that some silicone paints dry really fast, which makes them really difficult to work with. I'll probably experiment a little with the silicone since I've already invested so much in the casting equipment and paint, but I have a feeling that maybe adding the hair to a vinyl or resin head might be the way to go.

I really appreciate everyones comments :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Thanks Paco for the tips! I've used fabri-tac too, and it is stringy!

On the stubble though, was it fabri-tac watered down, or an Elmer's type glue?

The stubble itself... is it a flocking material, powered chalk or?

Really appreciate the tips bro!! Helps a lot!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks callous for your support. I'll post pictures of my progress if there's any.

rogerbee,

Thanks for the Scotch Spray Mount tip. Got to try that sometime although I think I'll wear latex gloves so that I don't end up with Wookie hands ;)

Sixth Scale,

A watered-down white glue like Elmers would work. I used hair shavings, but flocking would work well too depending on how fine you want the stubble to be. The shavings are generally courser.

·
I'll Never Buy A Fem Fig!
972 Posts
Does anyone else think it's a bit creepy that the giant statue has human hair?

That aside, I like the looks of your 1/6 work with hair, but the guy's beard needs some work. It looks way too scraggly. Keept up the good work.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone else think it's a bit creepy that the giant statue has human hair?

That aside, I like the looks of your 1/6 work with hair, but the guy's beard needs some work. It looks way too scraggly. Keept up the good work.
At first, I had the same impression of the 1/3 scale figure. I was a bit overwhelmed by the size, but I must say, the more I look at it; the more I'm liking it. After having it out of the box a couple of days and tweaking the clothing so that it hangs more naturally, I'm really beginning to appreciate the "big" boy :) I bought it mainly to check out the hand-punched human hair in the sculpt and thought I might re-sell it after looking at it. However, I've decided to keep the Big Guy and give him a permanent home. The only thing, because of the delicate nature of the silicone head, I had to invest in a custom acrylic case to house him in to keep the dust off. I also bought a black marble statue base to mount the acrylic case on which should look really nice. I'm now tempted to get his chrome-plated Cinemaquette Endoskeleton sibling to keep him company.

Thanks for you comments and suggestions for the 1/6 figure. I'll try to use a finer hair for the beard stubble, such as beaver fur instead of mohair, so that it won't look so scraggly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts