One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
yippy . . .

I'm sure there will be those who'll gladly overpay for mediocrity at its finest and defend it to their dying breath.

Let the 1:6 suck flow.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I'd probably try to word it a bit more diplomatically but I think DFC is 100% right both as to the mediocrity of the figures, and that there will always be people stepping up to defend Big Chief. Those people are usually fans of the specific franchise, and not savvy 1/6 aficionados. I'm always a bit surprised at the "club mentality" where fans defend the product just because it's James Bond or whatever, rather than be offended how Big Chief treats its franchises as a pre-existing cash cow requiring only minimal effort. If these were mid-priced figures I'd say Odd Job looks competently average, Goldfinger looks poor to me, and with James it's hard to tell from the teaser. And at Big Chief premium prices...

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
Big Chief's 007 line reminds me of Sideshow's 007 line . . . just more expensive compared to when Sideshow sold them for around $49.99 USD.

With inflation and licensing costs, we have Sideshow quality or a smidgen better (maybe) for about three to four or maybe five times the price Sideshow charged back then and there will be those who will never question it. They'll buy it and support it even with design and quality flaws.

The preceding is not specific to Big Chief, but can (and has been) be attributed to basically any 1:6 brand/manufacturer.

It's a matter of how delusional some collectors are.

BTW . . . I speak from experience on this given my one-time overzealous mania in defending/supporting a particular 1:6 brand. Sure. I drank the punch and then some, but fortunately I realized what was going on (thank goodness).

If Big Chief manages to pull this off (i.e. best case scenario), then more power to them; however, past efforts resulting in disappointments does not bode well regardless of how much optimism some are choosing to show.

No one necessarily wants to see a failure in terms of a 1:6 offering, but when a particular manufacturer who has been around long enough have known issues with honesty/integrity in dealing with their critics and fans like Big Chief it's difficult to remain optimistic.

It's like saying "OH . . . he have issues." about Hitler and somehow holding optimism he'll turn around and do the right thing.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Big Chief's 007 line reminds me of Sideshow's 007 line . . . just more expensive compared to when Sideshow sold them for around $49.99 USD.

With inflation and licensing costs, we have Sideshow quality or a smidgen better (maybe) for about three to four or maybe five times the price Sideshow charged back then and there will be those who will never question it. They'll buy it and support it even with design and quality flaws.

The preceding is not specific to Big Chief, but can (and has been) be attributed to basically any 1:6 brand/manufacturer.

It's a matter of how delusional some collectors are.
The thing is, it darn near is specific to Big Chief. Say what you want about Hot Toys, and I have lots of criticisms of them, but there's no denying they approach most licenses as a challenge and "bring their A game" (and yes, they charge for it). But their thinking would be that "here's a new group, James Bond fans, to whom we can show off all these wonderful skills we have." And the same goes for Asmus, 3A, Star Ace, Threezero, VTS. My feeling is that all these companies are not perfect but they are genuinely trying to excel, they never just "phone it in."

Big Chief now -- it's more like "What's the practical least we have to do in order to stamp a box "James Bond" / "Doctor Who" / "Sherlock"? -- we know Bond fans, Whovians, Sherlockians are automatic purchasers." Seriously I do not think any of the other companies are that cynical.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yeah, it's unfortunate that BC got this license, cause they'll probably turn out just as horse-s$&t as their Who and Sherlock figures, which look more like caricatures rather than legitamit likenesses.

·
Respect, Honour, Courage
2,922 Posts
yup...I'm disappointed to have seen them get this license. I got their Sherlock, all excited. Sold it within 2 months. Sculpt was toy like, clothes were poorly tailored. As someone said, as much as we gripe on HT prices and some sculpts.....their quality is usually very good for the same price, or cheaper in some cases, than Big Chief.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I'd forgive them more if I thought they were really making their best effort. Like Hot Toys, most 1/6 companies started out as hobbyists "going pro," or at least as manufacturers expanding. I suspect that Big Chief was created purely by Licensing lawyers who had the right connections to obtain and to exploit a BBC License (having seen the HT profits).

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The jury is still out for me. What it might hopefully mean is that somebody else might have a go, unless Babs granted BCS the ONLY license to do 1/6 stuff. If they fall on their ass like SSC did she'll pull out and we'll be back to relying on customs again.

Let's see.....

CHEERS!

·
Registered
539 Posts
By looking at these three pictures they don't look that awful. On the contrary, but I never experienced any of these figures so I don't know.

PS: Now I see what you're meaning: their prices are exorbitant and I dare to say their product choices and quality level denotes more of a marketing demeanor than a real interest in the hobby or plain passion...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yup...I'm disappointed to have seen them get this license. I got their Sherlock, all excited. Sold it within 2 months. Sculpt was toy like, clothes were poorly tailored. As someone said, as much as we gripe on HT prices and some sculpts.....their quality is usually very good for the same price, or cheaper in some cases, than Big Chief.
Yep - that's pretty much spot on!

It's great that a company has licences for Dr. Who and James Bond, but Big Chief's quality does not match their price-point unfortunatley. The Sean Connery looks good in the promo photo... but it is just that, and you can guarantee the finished article will not be as well tailored. The Odd Job does not look a massive improvement on the Sideshow version to me.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The gap between prototype and production quality for Big Chief is pretty stark. I bought their 4th Doctor based on the prototype and was I disappointed - hobo stubble and the coat the wrong colour... and don't get me started on the scarf. I'm a big classic Who fan, and I like my 1/6 hobby, bashing mostly military, so probably NOT who these figures are aimed at. I repainted the head, replaced the body with a taller one and replaced the trousers, scarf and coat. My only other Big Chief is the First Doctor. Not perfect, but better than 4th. I'm not buying any others though... they look like bobble heads at times.
These Bond figures look amazing - as prototypes, but who knows what the actual figures will be like.

·
Registered
565 Posts
one strange thing is you can order hot toys or other brands figures from their main website (no need to say that brands are not mentioned except in very small at the end of the product description)

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
one strange thing is you can order hot toys or other brands figures from their main website (no need to say that brands are not mentioned except in very small at the end of the product description)
WOW, I did not know that. Looking at it now. So if you're in their target market of James Bond, Doctor Who or Sherlock fans who possibly haven't bought premium 1/6 before, your virgin eyeballs are going to be impressed with their site showing off Hot Toys Star Wars and Doctor Strange, QMX Kirk and Spock, Star Ace Harry Potter, etc. Intermingled with those really excellent figures (and with no distinction except small print at the bottom) there's Big Chief's own product. The novice buyer's impression of how good overall licensed 1/6 figures can be may fail to adjust to the actual Big Chief figures not being quite up to the same standard. And their prices on non-Big-Chief figures don't seem very attractive so I doubt they sell a lot of those -- are they just on the site to give Big Chief's own figures added cachet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts