One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 1847 Colt Walker was the magnum revolver of the percussion era. It is a massive handgun and was meant to be carried in a saddle holster. When I needed one for my "Lonesome Dove" bash, I had to scratch-build one for Gus. I have a 1/1 replica that made my build a lot easier.

Shortly after, BattleGearToys came out with a Walker, and I had to get a couple. I wasn't disappointed - it was nicer than mine, and amazingly well built. Most of the major components come apart just like the original, and the hammer, cylinder and loading lever all move. There are even thread details on the cylinder rod, and a slot for the barrel wedge, so you can even pose it taken down for cleaning!

Naturally, I had to fiddle with one, and decided to build a 1st Model Colt Dragoon revolver. The parts are all the same, and both came in .44 caliber, but the Dragoon was scaled back with a shorter cylinder, barrel and barrel frame and loading lever. Because the BGT Walker comes apart, it was much easier to cut back the parts, and I was even able to carefully push out the plastic "pin" holding the loading lever in place. After making the alterations, it was possible to line up the parts and push the pin back in. You also need to add a longer forcing cone where the Dragoon's cylinder meets the barrel. I used a tiny length of styrene tube, then filed it down.

The cylinder has individual chambers drilled into the face, and they go all the way thru, so they don't have to be added after shortening the cylinder. I added a tiny piece of styrene to each side to represent the barrel wedge, and shortened the loading lever, notching the end with a tiny file so it will "latch". The only fault I found with the BGT Walker was that the lever has a latch, which the Walker did not have. It was easy to cut it off, fill the end of the lever with super glue and file it to a dull point. Here are two pics of the two revolvers together, before and after painting.

I like the BGT Walker even more than the metal 1851 Colt Navy they make. It's a great gun on it's own, and allows for a pretty simple change into a 1st Model Dragoon!
(An interesting note, at least in the original "True Grit", Mattie Ross has her father's Colt Dragoon. They actually used a Walker to make it look that much bigger in her small hands.)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Re: BGT 1847 Colt Walker Mods

Crazy small details. How's the scale in the hands of a 1:6 figure, Mark? I think they did a beautiful sculpt with the Schofield Smith and Wesson, but it is considerably smaller than the Sideshow or Crazy Owners versions. Of course, I bought two Walkers on faith.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Hallo!

Yup. In the first one, 1969, Mattie carries a cartridge converter Walker.

In the second movie, 2010, they stayed faithful with the book and gave her a percussion 2nd Model Dragoon.

Gus (Robert Duvall) carries a cartridge converted Walker for "Lonesome Dove." Although in one scene where he attacks the Commancheros' camp it switches to a Colt M1860 Army.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mike,
The BGT Walker is dead on in scale. Here is a pic next to my scratch-built Walker, and the dimensions are the same, with much nicer detail, especially in the grip and trigger area (I used a CXR 1860 Army for a base.)

As for the BGT Schofield, it is also better. I haven't seen the Crazy Owner's type in person, but the SST is too long, and the cylinder is a bit large. Here I showed a SST copy with my original SST, which I shortened the barrel (still needs a front sight.) The BGT version is the right length. The SST might be right for the earlier S&W Model #3 the Schofield was based on, so that will be another bash. I just ordered 2 more BGT Schofields, and already have some SST copies, so you can see my preference.
Here are some handgun measurements I put together that may be of some use. The drawings are by Randy Steffan, and any errors in the measurements are mine.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Thanks Mark, I really appreciate the graphics and stats. I'm going to have to measure the pieces, and see how they fare, scale-wise. The BGT version just looks a bit small in 1:6 hands (for instance, the trigger guard), part of that perception coming from the Smiths I got to handle in the past. There is, in addition, the matter of various figures' hands being larger or smaller.
It is nice to have the luxury of a number of versions to compare.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome - I hope the measurements come in handy.
Congratulations on owning two of the handsomest percussion revolvers. Their pros and cons can be debated for ever, but the 1860 Colt is my pick for it's look and balance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.