One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, I was recently weathering a kit bash I'm working on and I put on a little more than I'd like it's not bad but it bothers me and after consulting my significant other she told me the garment is made of cotton so what would be my best bet to tone down the weathering some what I used acrylic paint and I also employed the dry brushing technique so the paint on the garment is anything but heavy. Thanks in advance!
-Zack

·
Loser 6
618 Posts
Rubbing alcohol works for me, it won't damage the fabric either. Put a little bit on a cotton swap, apply it to the area and you should be able to see it work. You can use an old toothbrush to GENTLY scrub, but take care so you don't have one area of the garment that looks different from the rest

P.S. This may be a good time to start to experiment with dry pastels for weathering uniforms, it washes out or fades with just water if you get heavy handed with it.....Jim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it any good places to start looking for some pastels?

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
You can get basic chalk pastel sets at Walmart (if that's an option where you are). More advanced sets can be had from craft stores such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby (once again, if those are an option). Fortunately, they're fairly inexpensive. You can also find sets on eBay for less than $10 shipped. Just search for "chalk pastel art set".

***edit**

I don't know your location but I took a quick look on eBay and this set has lots of earth tones and other useable colors at a good price with free shipping, if you're in the US: Mungyo SOFT PASTEL Chalk NON TOXIC Pack 64 Assorted Colors Paint Drawing Art Set | eBay
Something similar for a good price could most likely be found from an Asian seller as well.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Thank you!! Any good tips on how to weather with them?
Not really. I use them sparingly, with and without using water, depending on what I'm weathering. I wouldn't say that I have any particular "technique" as I try different things but I took a look for some tutorials and I found some that should be useful:

Gunpla Tutorial : Making Pigment Powders with Pastels - YouTube
How To Weather a 1:6 Figure WWII - YouTube
1/6 Quick 5 Minute Weathering Tutorial - YouTube
THE WORKSHOP - Weathering by Paul Benson | Rad Toy Review

·
Registered
539 Posts
P.S. This may be a good time to start to experiment with dry pastels for weathering uniforms, it washes out or fades with just water if you get heavy handed with it.....Jim
^+1^

Besides the costly hobbyist pigments, here a couple of advises:
# go to a fine art store and ask for the Terra di Siena and Burnt Terra di Siena pigments: these are actually the cheapest pigments for painters making their own colors, one is light yellowish and the second is dark brown and both are actual clay.
# I'm also using intensively Medicinal Clay that can be found in a variety of shades, from pale grey to khaki and green: these are found in a very fine talc powder that can be easily blown, dry brushed or diluted, and intrinsically is the most realistic dust effect you could possibly have ...
Organism Font Asphalt Soil Metal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts