One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been cleaning and re-organizing my cabinets. I added LED lighting as well and want to figure out the best way to display the figures. Now if I only wanted one or two on display no problem...the issue is i want to try and get as many as I can per shelf as i can but i also want the ones in the back to be seen. The shelf's are 22" wide by 14" deep. I can comfortably fit 4 figures across but that would be it.

What would be the best pattern ? diamond, square?

0 0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0

This pattern would get me 11 figures per shelf....patten #2 - 9 figures (ok the system won't let me put 0 into shapes it keeps moving them back, so hopefully you get the idea)

any help at all would be great as I am wracking my brain on this one....

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
crusader, I'm a firm believer that "less is more.

I can get behind the the notion of wanting to display as many as possible at the same time, but that just might overwhelm anyone seeing your shelves for the first time.

So, it might not be the most popular recommendation and you're certainly free to do with it what you will (or will not as it were), but I'd say put four or five figures per shelf and change 'em out periodically.

Here's the qualification clause: I don't have as many display worthy figures as a lot of you fellows do. I might think differently if I did, but probably not. Still a believer in less being more.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
It depends, too, on what is the "purpose" of display and the anticipated audience. If it's for your personal enjoyment in being able to see your own figures which are previously familiar, the "overwhelm factor" that dadrab talks about might be less significant. But if the figures are going to be seen by "civilians," then the "overwhelm" concern is very real. I suppose if the figures are mostly being looked at by collectors familiar with the hobby, the "overwhelm" might be somewhere in the middle.

Certainly for any display like that great School display you did a while back, I think "less is more" would apply for maximuum effect.

A mirror back can make a display look roomier, and make more figures visible, but it can become tricky to play with angles in the back row.

I wish I had this issue, but I have no room at all (so my figures live in storage and my "display" is a sideshow of pictures on the computer monitor).

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
On the other hand, if you pack in as many as you can, shoulder to shoulder, you'll never to to re-stand a fallen figure.......:D

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
What I do is I get some 'steps' display cases (made of clear acrylic sheets), like those they display shoes and other items in stores. This way I can get about 3 to 4 figures per row, about 3 rows per shelf compartment. I will post a photo of my shelf later tonight.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responces...great idea with the steps, i would not have thought about doing that.

i do have the height as i made the distance between shelves enough to fit the full height of a box so there is plenty of room to go up..

will post some pictures later tonight...

:thumb

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best way? In their boxes
you know at one time when I first started collecting i did keep them this way, lined up like books on my book shelf. When ever I wanted to look at one, I just pulled it out.

In some respects I am still that way with the boxed figures I don't want to de-box...problem is, these are all my loose figures i have on display...:dizzy

and just one of the new shelf display ...lights added...just getting organized...

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
Here's my display

Closer look, 2 3 3 set up with 2 sets of steps

Closer look at the step, different set up it's 4 3 and 2 to make room for the ATV on the side

Home made steps using white cardboards, still have space for at least 2 more figures in kneeling positions at the front

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
really cool displays there, thanks for showing them...I was working on my last night and i think i have found a solution, but another question?

How did you light the display? I see some running down the sides..??

I put my LED's at the front to light the figures, when it was in the middle or back you could not see anything...again...idea's on lighting????

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
For me I use cold/cool white LED strips that you can get on eBay, I use non waterproof strips so it is thinner without the clear plastic covering and protect the LEDs. I have gaps in between the glass inserts and the shelf wall so the strip can fit through easily.

Estimate I used about 20-30m (around $40) worth of LED strips for both compartments of the shelf (about 5-6 levels of shelf per side), I just loop it up and down the sides and up to the top again (the strip can be fold to make a corner instead of getting corner connectors for it), not recommended but it works and doesn't damage the strip's circuits at all) where the wires go out to the back through a small hole I made in the top most corner and to the power adapter on top of the cabinet.

I use a splitter/joiner to connect both sides of the cabinet strips into one connector and that connects to the power adapter (also from eBay, get 12V 6A version and upward if you have longer length of the strips combined, so it has enough juice to light up that lengthy strips).

Even better, I use a remote control (IR or radio, not too sure but most likely IR like TV remote) power plug in between the power adapter and the power point. This allows me to turn on and off the cabinet lighting with a touch of a button locates on my desk few meters away =]. Kambrook is the brand of the wireless/remote power plug if you're interested (~$25).

The whole LED set up cost me around $60 (excl the wireless power plug that I already had). And they are very bright, light the whole room up! Even better, they consume less electricity compare to the usual downlights (topping around 30-40w if I recall correctly for the entire setup) and produce not much if any at all heat (safe to touch!), so no chance of heating up (and accidentally set it on fire XD) your precious figures when left on too long. It's a win win!

Here's an old photo of the shelf lit up

Lights OFF

Lights ON

Love to play around with the light set up, it's a fun and easy to do project. I have another 30m worth of strips and not sure what to do with it just yet =]

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is just an incredible set up...

the ones I got were on sale at home depot for $11, they are called Illume LED RGB lights...they seem really good and I get all the different colors of lights to play with...problem is i only got 4 strips and only enough cable to light 3 of them. I ordered a Y splitter off of eBay so I can light all 4.

Now I have put mine right at the front of the cabinet (same shelving unit as yours) but I really like the way you have them running down the sides...must really brighten the whole unit that way....

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
That is just an incredible set up...

the ones I got were on sale at home depot for $11, they are called Illume LED RGB lights...they seem really good and I get all the different colors of lights to play with...problem is i only got 4 strips and only enough cable to light 3 of them. I ordered a Y splitter off of eBay so I can light all 4.

Now I have put mine right at the front of the cabinet (same shelving unit as yours) but I really like the way you have them running down the sides...must really brighten the whole unit that way....
Yeh, I was planning to run it along the inside of the door as well to illuminate the front, but it'd be overkill and too bright to look at, not to mention the potential of wearing down the circuit from opening and closing the doors. So the best bet for me was to run along the sides and the top with no obstructions.

I might have to re run the strips soon, the adhesive isn't holding on. Have to replace with some double sided tapes and replace corner folds with actual connectors :think

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.