One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bloodier than you HAHA!
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. While I'm waiting on setting up a green screen, I thought i'd do something along the lines of a Mad Max fig. I'm building up the version with the leg brace, but i'm a little lost on what parts to use. Any suggestions for a jacket, brace, sawn off holster, etc?

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
The jacket is an Australian motorcycle jacket. Very similar to the American style with a few changes like no epaulettes. Have a look at this site it will be helpful, especially with tips on the right 1:1 (translate to 1:6) pieces to use and dimensions, etc. Even what real world parts make up the leg brace: http://www.madmaxcostumes.com/costume2.htm. Jackets are on this page:
http://www.madmaxcostumes.com/jackets.htm.

One way to go is to get bbi's "Scorpion" figure. He wears a nice faux leather vest that's really a motorcyle jacket without sleeves. You can easily cut a pattern for the missing sleeves (one whole & right one cut off at bicep) sew one up. The drawback is that the zipper is non functioning but you could remove a suitable scale zipper from another cheaper 1/6 cloth jacket (look for a very small zipper tang). Another is to convert one of the available motorcycle jackets used on the Arnold Terminator figures, cheaper 21C, or a custom one (you have to do some surfing but there are a couple about). Several manufacturers made suitable black faux leather biker trousers: bbi (again Scorpion has a nice pair of trousers), 21C, even Barbie & Ken (jackets have emblems on back I believe and they are over priced).I think one of the eBay vendors sells a loose motorcycle jacket and trousers set, pricely but they look very good. You will have to cut the right sleeve off at the bicep for Max II (Road Warrior). The leg brace you will just have to custom build. Get some good screen shots of the brace and go to town with plastic card or metal strip. Someone on this forum did a bang up job on Max wearing his brace recently - do a search, it was in the last couple of months. I think one of the 21C figures came with a suitable holster but it would be nicer and pretty easy to scratch build one in real leather. 21C also made a perfect sawed off, it must be mixed in to some other set by now, you probably can find it loose somewhere.

For the jacket and holster you need very soft thin leather, gloove or women's purse leather work best, or you can order black glove leather from Tandy Leather. Tandy frequently sells leather scraps that can be a real bargain and good for belts, chaps, holster, etc. There are glues and dyes that can be applied to leather too if you get something lighter and want to dye it black. The right half of the football shoulder pads from the Dragon (best Rawlings available you may find it loose or for trade here) or GI Joe football player make a good pad for Max's right shoulder.

Almost forgot the boots, I think the Arnold Terminator figures come with the right (or similar) boots but you probably could get by with the right pair of German jack boots. Have a look at the photos on the site I mentioned there are some good close ups that will help. DiD and the other manufacturers that do good German boots are easily obtained loose. DiD makes pretty nice faux leather ones.

The other bits like the belt, tools, etc. can be scrounged from a lot of loose parts available online or easily scratch built. Art and crafts stores are nice little treasure chests when it comes to bits and pieces. Have a look through the doll section. Pink aisle at We Be Toys may have something as well. Good luck with it, it's a fun project - great movie.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Sorry, Rowrington, remembered a couple of other things. If you need some photos let me know I have a few shots of a decent model from years ago and a Max I shot of Max in the jacket from that film (different from Max II).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow, how could I miss this thread?

one of my favorite topics, MAX!!!

That Sideshow forum thread has tons of great tips and knowledge.

I'm almost done with Max I, now I'm hot into Max II. It's a tough road, and many of the parts you need to make one are not easily available. Some items only come up for auction once or twice a year and competition is fierce. I've had to buy stuff from Yahoo Japan through a service, just to get some items or to get them at a reasonable price. It's taken me months and lots of money to get these guys together.

good luck!!

Also wanted to add, that when you're working with leather or fake leather, some glues will melt, color, and damage the leather- I used Tamiya glue and it caused a small tear under one of the shoulder pads, days after it dried, while on display. It was disapointing because I spent days modding the pads to sit just right on the shoulders without restricting movement or making the costume fragile. oh, and the jacket was not cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts