One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I’m currently working on my first kitbash in years and I require an AK 47 (or variant) and I would like to use the best version I can find.
I found what I believe to be a Soldier Story AK in my collection of spare parts (I’m not sure what figure it came from) and it’s pretty nice but I was wondering if there is anything better out there these days?
It can be a solid or folding stock but the hand guard has to be wooden.
Many thanks for your time as always.
Chris

·
1/6 Hoarder
1,393 Posts
To the best of my (rusty) recollection, Easy & Simple has not made any AKs yet. DAM has made a lot of Russian figures but they're almost all packed with modern AKs that don't feature any wood furniture. I know the 'Russian Naval Infantry' figure does have a more OG-looking AK. There might be more. Soldier Story made a few historical Chinese figures. I assume that's where your AK came from.

DID made some AKs with their Afghan/Insurgent releases but I think those are probably hard to track down.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the quality of any of these since all the AKs in are either more modern or definitely lower quality (old HT AKs and some Toy Soldier ones that are under-detailed).

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
IMHO one of the best AK's out there is the folding stock one that came with Dragon's Agent Jones. The only caveat is that the "wooden" furniture is kind of light colored; the real thing (at least the ones I've seen in exhibits, museums ettc.) are darker. The one dunk mentioned (older Toy Soldier AKM's) though undertailed are also pretty close to the real deal, and I definitely like it.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,378 Posts
I did a search, but "Comparison" and "AK-47" are quite popular. There were pages of search results. Might be time to do another one, but I will admit my collection of AK's is quite limited now as I have missed many of the ones from the Russian figure releases the last 8 years or so.

I think if you're going for a mainly wooden stock AK, you'll want an older one like the Soldier Story one. DiD did an RPK with one of the Afghan figures a couple years ago, and that one was really nice. One or Two of the Damtoys Russians have older wood stock based rifles. And Ujindou seems to be doing well lately with their period piece Russians. I think the Dam Naval Infantry, and The Ujindou Spetsnaz from Afghanistan with the grenade launchers are two of the newer released figures that might work for you.

Most of the newer AK's tend to have the polymer furniture over the wood stuff now, as they are trying to make more modern based figures. But we keep seeing random historical based figures pop up here and there.

·
1/6 Hoarder
1,393 Posts
Just in case you were curious. The Toy Soldier AK is the top one with the full stock. The two on the left are Hot Toys' old AKs with folding stocks. The one on the bottom right is one of DAM's first AKs included with their DEVGRU figure as a 'confiscated' AK. The magazine and stock are the only functional parts. DAM has since vastly improved their AKs. I thought I had something from Soldier Story somewhere but it looks like I don't.

·
One Sixth Junkie
Modern Military mostly
6,343 Posts
Hey Chris, Are you talking about the SS Ak that is in metal? If you are, there were some made in metal, not SS brand, although the SS is a very good one. I think 3 or 4 off brands. Any of these are very nice. Highly detailed. Even the top pops off. I think on one or two of these, even "cocks" and pull the trigger. Very nice. I have it in my collection somewhere...BTW these are old photos. I have new weapons, I just have not uploaded the pics...

·
Resident Kalashnikov nut!
1,839 Posts
DAMs AKM and AKMS are good representations of AK types encountered on the modern battlefield. These are stamped receiver types. The milled receiver type 3 AK47 and AKS47 are the type DML and ZY produces. Although the ZY comes with a lot of extras like the 1PN58 NVS and the GP25, these would not be found or used on a type 3.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts