One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fear is not an Option!
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help in this area. What brand is the best and what do I really need for airbrushing 1:6th vehicles and such? Any information would be appreciated. I had a small one that never made it past 25 psi. I thought that it should produce 30 psi min. and as much as 60 psi. The one I have is very difficult to work with. I use both water base and oil base paints

Thanks for the help!! :hyper

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
I got a nice little compact compressor at SEARS...cost me 99 bucks. It works great and also can used to inflate tires or to blow away debris....it comes with 2 ports and all the attachments. The aire pressure is adjustable from 0-125 lbs.

why spend a fortune on a hobby compressor when you can get an industrial one that does far more for even less money?

here:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915312000P?keyword=air+compressors

·
Registered
324 Posts
I got a propane tank from COSTCO for $23 like the ones for the BBQ grill and filled it with air instead. Never got to use it since my accident, but maybe someone else has tried it and can comment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Need to know a little bit more about your equipment. What kind of airbrush do you have. Paasche, Badger, Aztek, Testors. Is it single action or double action? Hobbico makes a nice intermediate compressor with a regulator and air filter. It leaves you some growning room with out being overly complicated. You might want to look into buying a complete set from Paasche. It's almost impossible to go wrong there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like Butch says, getcha a man-sized compressor. With a proper regulator, you can paint models or apartment buildings. In between, you can hook up a nail gun or change your tires with an impact wrench.

·
Fear is not an Option!
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you ONE and ALL! This is the greatest forum PERIOD!

I think I'm going with Sawgunner on this one as I can use the compressor for other
things around the house and the wife will buy off on this one! Hard to sneak one of
these into the garage without her lovely eyes catching me. You say that sound like
I'm afraid of my wife? Yes, yes I’ am! LOL!!! My troops do not keep me warm at
night nor do they feed me and well other stuff....

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
when i did a lot of airbrush work, size and noise were a factor for me. i needed something compact and silent, but couldnt afford the really good high end ones.

instead i just bought a compressed air tank. it is cheap, has a very small footprint and makes absolutely no noise whatsoever. and when the pressure drops too low, you just take it to the gas station and refill it with their tire pump for free.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
when i did a lot of airbrush work, size and noise were a factor for me. i needed something compact and silent, but couldnt afford the really good high end ones.

instead i just bought a compressed air tank. it is cheap, has a very small footprint and makes absolutely no noise whatsoever. and when the pressure drops too low, you just take it to the gas station and refill it with their tire pump for free.
where would you buy a tank like that? any try those little air CANS like at the hobby shop?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If you are a night owl like me. I'll recommend you invest on a Iwata. I,m using model "Iwata Power Jet Lite" for years. It is very, very quiet, high or low pressures setting, auto shuts off....... Can't say enough good things about it. Price at low end about $290 ~ $700. My was around $400 back 5 ~ 7 yrs ago. I remember came across a on line art supplies store few days ago having sale on Iwata. The Jet Lit model on sale for $280? It's so cheap, I almost bought a new one. But my still good for many years. Well....$280 is an lots of money. But it's the best investment any hobbyist can put his/her money on. Try google pricecheck.

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
the compressed air cans from the hobby shop have very limited use. i suppose if you are doing something really quick and dont want to set up a compressor, or in emergency when your main set up is broken. but if you plan on doing any kind of serious work, those things wont cut it.

here is a link to some portable refillable cans
http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com/66-388-portable-air-tank.aspx

the one i bought years ago looked very similar to this, was 5gallon capacity, and was designed specifically for airbrush use (came with the necessary fittings). i got it from pearl paint.

if you plan on using the air tank i suggest you do some research to find out what kind of fittings you need for the airbrush etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.