One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Loser 6
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This is the follow-up for a project I started last year, and then stalled. It is inspired by the photograph below;

5th Guards Army moving through or toward Kursk in 1943

Here they are, lightly kitted out as seen in my reference photo.

My DP-28 gunner, Nikolai, is the latest addition. The ammo bearer, Usman, debuted last September.

Nikolai looking thoughtful as they march on toward Kursk. The head sculpt is from Tony Barton's latest series.

Both soldiers are wearing the older style M35 tunics. Nikolai's is the latest offering from Alert Line. Great bit of gear. I tailored it to make it more accurate by adding the metal hook and eye closure. His equipent belt and DP-28 sling are both scratch made. Both Nikolai's and Usman's helmets are made by Alexander Khimenko (Troitskaya28).

Usman, seen once again, is fulfilling his role as the ammo bearer. His DP-28 Magazine pouch is made by DML, I took it apart and made it more accurate, closer to the 1:1 version. I re-did the carry strap and closure system. I also added "ears" and ties to the pouch.

I suppose a "star" in his own right is my DP-28. I started off using another brand other than DML. The plastic used in Brand X's model was just too fragile (the bipod legs broke!) and I ended up getting DML's version.

The sling is scratch made. I have seen some 1:1 DP-28 slings that offered a pad of sorts but I chose not to add it as I didn't see it in my reference photos. On my pan magazine I added the leather tab that was in use during the time to ease in reloading the magazine. I had a great time researching this weapon. A very remarkable weapon.

As to my photos, I consciously chose the grey background and effects to give the feel of a rainy day. The weather during the Battle of Kursk was just that, rainy and overcast.

Nikolai and Usman set up in their secondary position, waiting for "Fritz" to pay a visit.

Thanks for looking.............Jim

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
Magnificent work Jim!
All the little details just bring this up to the top level!

Cya
Hankster

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Excellent paint work on the heads and superb weathering on the uniforms! I love all the detail as well. What a great pair!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Wonderful stuff, Jim! I love the whole DP family, they have soldiered on for so long. I was gratified to see that they are still in use in places like the Ukraine, and include the belt-fed RP46 LMG. These gun teams backstopped Soviet soldiers who often had mostly the old bolt action rifles their fathers and grandfathers had carried.

·
Rodolfo strikes again !!!
568 Posts
Jim,

Research and background history to show us what we are going to see.
Excellent paint work on the HS.
All the pieces improved look like the real thing.
And the weathering, seeing what you are able to do, it is a good reason to keep my hands far from the brushes, paints and pigments and keep my figures clean.
Perfect weathering, a dream for me.

PS
The leather belt is a beauty.

Jaime.

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Quality work. I saw these two gents on FB and was blown away. With the combination of excellent weathering and paint apps, they look 1:1

·
1:6 OSW member
508 Posts
You've done a real good job, Jim.
You produced very life-like red army duo. Weathering, painting, and all the details are flawless.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Jim, I have always loved your work and it always beats me where you learned the skills. The precision of research and of the scratchbuilding work itself, is an example to us all. I also worries me that your versions of my heads are often better than my originals...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts