One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
gear .....
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever conceived an all new bash in your head, gone out and bought all the loose bits – then once it’s all built; are totally disappointed as it does not look anything like you envisioned it would?

Happens to me quite often and I have amassed a lot of extra parts because of this. For me, it’s the mix of different manufactures parts that alone look great, but due to the different sizes/cuts of uniforms/accessories and nudes, throws what I thought would look nice off.

Oh well…back to the drawing board…

·
uber noob assembler
5,022 Posts
A lot of trial and error in kitbasing at least for me, happens to me a lot even when the figure is complete, then i break it down and redo the figure until im satisfied. when a nude and the uniform don't go well, i try other nudes until the uni hangs well. Same goes for the gear. That's what makes kitbashing fun, the challenge within of creating the figure you are happy with. Hang in there bud, don't let it get to ya, im sure your creations are nice. These frustrations will happen more often than you expect, but that's what makes it "kitbashing", or else its just like getting a figure out of the box and assembling it.:D

·
aka haloed
1,553 Posts
I've had this problem as well. I guess that's what makes it fun. We're not tied to the figure and have the ability to change things to our liking. Keep doin it till you get it right. You are not alone I think that most of us on here have had this problem more than once.

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
i have this happen all the time. but when all else fails i just force it to work.

with enough paint, glue, cutting/tailoring, and other such mods, you can make it work and turn it back around.

for me its always the fit of the clothes. i get extremely particular about how the clothes look and fit on the figure and that always takes the most work with the most subtle amount of visible improvement.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My biggest disappointment is the pieces don't lay naturally on the figure as I had imagined it. I look at the work my SSG Felder, Cpl ho and others here and think they have some magic shrinking formula and are using real people!

·
12" nightmare
1,422 Posts
I haven't made one single bash in all these years I think is worthy showing here, so yeah, I can relate. The fact that it's far more expensive to get the parts here just adds to the disappointment but the main causes are that I have little patience, insufficient eye for detail and that I keep comparing my work to that of the great masters of this hobby. It doesn't keep me from trying though :)

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
You probably want to really look at your bash and determine which is/are the area that doesn't meet your level of expectations? For me, usually it is the lack of natural look that derives from the design of the nude I used. bulging chest, short neck, arms position not natural due to the layers of clothings (vest + BDUs) and another layer of body armour and yet another layer of chest rigs all stacked up. End of it all, your supposedly fierce trooper now looks like a Penguin trooper :lol
Therefore, i took out my dremel tool and start shaving down the unsightly bulge on the nude to give it a sleaker outlook. When that is done, put the gear back on and the bash should looks much better.
If it is due to the gear not matching up, then it is easy... just go out there and source for alternate gear will do.

·
What should I bash today?
4,267 Posts
My biggest disappointment is the pieces don't lay naturally on the figure as I had imagined it. I look at the work my SSG Felder, Cpl ho and others here and think they have some magic shrinking formula and are using real people!
Thanx for the compliment, markdrake... I'm flattered! :hyper but I do have similar problems too... sometimes after a bash is done, I find that it just looks unimpressive... when that happens, I usually take the figure apart and move on to something else... Other times the bash looks nice, but the pics taken failed to capture the element of the bash.... which I think is a greater pity after so much work has been done... :(

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
I get frustrated with every bash at some point along the way to finishing it ( if there is, in fact such a thing as a finished bash:lol ) I think my biggest frustration is running out of junk parts to experiment with. But that can help fuel your resourcefulness.

·
Bloodier than you HAHA!
529 Posts
I second everything that you guys have said. I really hate it when you have a fantastic idea for a bash, and dismantle an older project for parts, only for it to end up less impressive than the older one. At that point, I usually come to the boards, take a look at some of the new posts, and get inspired all over again.

I really need to start taking pictures of my bashes before I take them apart. :(

·
NM156
826 Posts
Yes, I have one right now, I decided to let it stew longer and move onto something else.

I have a real problem dismantling a previous bash I almost rather sell it or give it a away. My pocket book hates it too especially when I need a part from an older bash and I instead buy another one.

·
Walk in Beauty
1,793 Posts
PATIENCE!, I have bashed a few figures that didnt look quite right, left them alone/walked away, later came back (a day, a week a month, for me even a year) tried something different and it worked for me.

Keep on trying and one day you'll look at your bash and say "Thats It!"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts