One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this one in the mail the other day, and had to do another review. I was also quite interested in this from the preview pics from the One Sixth Fanatics show. And jumped on the chance to buy it. I was interested in some of the new parts of this set, and the rest is history.... There is a list of parts on the back of the box, so I'll do the review piece by piece this time.

Uniform and gear:

Tactical Ball cap (coyote brown) - odd fitting on my sample, but that could just be the brim changing the shape.

Arba (sp)(Arab) style shemagh (red and white) - nothing new to report there

Military OD T-shirt - looks like most other brands t's

ATG Tactical Jacket (OD) - one of those cool new pieces I was interested in, and it doesn't disappoint. The front zipper is on the large side and is a bit sticky, but works OK. All the little zips just look the part and have no pulls on them like the upcoming HT CIA version has, just little pull strings. Has a black lining in the hood. Looks and feels like a lightweight wind breaker type of jacket. I like it. I think it is a different colour on the reg version (Tan?)

Tactical trousers w/ knee pads (Tan) - Another new cut for the tan cargo/tactical pant. New slant cut pockets on the legs, and all the pockets open at the top, but are a little shallow, so you won't be putting anything but the smallest bits in them. Pull ties at the bottom of each leg. What is different is the extra foam knee pads that can be inserted via the velcro closure at the bottom of each knee. I left them out because they make the pants looks funny.

Combat boot (Coyote Brown) - another new style cut, lace ups. The eyelets look like the ones from the DID boots, and are sewn on through the holes in them, rather than pressed around the material. Better idea since they won't fall off this way as they did with the DIDs.

M60 Chest Rig (OD) - nice pouch, in the same OD as the jacket, but a different material. 2 small pouches on either side of the 2 large middle pouches used for 7.62mm ammo. Also has a zippered pouch at the top middle. Great place to stuff the gloves.

Tactical Tailor Rigger's bet (tan) - nothing fancy there, just another tan belt in the pants.

CQB Belt and Belt Pad (OD) - big bulky load bearing type belt

Military Hydration Pack (Tactical Black) - what colour is tactical black? ;) Black Camelback that looks similar to the DML SEAL Terry, or BBI Prowler packs.

Special Force(s) Gloves (Tactical black and white) (Mechanix) - Mechanix black work gloves. I was all over these when I saw them. Then I took them out of the box..... they have oddly cut fingers on my sample, and the thumb is too short. I tried to put them on a HT hand, and also the hand from the SS CIA OSF fig, and couldn't get the gloves to fit. :( I had high hopes for them. Best look stuffed into the top of the tactical vest right up to the cuff of the gloves. Not a total loss, as the hands this fig has can't even use those gloves. Would have liked to use them on another bash though. the uppers are fabric and the palms have a leather like material, and all that great looking print on them. Bummer

Combat casualty kit (Tactical black :rolling ) - has some nice microprinting on it with the label. Nice little leg dropdown pouch. Like this peice a lot too. Would love one of these with all the little bits inside, hint hint.....

Glint Tape, IR Flags and Blood type tags - nothing new here, velcro backs.

The Meat and Potatoes: The Barrack Sergeant body

New Generation Body Builders Revolution-Alpha - Remember all those pictures of that new body with the great rifle poses? It's that good! The shoulders have amazing and natural movement and posing. I got some good pics posed with shots of the upper body and shoulders. The waist, neck, and legs/hips joints are very good too. Below that is similar to BBI G3.5 in the knees and ankles. Strangely there is no mid foot joint to aid in getting boots on. Not a problem with lace-ups, but harder boots could be a bit more interesting. I am a big fan of this body. It has posability like no others I have seen yet. My new favorite. Lets see some more nude bodies and neck adapters now. I did notice that the upper legs/hips joint is a bit loose, but it will hold its positioning, so that is a minor issue.

Headsculpt (only 300pc Ltd Edition) - not much of a fan of the paint job, but the sculpt itself looks good. Mine has some scratched paint at the tip of the nose. Has a kind orange-ish tan going on. None of the parts match, painted sculpt, the bare hands (not painted), wrist joint, and nude body are all different plastic and paints. Makes for some funny looking skin. Has a real George Hamilton tan going on.

Neck Post (Dragon Style) - good choice. I think the BBI necks are going to look funny with this body. There is a large gap in the body at the base of the neck, to accomodate for the great posing, and I think that will be exagerated with the BBI Neck adapter, resulting in long looking necks. Time will tell. Collared shirts and T's recommended. Skip the tank tops.

1 x pair M4 & Machine gun hands - well sculpted, with BBI style wrist pins, and they don't look like BBI sausage fingers (can you tell I don't like BBI hands?). They are soft, but not too soft and grip the weapons well.

1 x pair Rifle hands - see above

1 x pair feet - covered that in the body section

Weapons:

Mk 43 Mod 0 Machine Gun (SEAL Team Version) (modern M60) - right off their accesory pack, and has all the goodies from that set. Just about bought that set, and I am glad I waited, as now I get a figure too. Same gripes as heard from others too, no weathering, just a lot of black plastic. Have to fix that. And the bi-pod legs should spread apart more I think.

ELCan scope - I love these. Sculpt or molding could be a bit more crisp in the detail though.

1 x M60 Feed Tray Pouch-100 Rounds (OD) - their ammo box pouch fabric with nice microprint details.

1 x M60 Plastic Assault Pack (tactical Black) - hard plastic ammo box

1 x 7.62mm Ammo box (cardboard box) - they're nice little ammo boxes

1 x M60 Machine Gun Sling (Tactical Black) - has extra long straps, which is good because of all the bulk when the fig has the gear on. I think the padded strap is too stiff though, and kinks instead of curving. Might try the tan one from the spare ammo set.

1 x 7.62mm NATO ammo Links 10 rounds (full metal and movable) - who doesn't like these?

1 x AK-47 Rifle - not a bad version of the rifle. Looks closest to my DML versions. Very faint woodgrain paint job, almost not even visible. The back sling mount moves. Forward handgrip lower section comes off to install the M 203 grenade launcher. Paint is kind of ho hum, almost no weathering/wear. Not a bad version though. Size appears to be OK too. {Edit, this is actually a copy of the DID AK-47, not the DML. A bit bigger than the DML.)

1 x M203 40 mm Grenade Launcher - don't bother. Customize a BBI one to fit and you will be much happier with the result. Poor detail, so-so weathering, doesn't open, no trigger guard, and looks too small scale wise.

1 x AK-47 Bayonet - cool item, but where is the sheath? None in my box. Not even a spot in the packing for it, so I think that little detail got missed. Ooops. I think Red Horse is the only other one that has a proper Ak Bayonet, and maybe those Armoury figures.

4 x AK-47 magazine - nothing new, made to fit the rifle

(Sig)P226 pistol with Holster (OD) - holster looks like eveyone elses, but the pistol is like the early ACE models. black plastic, with no weathering. Use the BBI models, they just look better.

M1911 Pistol with Holster (Tactical Black) - holster same as above. Pistol looks like a cleaned up 21c. Not a great job there either. Go with the HT model from the new USMC MEF figures, and change the holsters if necessary

My dis-likes? The M203 is a waste of time. Should have put more time into the bayonet sheath, that isn't there. If this guy is a PMC, where are his BP vest and radio/cell phone. Those pistols could have been done better too. Paint job on the sculpt and weathering overall could be better. Fit on the gloves could be better.

My overall impression? I actully like this figure. It may not be as good as the Soldier Story OSF Exclusive, but for the first figure release by Barrack Sergeant it is a great first effort. It has some cool new gear, and the fantastic new body. It reminds me of early Dragon or BBI inappearance, but with better quality. And, the regular version will have some different coloured stuff too. Good price, about $85- $95 for the exclusive right now. Considering the M60 set alone goes for Approx $20-25, I think it's a pretty good deal and you get that great new body. Oh yeah almost forgot, did I mention the body? 'Nuff said.

These are just my opinions, you be the judge your self. And feel free to add anything I might have missed. And if you have pics of the regular version feel free to post those here too.

Enjoy, Michael

Attachments

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Cool review Wooly, you've made up my mind about some of these parts that I was thinking of getting, and actually talked me into getting others :p
Great pictures as well. Could you take one with him wearing the M60 chestrig, and another while aiming his rifle? I'd like to see how bulky or not bulky it looks on a figure :p Grr! I should have bought that jacket when I had the chances :razz

·
Registered
335 Posts
Great review, Michael. I love that tactical jacket....I looked at the pics before I read your review and it was the first one that really caught my eye...glad to hear that you like it up close! I love the headsculpt...look at those lips!!! Thanks for the close up pics and time you took to review.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's some more pics. And by the way those are Dragon shades, this figure does not come with them. There are a lot of loose strings inside the jacket that need to be trimmed so they don't snag and lint up the figure. If you are lazy like me they'll just be left alone till a better time.

I got the extra Ak mags in the small pouches, even with the length of those mags. And the cardboard 7.62mm ammo box fits into the main pouches :banana . Those boxes do fit 100 rounds in them, of those metal links. I have enough extra BSgt extra ammo sets, that I could link them together and fill a box. That's cool!

Saiko as requested, here are those pics of posability with the gear on. Got a prone position with the Mk 43 too. I left some of the foam inserts to fill the pockets, and to see how good the fit is when the fig is posed. Hope you like, I do.

I just checked out some images of the regular release figure, and this is what I noticed. All the OD items, and tan/coyote brown are switched. One colour becomes the other. The medical dropdown and hydropack are also tan. The sculpt is not as nice either. Looks like the gloves are even included. Hardly makes this one exclusive, just by changing the sculpt and colours, but I am OK with that. If I was to get the other version I could have an AK gunner and a Mk 43 gunner and mix and match uniforms.

Update 3 May, 2010 The differences of the sets;
Pants on reg release are green.
TAD Jacket is Tan.
NARP(Combat casualty dropdown) med dropdown is Tan.
T-shirt on reg release has pockets on short sleeves, the LTD version is just a brown t.
Mk43 Mod1 with the reg release, Mk 43 Mod0 with the LTD release.
Chest rig tan on the reg release.
Padded riggers belt is tan on reg.
Ball cap is green on reg.
Safariland holster for the Sig is tan on reg.
Shemaugh is black and white on reg, white and red on LTD.
Hydopack is tan on reg.
Padded Belt is Tan on reg.

See this thread too. http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74907

Attachments

·
Yeeah boyee!!!
691 Posts
Cool review, I had my eye on this figure. Not too keen on the head though it is well done. Love the gloves, great for all those looking to do an accurate Rey Mysterio or Chuck Palumbo bash!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Cool, thanks for the extra pictures Wooly. Yeah I had noticed the colour swap as well, but I think any of them are good on their own, even in tactical black :lol Actually I think the sculpt on this one is better, the other one looks like DMLs youth Sam Blake or something, more of a kid than a young PMC or serviceman.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I did notice the 'Sam Blake' sculpt with the weak paint job on that sculpt as well. I don't mind the young looking sculpt, but as a PMC it seems out of place being so young. The sculpt on the exclusive version is better, and more appropriate. Maybe 'Sam' is a PMC prodigy :lol

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just got one of the DID AKs, and it is the same thing I think. Have some other loose stuff coming soon to add to the pics.

[Edit] Exactly the same. Grenade launcher too.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK the AK with the M203 is the same as the DiD carded AK, so no need to post pics unless someone wants to see it again.

Got some loose gear and added this to the list. The regular release sculpt, copied from DML Sam Blake, and the tan medical dropdown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know a place that I can purchase the jacket, pants and belt from this set. I am very new to the hobby and really would like these items. I have looked several places and am running out of luck, can anyone help me on this board, i like the tan pants and the green jacket and do not want to purchase the whole set as I have seen it on ebay and some other sites. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and if i need to move this to a different area of the board please let me know.
Regards, Jordy

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Does anyone know a place that I can purchase the jacket, pants and belt from this set. I am very new to the hobby and really would like these items. I have looked several places and am running out of luck, can anyone help me on this board, i like the tan pants and the green jacket and do not want to purchase the whole set as I have seen it on ebay and some other sites. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and if i need to move this to a different area of the board please let me know.
Regards, Jordy
Welcome to the board Jordy:) I have seen this figure parted out at sites called War-Toys and Monkey Depot ( I will post links below ).

The only other place that I remember from my own search for parts from this figure was a place called Krak-Troops. Unfortunately they are no longer open - but you may have some luck with the other sites that I mentioned. And of course there is always the option of posting a "Looking For" thread in the Open Market section of the board - you will find some very helpful folks on the board.

Best of luck, Mike

http://www.war-toys.com

http://www.monkeydepot.com

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome to OSW.

The tan pants/green jacket are from the exclusive set, and are harder to come by as fewer sets were made. The regular version has tan jacket/green pants.

I believe Blackopstoys on ebay will have some stuff in stock from this figure, but probably just the regular version. I don't think their own online store has any. I just got some of the parts from the regular issue figure recently.... maybe time for an update too. Got them from Blackopstoys.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Black-O...605QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ10QQ_scZ1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts