One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I want to start off by saying something that some might deem controversial,

Applying the word scale to an action figure is a huge misnomer! There, I said it!

Companies like HT seem to think that their products are to a scale, they apply '1/6 scale' to it. Most of the time they aren't even in proper scale with each other, let alone 1/6 scale. Some accessories may be 1/6, but, let's not fool ourselves that the figures all are. Most use standard bodies with standard proportions, where the hands and feet are all the same size. That's not scale. Real people are not all the same size. They have different heights, different builds and different proportions. Obviously it would be too much time and effort to make figures that are truly the size and scale they actually are, but, it is really time companies stopped applying a known model scale to their products and brainwashing people into thinking that just because they say it's that scale it IS that scale.

This all came to me because everyone was complaining about the Bandai model kit of the Stormtrooper because it didn't match the size of their beloved HT figures. To me, what the Bandai model kit is is a properly scaled 1/6 Stormtrooper. It is a scale model, not an action figure. Yes, it has the articulation present in action figures, but, it is NOT one! This all becomes apparent when you don't stand it alongside action figures, on its own it becomes what it is, a great looking Stormtrooper.

When you first get the kit, what really hits you is the size of the box, it's BIG!:

The sprues almost fill the box too:

And now, look at them all, sprue, sprue, Barney McGrue, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub:

Transparent sprue on the same sprue as solid parts, you don't see that every day:

Provided you follow the comprehensive instructions (Yes, they are largely in Japanese, but, you can follow the pics!) construction of the kit is pretty straightforward. I was going to make this into a massive WIP thread like Chop would, this was as far as I got:

Then I decided it would all take too much time and I just went ahead and built it:

I just had to fully paint and weather the blaster:

You can put the holster on either side, but, I found out that ANH Stormies were lefties, so I put mine on the correct side:

You can't tell in this pic, but, I did get overzealous with my sprue cutters and took a chunk out of that lens, I think I hid it rather well:

And there you have it. If you're a scale modeller and have loads of model kits then this is a worthy addition to your collection. It might all seem daunting at first, but, follow the instructions and you'll end up with a really nice model. If you want to see all the articulation, check out this video:

If they do Vader or Fett I'll be all over them!

CHEERS!

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Lookin' real good Roger!
I have the damnedest time with Stormtroopers...they look so great glossy and clean, but look so bad ass weathered and beat to hell...

(not one of mine)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought this set, opened it up and immediately put it in my garage because I was intimidated.
It does look daunting at first, but, if you study everything and take your time, you will persevere, and it is worth it. I'd love to see you do a fully weathered one.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lookin' real good Roger!
I have the damnedest time with Stormtroopers...they look so great glossy and clean, but look so bad ass weathered and beat to hell...
You could do it to this kit, though you'd have to prime it first as the plastic is really glossy. You'd really have to airbrush the white before weathering.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me, this kit looks like all the cosplayers you see. It was watching YouTube videos from one of them, a girl that calls herself Ace Cosplay, that convinced me to get the kit. She has several sets of 1/1 armour, one of which is the Shepperton Hero armour, taken from the actual ANH costumes. She and others showed that Stormtroopers all varied, they were shorter and taller and helmet sizes did vary depending on whether they were hero or stunt versions.

It pays to look at the actual thing before you go judging stuff

CHEERS!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I really want to get one of these but am always leery of over seas shopping
Is that were you ordered yours? Or through a domestic location and had them bring it in?
If you don't mind, how much did it come to all total?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a UK retailer that imports them and I paid £80. I'm sure there are sellers in the US on eBay, it pays to look around.

One thing I forgot to mention on mine, I painted the blue buttons on the abdomen armour, the colour I used was Citadel Teclis Blue. I then put a coat of Klear over the top just to give them a sheen. It's the best way to do them.

CHEERS!

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
a quick question for ya..since you have to put the thing together, is there any room under the armor for a black body suit? or is it pretty tight? just curious mostly...
my experience with bandai kits says that it isn't a body with attachable armour, but rather the armour is part of the body so a suit wouldn't work. I had the idea of using small pieces of fabric to cover visible joints but not sure if possible as don't yet have the kit.

alternate method might be to shovelchop that kit with a dremmel to turn the parts into actual armour plates to use on a standard body, but that might be too much work for us mere mortals

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaz is correct, these are like giant Figuarts, not Marmit(e). I don't think any of the armour would fit anything like a TT anyway. As I said at the start HT aren't really 1/6. Some weapons and accessories might be, but that's where it ends. People kept complaining that some custom headsculpts were too large, I don't think they were. The sculptor was asked for a 1/6 head, and that was more than likely exactly what they got! If they'd asked for a head the same size as an HT head then they would probably have got what they thought they needed.

I'm not sure where 1/6 came into the action figure market, whether it was 21C or DML. DML primarily did model kits, so their accessories were probably true to scale, it explains the boots that looked oversized. Whatever, it's been misappropriated ever since and it casts true scale stuff like Bandai in a bad light, because people wrongheadedly believe it doesn't conform to what HT et al are calling 1/6. To me that's wrong.

CHEERS!

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Looks perfect to me Roger! I don't know what all the hullabaloo was about and don't really care tbh, as long as it looks good in hand who cares? We know how deceptive pictures are, yes they lie. Funnily enough I've just started doing HMM (high-end master models) Zoid WIP threads too, now that will scare you Zebraten! LOL. As for an under-suit, you could just cut holes in it where the parts need to peg in.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you,

If you google Harrison Ford's height, they say that, in his prime, he was 1.85m, which is 6ft. I don't know if that measurement included shoes but, divide 185 by 6 and rounded up it's 30cm or 12". If something looks bigger than an HT size figure, people grumble that it's 1/5, not so. 185 divided by 5 is 37, that's nearly 14". The Bandai Stormie is under 12" which brings it in at the right size for someone of around 5' 10" wearing the armour. So, I'm resting my case, the kit is 1/6.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interestingly, Anthony Daniels was 1.75m. Divide 175 by 6 and you get about 29cm. Stand the Hasbro Threepio next to the Bandai Stormie and he looks just right!

Go figure!

CHEERS!

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
Thank you,

If you google Harrison Ford's height, they say that, in his prime, he was 1.85m, which is 6ft. I don't know if that measurement included shoes but, divide 185 by 6 and rounded up it's 30cm or 12". If something looks bigger than an HT size figure, people grumble that it's 1/5, not so. 185 divided by 5 is 37, that's nearly 14". The Bandai Stormie is under 12" which brings it in at the right size for someone of around 5' 10" wearing the armour. So, I'm resting my case, the kit is 1/6.

CHEERS!
I think most people do it by feet. 1' is 12", so in 1:6 scale is 6' /6 = 1' aka 12"

for shorter individuals (like Tom Cruise) 10-11 inches (didn't check his actual height for conversion) would be correct. HT's latest Iron Man and War Machine figures are bigger than previous ones which were already too tall to match the Tony Stark figure that seems to be the correct height for the character so HT are shifting away from 1:6 with those and edging towards the 1:5 line slowly but surely

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm, it's sounding to me like HT might actually be getting towards proper 1/6 then, if my measurement of 1/5 is correct. If this is the case then I might give them the benefit of the doubt.....

CHEERS!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts