One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the 1/6 Stormtrooper, I fancied something a bit different. I knew I wanted another Bandai Star Wars kit, but, space would always be the main consideration. I toyed with the AT-AT, which, in 1/144 was still imposing, but still not too large. On looking at reviews I decided it was still a bit big. I needed something that would still be imposing, but have a smaller footprint where space was concerned. The 1/48 AT-ST fit the bill perfectly. These kits go together like Lego, so construction wouldn't be a problem. Faithful colours on the other hand...

I gathered up as many pics of the original model as I could, and then I used the colour picker in Photoshop. This generated an RGB code, which I then entered here:

RGB color (159, 171, 169) to Hex, Pantone, RAL, HSL, HSV, HSB, JSON. Get color scheme.

This then gave me a RAL paint code, I then looked at colour charts to see what the equivalents were. The best match for the exterior colour was Vallejo Sky Grey 70.989.

The kit does have a full interior and crew, which I did detail, but, you can't see much through the cab windows, so it did go to waste a bit. I forgot to take any pics of it all too and I only realised once I'd put the cab roof on! I could take it off, but, I don't want to damage the kit now it's finished. Trust me, they are in there!

The base on its own looked a bit bland, so I spruced it up with copious amounts of Vallejo weathering effects and various Woodland Scenics and Javis products. The AT-ST itself was weathered with Vallejo model washes and pigments which were sealed with Dullcote. I also added a few scratches here and there with a technical drawing pencil. A finishing touch was a plaque I had left over from an old AMT Speederbike kit.

Anyway, here, courtesy of Imgur, are the pics:

Note the side opening hatch, this is correct for the go motion models, only the full size one had the rear opening hatch.

All in all this was a fun build. I had a bit of trouble with the rocket pod, though clever weathering saved the day! This is highly recommended!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
VERY nice, rogerbee!

I haven't built any of the Bandai Star Wars kits, but had built a fair number of the old MPC / AMT kits back in the day...ah the memories!

Now, just take measurements off your kit, multiply by 8, then you have the dimensions to scratchbuild one in sixth scale!

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
I can see a lot of work and love went into this build! Great result and dio base. Is there no way you can put the roof on a hinge like the old Kenner ones to see inside as a cool gimmick?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VERY nice, rogerbee!

I haven't built any of the Bandai Star Wars kits, but had built a fair number of the old MPC / AMT kits back in the day...ah the memories!

Now, just take measurements off your kit, multiply by 8, then you have the dimensions to scratchbuild one in sixth scale!
Someone probably could, but I won't. It would be expensive as hell to produce. There were kits done that matched the studio scale ones though, you could customise these with the actual model kit parts that ILM used.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see a lot of work and love went into this build! Great result and dio base. Is there no way you can put the roof on a hinge like the old Kenner ones to see inside as a cool gimmick?
Mmm, interesting, idea, but no, not one I'll do. You could do it with the Black Series one.

CHEERS!

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad I didn't put those pics on Photobucket!

CHEERS!
Haha I bet!
I wonder if you could rig up a small LED in there, like from a Tea Light or something...could help show off the interior a bit, and I bet it would look deadly at night.
I've got one of the 3-3/4 ones that I want to weather up, will definitely be taking some cues from your build.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indeed it does, though I lack the know how to get it done. I think the guy that has the Bashing Kits page on FB does lighting rigs for kits, I'm sure I have a kit he did for a 1/6 Cylon.

CHEERS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts