One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the success of the popsicle thread, I thought I'd start more threads about other useful materials. I planted a patch of bamboo in my back yard over a decade ago so I'd have plenty of building material for my projects but there is a lot of wasted material left over afterwards. I initially started making miniatures as a way of getting rid of all the materials left over from my larger projects.

What to do with all the offcuts and tiny lengths of bamboo? Here are some suggestions. This one branch is enough to make all of the following items.

The dynamite is bamboo filled with clay and wrapped in brown paper. The fuse is coconut fibre.

The cigar is two tiny pieces of different diameters, one inside the other, so the end looks like rolled tobacco.

The cigarettes are small pieces painted in matt white with one end left untouched so it looks like a filter.

The telescope is a length of bamboo sanded on the inside to thin the wall and a worn-out Dremel mandrel. I've made others using bullet-head nails.

Attachments

·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anything for which you need a hollow tube, consider bamboo. Buy some from a garden nursery, leave it in a pot at home somewhere, and you'll have a free supply forever.

Here are some pens made from bamboo, a length of wire up the middle, and a piece of steel cut from a can. The paint job needs refining.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Anything for which you need a hollow tube, consider bamboo. Buy some from a garden nursery, leave it in a pot at home somewhere, and you'll have a free supply forever.

Here are some pens made from bamboo, a length of wire up the middle, and a piece of steel cut from a can. The paint job needs refining.
Wow! Your on a roll my man! Bamboo is a great material to use and you have found some brilliant ways to use it. I have had need to use bamboo over the years so i always have some on hand. Your fortunate to have your own supply, fresh bamboo! Here,s some pic, of some things i made years ago back in the Edo period ha ha1 Wood Twig Material property Composite material Lumber
Drum Wood Twig Basket Rope

·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You're fortunate to have your own supply, fresh bamboo!
Everyone can have their own supply of bamboo. It is piss-easy to grow (it is just grass). All you need is a pot with some dirt positioned somewhere that gets sunlight a few hours a day.

Love your bamboo projects. Do you have any finished jobs?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Everyone can have their own supply of bamboo. It is piss-easy to grow (it is just grass). All you need is a pot with some dirt positioned somewhere that gets sunlight a few hours a day.

Thank,s mate. No, thats about it at present but i do foresee some bamboo construction work in the future.I agree it is easy to grow, a lot of different strains & colors, got me thinking now.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts

Living where I do means that getting bamboo isn't a problem - it grows everwhere. This is one of my VN Aussie SASR in the garden of the last place we lived:

You're right, it is versatile - here's a longbow I made from bamboo (although it's a bit too short) with the ends of porcupine quills as cowhorn knocks:

Most of the hootch and its trestle are made from bamboo:

·
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I've tried weaving my own mini bamboo baskets with mixed success but I've just found these. They are so cheap that it isn't worth my trouble to make my own. I've just ordered a heap to put in my bits & pieces box. Bargain!

Vintage 2.5" Handmade Miniature Woven Basket Bamboo Wood Model Decorate A1027 | eBay
Vintage 2" Handmade Miniature Woven Basket Hat Bamboo Wood Model DIY Kit A1028 | eBay
60mm Round Handmade Artificial Weaving Basket Bamboo Wood Craft Decorate A1202 | eBay
75mm Oval Handmade Artificial Weaving Basket Bamboo Wood Craft Decorate A1203 | eBay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.