One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone may help me out here.

I've just applied super sculpey on a plastic head, wanted to know what would be the best method of harden the head. I'm not sure what kind of temperature the head would withstand in an oven. I tried the hairdryer but sculpey doesn't seem to harden much whilst the plastic start to loosen.

If anyone had experience with something like, hope to hear some advice from you.

Thanks

Nai

·
Registered
153 Posts
actually, a hair dryer is the ONLY way i have ever done it.. i guess i keep it close enough to heat, but not so close that the plastic melts.. its a happy medium.

maybe someone else has another method, but i have never gone wrong with the hair dryer & i have been doing this for a while :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes seems to be the only way.

I've been stop/starting using the hairdryer, so the plastic have time to cool down for me to heat up the sculpey again. Quite time consuming.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Sculpy can be boiled as well, would work better then a hairdryer or baking, i have tried all 3 methods actually and the only one that gave good results is boiling. Hair dryer takes forever and baking will melt the original head or warp it beyond belief

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Storm, will try the boiling method, that won't do any damage to the plastic?

I've just bought some milliput to try sculpting with, will try any materials at the moment. since I new to this scene I want to learn about different kind of clays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup. Like Storm says, put it in boiling water and it'll all come out fine for this application. Nothing wrong with Sculpey.

This is a 21st HS with all Sculpeyed facial and head hair. Beard, moustache and head hair were all done in separate sculpt-and-boil stages.

·
Spiritual Advisor
236 Posts
After some unsuccessful experiments with my oven, I always boil the Sculpey.

Some thoughts:
  • Use a separate recipient, so you don't have to care about toxicity, and store it apart from the kitchenware.
  • Add a fistful of salt to the water, to increase the boiling point - I haven't checked how much does this raise the temp, but it will help.
  • Use a cloth filter to keep the plastic parts from touching the sides of the recipient (they're hotter than the water, and can melt any plastic that comes to contact - my first attempt worked flawlessly... but for the now earless head :doh)

Hope it helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a noob so forgive me if I say something obvious but... go back to the store where you purchased the sculpy from and ask for a heat gun for embossing... I got mine for about $15 or the cost to fill up a 1:6 scale vehicle with regular unleaded at the height of the gas crisis. It's like a hair dryer on steroids. It'll bake the sculpy and allow you to direct the heat at only the sculpy. Always point heat gun away from face unless that's the part you are attempting to harden. It will take a while to harden and it should be noted that Sculpy doesn't get it's hardest until it's cooled again.

I've used this on 1:8 scale busts to harden a high collar or finishing touch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
e e e e... those are the e's for the Sculpey that I so awesomely misspelled. Also, if part of the sculpture that you are trying to harden contains a nose be warned that an embossing gun will burn the tip faster than an oven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.