One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about new US Vietnam figures on the board recently, I'm considering putting together a tribute to Australians that fought in the conflict.

While I'm familiar with the images of Australians in Vietnam, I'm not entirely sure on what gear to use for a reasonable degree of accuracy, but as we have some servicemen and ex-servicement here on OSW, as well as some very knowledgable others, I figure it can't hurt to start a thread for some advice.

I'm not going to go for absolute accuracy, but would like it to be pretty reasonable, though also at a reasonable cost.

I'm wondering if the greens on this guy, Nate would be appropriate as a start:
http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/70107.html
Alternately, Dragon's "Mike" Green Beret figure:
http://die-cast-army.over-blog.com/article-13343207.html

Nate has the boonie hat, though Mike's webbing seems a bit closer. Neither of course has an SLR/FN FAL.

I know 1RAR upgraded to the US tropical combat boots. Would it safe to assume this was commonplace across the Australian contingent?

The final figure doesn't have to be SASR or anything, I'd just be happy with a regular soldier to begin with, and if I keep bashing it enough to go specific, I'd go D Company, 6RAR. Though that'd be only if the rest of the model works well enough to my satisfaction to that point.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Although *some* Australians managed to purloin US Jungle greens to wear in the field it was far more prevalent for them to wear Australian issue green shirt and trousers. The closest uniform to these was that which came with the British PTO soldier 'Harry Sinclair' that BBI put out. Unfortunately this is no longer available but you may be able to find it loose on EBay or one of the e-tailers.

The closest boonie hat came with one of DML's first moderns, 'Greg' the Scud Hunter. Although the colour is US Desert 'choc chip' camo and would need to be dyed/painted OD green the shape is pretty much right.

The full leather GP boots were standard right up to the end of Australia's involvement and beyond. I don't know of any Australian unit (save SASR) acquiring them en masse but this *may* have been possible at the company or platoon level with the consent of the OC and CQMS.

There are numerous references to Aussies in Vietnam on this board and if you use the search function there ought to be a wealth of detail - so fill your boots!

You may also want to check out the Australian home grown 1:6 board here:

http://groundpounderhq.yuku.com/forums/13

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello azazel,

Heres a bash I did some time ago. Breakdown of parts:

Boots - 21C Spetsnaz (there are a lot closer in looks than US version)
Shirt/Pants/scarf - BBI Harry Sinclair
M1956 Webbing - DML (US 56 pouches were used, along with 37 pat and larger Bren gun pouches)
Butt pack - 21C
Bayonet - Armoury
L1A1 - Modified Armoury
Field dressing - DML
Toggle rope and MG ammo belt - scratch built.
Bush hat - DML (painted Jungle Green)
Brit Patt 37 large pack was used early in the conflict

Here are some weapons used by the diggers in Vietnam:

I hope it helps.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Thanks for adding those, they didn't pop up for me when I used the infallible Search Monster. I figured there were more out there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
ya l hurd the ozzies fought in nam, and aperently canada fought there as well, there was a comercial on the history chanel called vietnam canadas unknown war, but l missed it,l guess canadains didnt now we were there , l dont know what they did there tho

·
Australian OSW member
2,250 Posts
Nice DB - I missed that bash - great work! As was your's Aussie Digger. I have some RL pics of my Auncle in vietnam (Engineer / tunnel rat) i would be happy to PM you. Let me know. Also pop Spanner one of Aussie members here a PM - he is a wealth of information on the AUS forces subjects.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Not much more to add but a little:
For Greens the choices are the bbi Sinclair uniform , not 100% but the best available match, an alternate is to get the USMC Sullivan Khaki Shirts and dye them OG. The Aussie pattern Tropical Jungle Greens (Pixies) are a sewing job using a couple of US 4 pocket shirts as a base. The SOTW ones may be a good start point and a lot cheaper than DML.
Weapons are really only what Auzzie Digger showed but the M16/203 was very late war 71+ for RAR. The SLR from RMC is the best available but you need to fill in the foregrip vent holes and drill the Aussie pattern of three circular ones.
The Bush hat is avail from Hot toys and the DML 6 colour one mentioned (my favourite one). Boots GP are tricky and the best upper is the bbi Marine Allen but with the sole thinned down or replaced by a late Altama type boot sole.
Webbing isn't hard, for early rotations use US M1956 but use 37 pattern basic pouches in place of the samll pouches. A close approximation of the large Aust F1 Basic pouch appears to be in the new Soldier Story MACV SOG figure.
Sweat rags are generally worn and sleeves are down usually unless patrolling local camp perimeter. Water bottles are US plastic in cotton covers. A 3m togle rope which was 12mm dark green nylon rope with a spliced eye in each end was carried rolled up like a hangmans noose on the left han basic pouch.
Webbing tended to be worn as far round the side of the body as possible but was not always possible. This allowed for comfort when going to ground.
Backpacks are harder to find and the Large 37 pattern one from Charles Black the WW2 Brit is OK but needs to be recoloured. No one does the Austpack in Mk 1 or 2 but some Alice Packs were used later in the war.
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That one has been modified and is not like the originals in that it has fastex connectors on the straps. The Mk 1 and 2 had a quick release on the left hand (as worn) strap which had the same type of fastener as the Basic pouch. There was no fastener on the right hand strap.
The Mk 2 had webbing belt around the top and bottom so that items could be added like extra pouches or Waterbottles. I used to car an extra 4 waterbottles and two bren pouches on mine as the storage capacity of these packs was non existent. I swapped out for a Med Alice early on but found the Alice does a lot of lower back injury.
Cheers
Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.