One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Against my better judgment (and personal pet peeves) I'm making a thread regarding the chat. However, it's not one of those usual come-and-talk-to-me posts.

As many of us know, the OSW has recently undergone a server change that also affected the chatroom.

We've managed to figure out a few glitches through trial and error. No fixes, but at least ways to avoid problems.

Today, Grizzerr found out that using a separate link than the one on the OSW page to go to chat greatly reduces the chance of your chat window lagging or stalling when the board does.

ALSO,.......

When you play in the sandbox and it's time to go home, you don't crap in it when you leave. Somebody is going to have to clean it up.

WHEN YOU LEAVE chat, please take your name with you. Using the red X at the top right corner of the chat window will log you out of chat and remove your name from the list. Not doing so will result in your "ghost" remaining. Somebody's going to have to clean that up.
I've personally seen three mods/admins work on/clean up the chat of ghosts. This has to be done manually and typed for each name.
If you find you can't get in to chat, it's probably because you disregarded previous simple explanations of how to leave properly and in the subsequent clean-up you were accidentally banned.

The mods have enough to do than to sit there manually removing people who are either apathetic or just plain don't give a damn enough to clean up after themselves.

Until a fix or the equivalent comes from Norm, let's try and at least pretend like we're responsible.

Clicking a red X shouldn't be too hard, should it?

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
OK let me see if I have this right..... I, click... Like on an X? a red X? and it like....does something that is ...like....good for you, good for me? Wow! This whole interweb dealie is sooooooo complicated!! Can you like do up, like a diagram? I'm not getting it.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
OK let me see if I have this right..... I, click... Like on an X? a red X? and it like....does something that is ...like....good for you, good for me? Wow! This whole interweb dealie is sooooooo complicated!! Can you like do up, like a diagram? I'm not getting it.

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
I realize you guys are having fun with this but.... It is not always a red "x". It depends on what layout and colour scheme you are using. My x is actually purple. Most people might not see the "x" because it doesn't appear until you mouse over the little circle in the upper right corner of the chat window. Click that and you will log out properly.

Just clicking on the red "x" of the window only closes the window and leaves you logged in.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
A purple X??? You doing the pastel color scheme HP??

Step by step...

See the box in upper right with everyones names in it that are in chat? Yeah, that's right the box to the right of the chat window.

Now look to the right upper corner of that box. You there?? Good now look just above that box.

See an X, whatever color it is and may be in a box or circle...it's an X!!

Click it to leave...how do you know it worked?? You'll be taken back to the OSW main page.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
OK, wait a minute.... so like.... the x isn't red...it's like..purple? and invisible? And I like.... have to drag a mouse over it? Does like the mouse have to be.....you know alive when I do this? Cause I don't think my wife will like that. The dragging live mice around my house that is. Cause if the red X, which isn't red......it's purple and like....invisible, will be really hard to find. Can you at least tell me like.... what room it's in?

Oh, and grizz? I've been clicking on that red X you posted for over and hour now and it still won't chat with me.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
OK, wait a minute.... so like.... the x isn't red...it's like..purple? and invisible? And I like.... have to drag a mouse over it? Does like the mouse have to be.....you know alive when I do this? Cause I don't think my wife will like that. The dragging live mice around my house that is. Cause if the red X, which isn't red......it's purple and like....invisible, will be really hard to find. Can you at least tell me like.... what room it's in?
LMFAO!! Have an image of HC dragging a squeeky mouse around the house while his wife screams at him and the cat just sits back looking amused.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Thats because your IE is incompatible with a purple rodent named macintosh. or that the X is red but invisible so you can't ever find it....ever. Now if you decide you just need to wave a mouse over anything make sure it's in a diaper otherwise you have flying mouse **** aaaaaaaall over the place. I've tried just about everything and the only thing I've accomplished is to cover my kitchen in mouse poo and make my wife cry.

Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you play in the sandbox and it's time to go home, you don't crap in it when you leave. Somebody is going to have to clean it up.

WHEN YOU LEAVE chat, please take your name with you. Using the red X at the top right corner of the chat window will log you out of chat and remove your name from the list. Not doing so will result in your "ghost" remaining. Somebody's going to have to clean that up.
I've personally seen three mods/admins work on/clean up the chat of ghosts. This has to be done manually and typed for each name.
If you find you can't get in to chat, it's probably because you disregarded previous simple explanations of how to leave properly and in the subsequent clean-up you were accidentally banned.

The mods have enough to do than to sit there manually removing people who are either apathetic or just plain don't give a damn enough to clean up after themselves.

Until a fix or the equivalent comes from Norm, let's try and at least pretend like we're responsible.

Clicking a red X shouldn't be too hard, should it?
Last night I left by closing my web browser, as usual. Today i can't log in the chat because I have a message saying that a user has already logged with my username. I suppose I am logged as ghost at the moment and that it is due to the way I left the chat last night. Sorry about that, my bad, it's just the habit to leave by closing the browser. I should be more careful next time ;)

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Good post LG. I've been in and out of chat a few times and I have been clicking the red x as you suggested, but it seems the chat is still populated by ghosts, so I wonder if "I'm" still in there too. o_O;

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Last night I left by closing my web browser, as usual. Today i can't log in the chat because I have a message saying that a user has already logged with my username. I suppose I am logged as ghost at the moment and that it is due to the way I left the chat last night. Sorry about that, my bad, it's just the habit to leave by closing the browser. I should be more careful next time ;)
So, when I close out I click the x in the upper right corner that is part of the internet explorer window. This is wrong, I need to click the x in the upper right of the chat window (just above the list of users in the room, in a circle by default). Am I correct or am I getting my x's mixed up. I'd snap a screenshot of the chat window and highlight them if I knew how to take a screen shot.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well something still isn't right. When I went in the room last night first my posts either were not sending to the main room or I was booted several times without the window closing. Then when I got ready to sign out the window froze up and the page would not close at all.
Paul

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.