• Hands X 5 Pairs
  • Head Sculpt
  • Leather Skirt
  • Stockings X 1 Pair
  • Sword X 2
  • Thong
  • Waist Armor

The MSRP is approximately $155.00 USD.

The release date is approximately 1ST QTR 2018.

--

See less See more
#6 ·
While it still doesn't look like Eva Green, it's still better than the one by Star Ace. And the smile is kind of cool in a creepy weird way.
My thoughts exactly. I was diappointed with Star Ace's version. Since I just finished watching the movie two days ago, I could tell this is much closer to Eva Green. It's not perfect but at least it has a pssing resemblance to the actress.

#3 ·
It's funny.

I read elsewhere how the likeness doesn't resemble Eva Green.

The figure is not being advertised as bearing Eva Green's likeness in any way whatsoever. It's not even referencing the film we all can guess that it's based on.

It's simply being advertised as a Female Roman Warrior named "Artemisia". Last I checked, there was no IP right to the referenced historical battle in history or the names of any of the historical characters.

I'm not even considering let alone disappointed by the supposed issue of likeness/resemblance.

The figure's price is more reasonable compared to the "official" offering from that other brand we all know that is very overpriced.

I don't know who ASTOYS is. They could be a brand new fly by night 1:6 brand/manufacturer or an existing known brand using an alias to produce and sell the figure.

#8 ·
If the likeness/resemblance issue can be set aside for the time being, do any of us believe/feel the figure "as is" . . . again not focusing on the likeness/resemblance . . . the figure could be/maybe worthwhile more so compared to the "other version"?

#10 ·
The name "Artemisia" and the guise of a warrior queen is obviously a reference to the movie. And so is the basic look. The eyes are pretty cool, but some of the other features still look exaggerated to me. The "Roman" label seems to be either a red herring to throw off potential complications for venturing on possibly license-protected territory, or just the same sort of cultural/historical carelessness we saw with TBL Athena. Although I appreciated the visuals and pace of the film, it was horrid as history and, to the bewilderment of my friends, I am not a fan of the star. So this is still a very easy pass for me.

#15 ·
I dig it a lot actually!

I hope the head sculpt on the final figure is as good as pictured, but I doubt it will be. It may not look exactly like Eva Green but it gives me a better impression of her than the official StarAce version. I love that crazy smirk! It really gives me that 'crazy/dangerous' vibe I get from Eva Green whenever I see her in movies.

If it's a seamless/Jiaou body, it seems like a waste, given the coverage the outfit provides, but it would be cool if they used one anyway!

As for AsToys, aren't they the ones that made the recent "Amazon" Wonder Woman bootleg with a "Gal Gadot" style head and outfit, but with a larger bust and a JiaouDoll body?

If so, that figure and accessories were very good for the price. I have it and like it a lot, except for it's head. The final headsculpt didn't quite match the fleshtone of the body and has somewhat lifeless 'doll' eyes. The hairpiece also fell off right out of the box. I think this figure of Artemesia looks great, and I'd easily risk ordering her, if I find a reputable state-side retailer who carries her.

#23 ·
--

WELL . . .

If I met a lady cosplayer dressed like and wearing a breastplate with a seam in the center/middle like that and the size is 38DD . . . the fault in appearance, design, etc. would not matter to me at that juncture.

#25 ·
I agree the seam is silly where it is but Just a question then regarding 'boob plate' armour.

I used to play paintball years ago and I seem to remember even then having body armour tailored to my body shape as opposed to a male body.

So if there were female knights what would their breast plate be like? I could see a flat metal breast plate being uncomfortable.

That being said didn't the Greeks and Romans have a fetish for 'sculpted' armour?

#26 ·
I agree the seam is silly where it is but Just a question then regarding 'boob plate' armour.

I used to play paintball years ago and I seem to remember even then having body armour tailored to my body shape as opposed to a male body.

So if there were female knights what would their breast plate be like? I could see a flat metal breast plate being uncomfortable.

That being said didn't the Greeks and Romans have a fetish for 'sculpted' armour?

#28 ·
Ok, historically there were no female knights as a rule (notice there isn't a word for it), but there are exceptions. Joan of Arc is one of them. Unfortunately the only surviving contemporary image of her is a doodle in regular dress. As far as I know, this is her earliest (15th century) depiction in armor (and she certainly had some set of armor, but whether that is accurately depicted here I don't think we know):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Joan_of_Arc_miniature_graded.jpg
It looks to me like standard knightly armor, but of the kind that allowed plenty of space over the chest and would have been able to accommodate a female body (especially not Dolly Parton) suitably enough.

Before this, Queen Eleanor of France (later of England), Duchess of Aquitaine, accompanied her husband Louis VII of France on the Second Crusade. Someone recorded that the queen and her ladies-in-waiting were armored and dressed "like Amazons." That probably was simply an allusion to the one society known from history (or rather literature) to have had many (in this case all) female warriors. Again, no contemporary image of what the armor or armament looked like.

Speaking of Amazons, it is they, not Greek huntresses, that supposedly cut off one breast so that it would not get in the way of drawing the bow. But it is doubtful that Greeks ever encountered Amazons to record anything factual about them, besides in their dreams. One interpretation is that they confused beardless Hittites for women in some sort of surviving artistic representation and that contributed to the notion of Amazons, coupled with the occasional presence of women warriors in barbarian (non-Greek) societies. In Classical Greek art (in those cases where they aren't given male Greek armor) Amazons are given a Phrygian-Persian costume, with Phrygian caps and long narrow sleeves and trousers, covered with an elaborate geometric pattern. Whether these are of leather (unlikely), thick or stiffened linen or cotton or something else, hard to tell. Here are some examples (but bear in mind even that is imaginary, with the benefit of being:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~memcinto/archery/images/LXXXV_85_a.jpg
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~memcinto/archery/images/LXXXV_85_d.jpg
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~memcinto/archery/images/LXXX_80_1.jpg
And here is a more fashionable Amazon wearing a sumptuous dress over her narrow long-sleeved and long-trousered outfit: (Someone misinterpreted the pattern on the trousers as leg tattoos! But even now there are long-sleeved tops with fake arm-sleeve tattoos, like Biceps from Bermudu Divsturis--here is their Baywatch parody.)
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2a/3e/ef/2a3eefe35a12a4c93fa27f0af119803a--greek-pottery-leg-tattoos.jpg

As for Artemisia I, although she came from Asia Minor (and not too far from Phrygia), she has nothing to do with Amazons and possibly with any female warriors. She did accompany the Persian king Xerxes' expedition against Greece in 480-479 BC, and she was valued for her sensible advice to the king. She is recorded as being aboard ship at the battle of Salamis (480), and distinguishing herself, but again through strategy rather than fighting: when the tide of battle turned and an enemy vessel was bearing down upon hers, she ordered her ship to turn around and ram that of one of her allies; upon seeing this, the enemy assumed she was on their side and gave up the pursuit; meanwhile the incident was pointed out to Xerxes (who was viewing the progress of the battle from a hilltop) but once again it was misinterpreted and Artemisia was praised for her success in battle against the enemy. Supposedly Xerxes said something along the lines of "my men have become women, my women, men." But while Artemisia was aboard and in command, nothing really about fighting or what armor (if any) she would have worn. And given Greek cultural influence on the western coasts of Asia Minor, if she did wear (some) armor, it might well have been Greek in appearance.

#29 ·
The seam isn't silly and actually makes sense (relatively speaking) if the upper portion is a separate piece. Both parts are worn in battle but the upper plate would be removable for relative comfort in the tent, the planning room, at court, etc.

#30 · (Edited)
The seam isn't silly and actually makes sense (relatively speaking) if the upper portion is a separate piece. Both parts are worn in battle but the upper plate would be removable for relative comfort in the tent, the planning room, at court, etc.
The lower plate is the problem, not the upper plate. The lower part of our torso requires more flexibility than the upper part so this is the section that would need to be removed for improved comfort. Here is how a proper one should be constructed. The overlap in the above model is the opposite of how it should be.

The top plate is also likely to have a slot in it to allow the shank of the rivet to slide along. This gives a little flexibility.

#32 ·
Most styles of metal cuirass were constructed so that the wearer "floated" inside them. There is a gap between the body and the plate, which left plenty of room for female breasts.
True -- especially if you're talking about real world bodies, rather than the comic book cover / pin-up exaggerations that are typically 1/6 figures wearing breastplates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.