One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question Number 1: The MITCH helmet...who uses it....is this a "militarized" version of the hockey-helmets that some SF operators were using years ago?

Question Number 2: Why did I suddenly have this burning desire to get into 1/6 modern in a big way...first I raided my closet, then I racked up a grand on the VISA! DAMN YOU ONE SIXTH WARRIORS! Note: this is not a question, merely a cry for help :)

Question Number 3: I was disappointed to see that the TOY SOLIDER figures that I bought were NOT detailed the way that they appear in all the glamour shots on various merchants websites....so, I need to add a whole lot of desert dust to equipment and uniforms: Whats the best way to do that? I do not own an airbrush.....can one weather down uniforms using only dry brushing? If so, can anyone recommend the proper way to do it? Acrylics? Enamels? Etc?

Question Number 4: I recently discovered after raiding the closet that I have quit a few 21st century figures that, after detailing with some paint, really have this cool look about them. OH sure they dont stand up to the hyper reality of Hot Toys or DID or Dragon....but they do have a charm to them, I guess becuase their uniforms and rubber/plastic kits take drybrushing paint so well....anyone else out here still have a soft spot in their hearts for 21st's offerings? I still think their TigerStripe Nam outfits are the best out there for display.....and their gear wasn't half bad.

Question Number 5: Ok..repainting rifles in sand, or just repainting them in general....what colors do you guys use for desert weapons and for standard black/blued weapons....

Thanks everyone!

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
HeadRusch1 said:
Question Number 1: The MITCH helmet...who uses it....is this a "militarized" version of the hockey-helmets that some SF operators were using years ago?
MICH was a program to improve the older PASGT kevlar helmet. Basically, they made the PASGT smaller and (allegedly) more penetration resistant and replaced the "basket" suspension system that hadn't changed much since WW2. The MICH is in widespread use in the Army in combat areas (Iraq, Afghanistan) and used to some degree by the other branches as well. The USMC has apparently opted to retain the design of the older PASGT helmet but with an improved suspension system. No doubt the hockey helmets influenced some of the design changes in the MICH but the MICH is related to the PASGT.

Question Number 2: Why did I suddenly have this burning desire to get into 1/6 modern in a big way...first I raided my closet, then I racked up a grand on the VISA! DAMN YOU ONE SIXTH WARRIORS! Note: this is not a question, merely a cry for help :)
I can help you. Send me a PM listing all the evil, immoral, excessive collection that burdens you so and I'll send you my mailing address and money to cover shipping costs. I will gladly relieve you of your burdens.

Question Number 3: I was disappointed to see that the TOY SOLIDER figures that I bought were NOT detailed the way that they appear in all the glamour shots on various merchants websites....so, I need to add a whole lot of desert dust to equipment and uniforms: Whats the best way to do that? I do not own an airbrush.....can one weather down uniforms using only dry brushing? If so, can anyone recommend the proper way to do it? Acrylics? Enamels? Etc?
Disappointed in TS stuff? I dunno how to help you there. You can dry brush and repaint and/or dirty things up with pastels or weathering powders. I don't generally do that with my 1/6 scale figures because they are "live" bashes, meaning they often get changed out and swapped around. When I DO repaint an item, I mostly use Vallejo acrylics but occasionally use Tamiya, Model Master Acryl or other quality hobby acrylics. I also keep a few tubes of basic artists acrylics on hand.

Question Number 4: I recently discovered after raiding the closet that I have quit a few 21st century figures that, after detailing with some paint, really have this cool look about them. OH sure they dont stand up to the hyper reality of Hot Toys or DID or Dragon....but they do have a charm to them, I guess becuase their uniforms and rubber/plastic kits take drybrushing paint so well....anyone else out here still have a soft spot in their hearts for 21st's offerings? I still think their TigerStripe Nam outfits are the best out there for display.....and their gear wasn't half bad.
Yes, if there are 21C item that will work for a project, I'll use 'em. Last year, I even did a series of bashes where I tried to use as much 21C gear as possible. I'm currently working on a project where 21C gear will be heavily used because they were the only company who had made some of it or had made affordable alternatives.

Question Number 5: Ok..repainting rifles in sand, or just repainting them in general....what colors do you guys use for desert weapons and for standard black/blued weapons....

Thanks everyone!
Again, I use most Vallejo. I don't remember specific color names because I have this big set that my wife bought me for my birthday a couple years back and I just grab whatever looks like it might work. I hope some of the more prolific repainters here can inform you better than I have.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
HeadRusch1 said:
The MICH is a helmet used for the various types of communication gear out there.

Because modern is cool!!!

TS figures are as detailed as shown on the different websites.But Alan weathers the figures for promo shots.I personnaly use a combo of markers,chalk sticks and Tamiya weathering master sets for my weathering.

I actually never had many 21st figures,so I can't answer this one

For desert rifles,I use a 3M box paint.It's a tan paint used for covering markings on boxes.

For black weapons,I may use another coat of flat non gloss black to cut down the shine,I then use the chalk sticks,a brush and just brush the "dirt"on them

Thanks everyone!
You're welcome.I hope I helped

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got a weathering kit from a local hobbies shop. It comes in a plastic box with 12 bags set of colors powder in Ash, Light and Dark Rust, Dust Brown, Yeller, Brick..... I used to build armor before I got into 1/6 figures. We(the armor people) will brush weathering powders to tanks like women putting on makeup. The power works great on figures too. Check you local plastic models hobbies shop and ask for weathering powers. Also pick up some modeling magazine. Almost always. You'll find a "How To Weather" in them. Tanks, figures, all weather the same. Works that way for me anyway. I have to say. I don't do much weathering on figures anymore. Got too lazy, and I'm too busy bashing weapons right now.

For desert camo. I really like Tamiya spray paint "Light Sand". And I'll follow up with dry brushing "Gun Metal" PS-23, "Matt Black" TS-6, and sometime "German Grey" TS-4 too on top of the Black or under Gun Metal. I don't do airbrush anymore. I don't have time to mix the paint in that little cup. I want to spray now! So I 'll have more time to do something else. Hope that helps.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
HeadRusch1 said:
Question Number 1: The MICH helmet...who uses it....is this a "militarized" version of the hockey-helmets that some SF operators were using years ago?
The MICH issue has been answered already, actually 2 answers that mash into one good one.

The hockey/sports helmets that you spoke of are still in use, sometimes by boat and aircrew depending on the need for ballistic protection, as these provide none. Usually its for training or more 'safe' areas. Most operators would probably opt for the brain bucket that protects their grapes, either a MICH or PASGT or some form of kevlar.
One exception for this may be Navy, Coast Guard, or Navy SEAL VBSS, wherein their situations the shock protection these helmets provide is often more sought.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Perspective is relative. Here's my two cents and understand that it's commin' from a guy who's tryin' to climb out of his PTE world.

New helmets - noticed the protecs starting just after the first gulf war. Mine is purely an assumption here but I've got to believe that the guy that wears it is under no illusion that it'll do nothing more than keep his head from getting scratched up. The best it can do is prevent a concussion from falls. My reason for stating this? If anyone wants a free hocky helmet they're not that hard to find. Just find your local skydiving drop zone and with some time and effort they're out there. I say this as I've seen on so many occasions where there's a guy with $5,000 worth of gear on his back and on his head is the Bauer cap he wore in High School. Lots of guys did this years ago. The problem however is that they didn't secure the chin straps and so they ended up in peoples backyards. As for protection? Again we're under no assumption that either the Bauer or the Protec will make much of a difference in a head-vs-cement contest at a buck-twenty.

Around 1997-98 or so, the hot tip for skydivers became the German Grey half-shelled protec. I mention this as it seems (from everything I've seen) that the skydive/skateboard/SOF worlds have since come together. I know, that's a blanket statement but the helmet you see on many of the SOF guys is also now being sold at some of the high-end half-pipe shops here in Florida. Ditto some of the skydive shops here in the sunshine state.

Weathering - find a 5-year old. I've spent hours with pastels and dry brushing but some of the best figures I have are some German Soldiers I gave my son about 2 years ago. Two of these were PTE figs with the rediculous beards and dear-in-the-headlights look. I weathered the faces using 400grit sandpaper and pastels. The uniforms are DML and, long story short, after being outside in the rain, sun and the pool the uniforms are incredible in terms of weathering. The cloth in particular is freyed in just the right spots as is the "scarring" of the helmets but the thing that looks the best, and is perhaps forgotten in many WWII figs, is the subtle rusting of the edges of the metal.

Another option, bury it and then throw it against a tree. Works wonders.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 2 year old came into my basement, where I keep my 1/6 collection.....and I had gear all over the floor doing a kitbash. He stops in his tracks...squats down.."OOOH..WHAATS DISSSS?"....and he's looking at a bunch of spare BBI and Dragon Brit Camo Pouches. I say "Army Guy stuff, for Daddy's army guys!".

And he goes "OOOOOOHHHH......Not Cars!". :)

Then he runs off and finds the matchbox I keep out for him.

Collection safe for another day :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
HeadRusch1 said:
they made a lot of civilian stuff i'm still hunting down... the Villains line is one that i really missed out on in a huge way. So many cool weapon and figure sets. street heats. So many guns and outfits you'll never see again. You can still find some of them on heavy discount in some areas.

I wish they would re-issue some of the fatigues and weapons. If they re-packaged their older carded weapon sets, combined 2 or more sets together into 1 box... they'd have tons of my money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.