One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-more-reliable-gun-packing-better-knock-down/

I have zero expertise/experience when it comes to 1:1 handguns/weaponry. I know quite a few within the OSW have expertise/experience in terms of 1:1 handguns/weaponry due to prior law enforcement/military/gun collecting/sportsman background.

Given the nature of the defense industry and the gun manufacturing industry in general and the nature of conflicts and the importance of effectively & properly arming/equipping our armed forces, I do hope that US Army will not fall prey to usual money issues in terms of bloated budgets, bribery, kick backs, lobbying, etc. from the respective manufacturers resulting in an inferior armament being select purely due to money in the pockets of a few and not for the right reasons.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Army is looking to replace M9 & M11 pistols with more reliable pistol . . .

It's good that they're getting rid of the M9. It's a miserable handgun and only gets worse with age. I'm honestly surprised they didn't switch to Glock or Sig Sauer years ago for all branches. Their weapon systems perform far better. But as with any government contract it'll come down to who is the lowest bidder and yea, some palms will more than likely be greased within the DoD before the matter is settled.

·
Registered
605 Posts

The Glock is one of the better handguns out there, much better in fact than the Sig Sauer that have a weakness where the slide meets the body of the gun!
The M9 is in fact the italian Beretta and that says it all.:zen

:hat

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

I have three Colt .45 automatics. Those are damn nice guns. If you even make an attempt at keeping them clean, they'll function properly for damn near ever.

Their only drawback is they're a little heavy

Small price to pay for having function each and every time it's pulled from the holster.

Glock make a fine weapon, no doubt. I like them, but I'm always pulled back to a Colt.

I have little experience with a Sig.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Springfield also makes some good handguns but I'm not sure how they stack up compared to Glock.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

I'm not so sure you can blame Beretta, because among other things, the US government specs included modifications for the M9 that I'm not sure the 92 Beretta has. If they evaluated 92s, those were probably much better than what became standard issue. A friend related the same sort of issues when troops tried out the FN Minimi, and then received the M249 SAW.

I am not a fan of 9mm pistols either, that round being a concession to it's wide use in European (NATO) militaries. In the right hands, properly placed, it is like most any other cartridge, capable of disabling/killing. I just think there are better choices.

Maybe....a Colt Dragoon?

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts

I had the Beretta as my duty weapon for a few years and the Glock .40 for many more. Both served me well when I needed them and accuracy was excellent with both. But if I had my druthers, I'd take my Glock every time.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts

I gotta say that I'd pick up a Glock 17 if it were on the table with an M9, and I needed to head out the door and go to work. Lots of reasons, not the least of which being no external safety on the Glock. And bottom line, it just feels better in my hand. That said, I'm not putting down the M9, I just prefer the Glock. Now, if we go back to the .45 ACP, I would hope that a double stack magazine weapon is chosen.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Here's my insight on the Modular Handgun System program: http://gruntsandco.com/army-looking-new-pistol/

Steve - I couldn't imagine the military going without a double stack .45 if it went that way, an option that was very rare in the 80's when the switch was made. Given the conventional military's propensity for a stand alone safety I think IF there's a change the Glock is a L O N G shot. Not dinging the Glock. It deserves its reputation for reliability which has almost caused me to come over to the dark side and get one. ;)

Check out my essay. This isn't going to happen overnight or may not happen at all.

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts

The Colt .45, 1911 Auto. Should have never removed it from service.
It worked all the time for us.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

I love my HK45 and FNX45, which were both candidates in and born from the Military Joint Combat Pistol program, which was cancelled back in 2006. Wouldn't be surprised if some variation of each pistol was submitted for consideration.

I own a few Glocks, but have never been the biggest fan of striker fired pistols. The HK VP9 does look intriguing though...

·
Registered
246 Posts

Springfield also makes some good handguns but I'm not sure how they stack up compared to Glock.
I have a Springfield XD9 and I have found it to be better then my old Glock 26. I had alot better accuracy out of the XD and better handling. I use cheap Tulammo and I've fired a few hundred out of both and no problems. Even though both of mine are subcompacts, the military couldn't go wrong with either and FN, Springfield, or Glock style pistols. From my personal research and hands on experience on those three brands I find them all to be quite reliable.

·
Registered
168 Posts

FBI is going back to 9mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts