One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title lovingly heisted from a favorite old series I used to read and copy at the CARL (library) at Ft. Leavenworth.

Object of the exercise: For members to impart their knowledge of their nation's miltary forces, or those of nations they have an interest in, bordering on obsession.

I'm not going to list any particular militaries by name, no favoritism here, and large or small, we want to know about it.

·
Hi! Wait - who said that?
637 Posts
I'm a tad confused, but...

I served 12 years with the Canadian Armed Forces. Electronic Warfare Spec. 2 tours in the UN - Rwanda (94) & Former Yugo (95).

Spotted for sniper team (briefly while waiting to ship out) in Yugo, body guard for DCO of UN Canadian Contingent in Rwanda.

Is that what you're asking for??

·
not EchoBase Tung (Staff emeritus)
2,994 Posts
I think PD wants more details about gear and unis and such.

Tung

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry 'bout the confusion...

Tung's got it, just a thread to detail equipment, arms, the stuff we cover on other threads here, only for non-US militaries.
Basically the techno-stuff, Caz.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
I was in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) from 1993 - 1996. While in service, I'm with the 35mm twin Oerlikon AA battery crew and our gear is pretty much same as those from the infantry branch.

BDUs : We wore woodland camo BDU which has very similar camo pattern to the US woodland camo wore in Vietnam (ie DML Jake's type).

Helmet : Standard Kevlar helmet is used and some of us had netted camo with shreaded green cloth secured to the net for breaking the shape. But many of us blokes in the battery only used camoed painted K-pots. We do not have helmet covers.

Boots : The boot's sole design pattern are very similar to those used by the US Forces - at least at my time - and I heard there some Reebok components build into the boots. The overall design and looks are very close to those from DML Jason.

Webbings & TAC Vest : We termed that as SBO (ie Skeleton Battle Order). The design is very much like the Israeli Ephod webbings (see pic below for the actual item). As far as I know, regular trooper are not issued any TAC Vest or LBV sort. However, the boys at East Timor does have TAC Vest similar to those worn by the British (ie the one that comes with HT SAS HALO).

Rucksack : It's the same design as the ALICE pack and we are only issued OD color pack.

Personal Protection : During service, we are not issued any body armour. Its basically the SBO over the BDU (No.4 is commonly termed in the army to represent the Camo BDU outfit) and that's about it. However, the boys who went to East Timor for peacekeeping mission does have these. So I gather this item will only be issued during actual war situation.

A usual trooper

Weapons : The basic trooper used to carry M16 variance (manufacture under license in Singapore) but since a couple of years back, the entire SAF slowly phased in the SAR21 assault riffle. The design concept of this weapon is very similar to the British (cannot remember the riffle designation) and the Steyr AUG.
The SAW we carry is the Ultimax 100 and the heavier mg will be the FN MAG GPMG.

The Ultimax 100 SAW

The SAR-21 Assault Riffle

There you go, hope these are good info and any Singaporean collector here who are still in the army now can correct some of the info above if there are new things added 

Attachments

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the ticket!

Exactly so, Porkins, just what I had in mind! Thanks for an excellent start.

·
Hua!
157 Posts
I'm just starting my career with the CF Reserve with dreams of tours dancing in my head. However I can provide a good link for info on CF stuff

http://www2.sfu.ca/casr/index.htm
A good link for overall mission statement type stuff.

http://www2.sfu.ca/casr/101-0intro.htm
A look at the weapons and equipment. I'm biased towards the Land section being part of the pointy end :)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/gallery/index_e.asp
The DND's combat camera website. Has current operational photos of troops overseas.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_5.asp
Gov't site featuring the gear. A lot has been issued already, but some has yet to come.

The CF is in the middle of upgrading their equipment. All the guys overseas in Afghanistan for example have all the high tech CADPAT kit such as the tactical vest, etc. The Regular forces naturally get it first, followed by the Reserves. Many reservists and regular force members are still wearing our old OD combats. If you walk into an armoury you'll see a mix of the old plain green and the new paint by numbers camo. Being a relative newbie I was issued the older stuff, with the 82 Pattern webbing and rucksack. Some of my friends who are supply clerks have the newer Gore-tex CADPAT stuff and fancy new boots (go figure). The basic infantry soldier carries a C7 rifle with the C79 optical sight. I have yet to be taught how to fire with plain ironsights on my weapon though at some point I will.

Since most board members tend towards the high speed, low drag stuff I'll add that JTF2 (our Special Forces) are kitted out like the US Special Forces. A link to the gov't site is here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/dcds/units/jtf2/default_e.asp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts