One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ares Viking 1/6 scale head sculpt arrived from Monkey Depot today, and I am appending a few in-hand photos in case you are considering whether or not to get one. It seems to be an unlicensed piece, nevertheless very closely based on the fictional portrayal of Ragnar Lodbrok in the popular series. That look varies a bit from season to season or even episode to episode, so it would not always be spot on anyway (for example the war paint on the side of head is different among different screenshots). The braid at the back of the head is removable and made of real hair. The war paint is applied only to the right side of the head. Everything is very nicely sculpted and pretty nicely painted. Remember, this is only the head sculpt.

I hope this helps.

(Edit: the colors on some of the images are a bit off -- too bright -- look at the first image for actual colors)

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep, that was I think the same head sculpt, with a different paint application. [correction: just looked at it; the concept is the same, but the facial features are different, and the braid is perhaps plastic]
Keep in mind that the hair part of the braid tucks into the top blue braid wrap, which is sculpted in plastic and permanently attached to/part of the head sculpt. This will get in the way of most helmets (just checked).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Wow, that looks really familiar...hmmmm, just can't place it...oh wait I know.
It's a really bad version of the the one I had Caine custom make for me about 18 month ago......:lol
Same exact sculpted braid wrap and everything.. I guess it would be nicely sculpted, just not by them.:lol

Here's what it should look like, as I was modding one for a bald version as well.
Of course mine doesn't have blue sharpie tattoo's on the side. :poke

Anyone wants the real version...I have some, here's the thread link.

1/6 Custom-Unpainted Travis-Fimmel Viking Head *5-13-17*

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi IKE-CON. Yes, I have seen the unpainted heads on eBay for some time. The concept is the same, and the look is very close, but I am not sure this is a simple copy or recast. I looked at some of the details on the beard sculpt, the hair sculpt, and the wrinkles, and they are not quite identical. The braid is also a bit different. And ultimately, not all of us are comfortable painting unpainted head sculpts. So I remain happy with my purchase. (And the "sharpie" war paint on the head is not sharpie and not nearly as bright blue as on the color-corrected (or distorted after upload) photos when in hand.)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi IKE-CON. Yes, I have seen the unpainted heads on eBay for some time. The concept is the same, and the look is very close, but I am not sure this is a simple copy or recast. I looked at some of the details on the beard sculpt, the hair sculpt, and the wrinkles, and they are not quite identical. The braid is also a bit different. And ultimately, not all of us are comfortable painting unpainted head sculpts. So I remain happy with my purchase. (And the "sharpie" war paint on the head is not sharpie and not nearly as bright blue as on the color-corrected (or distorted after upload) photos when in hand.)
No offense at all intended, but let's face it: $60 for the unpainted head (which I do agree is an awesome sculpt) plus you have to paint yourself (add the cost of paints, brushes etc) or find someone to do it for you, which means more $$, or...
$36.99 plus S&H from Monkey Depot. I'd be sold too if this was my cup of tea.
Boycotting recasters because they make decent copies of items that are too expensive for most of us cost-conscious collectors to afford? Personally I don't get it. I'd rather boycott Hot Toys for been greedy and exploitative.
And I've bought many Very Hot Toys sets over the years even though many claim they are just cheap copies of HT sets.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, PitViper.
BTW, here is another photo of the head, this time processed a little differently, and reproducing the colors without distortion (i.e., they are not as bright and artificial as in some of the photos I posted initially).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts