One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

In any hobby discussion / forum group, new members seek assistance / guidance from "old timers" / seasoned members for knowledge, etc.

In general, established members chime in and offer input / insight to assist new members.

Over time, the attitude and mindset of new and old members vary in a cycle where instances / periods occur where older members just don't care to offer any assistance to new member by simply remaining silent. New members may convey attitudes of arrogance and ignorance where they're dismissive of the assistance and guidance offered by older members. I post / say this based on first hand experience over the years.

SO . . . is the preceding still pretty much the same nowadays especially here?

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,040 Posts
I try to help and inform the new members/new to the hobby.

It's like an apprenticeship. You help out. Show them tricks and tips. Inform about new and old items. If you just remain silent or dismissive, the whole thing just eventually dies off as new hobbyists get frustrated or bored, or feel ignored.

Noobs that have some kind of arrogance and disregard for help from more experienced hobbyists tend to get dismissed pretty quick. Those type of folks tend to be their own worst enemies, and bring a bitterness to any situation.

There could be some of that happening here, but for the most part, I see the lack of interaction on site a result of years of neglect to the forum by the new management, and folks just aren't interested in stuff that doesn't work well.

·
Procastinatus Excelentus
1,226 Posts
Hey guys, I'm inclined to say I'd love to help in any way I can, I was surprised this forum still was up and tbh I might make it a habit to come back and share some experiences and tricks.

See ya around guys.

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,392 Posts
I do only when someone sends me a PM to ask for help as there are many who are just plain askholes (look it up)
Half the time a simple search on the boards/google will provide some of the answers these new collectors are looking for.
I see a lot of new collectors on forums/boards and social media lack that drive to do a bit of research first with things like "Hi all, new collector here - i need help with / what is the best way to....!"

·
Registered
90 Posts
If they want info, comments on a kitbash or Diorama, suggestions on where to get certain items, Yeah.

If they want me to sell them stuff I have at a loss, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA , Oh Hell No.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get pissed when they ask the same questions that can be answered by LOOKING IT UP! ****ing lazy collectors or kitbashers piss me off. I'm not your mom.
If it's a real question that isn't an obvious look-up...sure I'll help. If you want stuff for free because "you are new"...go fu....

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,040 Posts
Some of that may be laziness. That will always happen. Askholes will always be around, thankfully they are few and far between here. Not so much on other groups I have noticed.

Some of it may also be problems with this site. For a few years now, when you search for something specific, the search results come back with not just some of the stuff in the search, but also pages and pages of stuff not even related to the search, or maybe have one word in the thread, and then you have 15 pages of threads to hunt through that may or may not yield results. And that probably has something to do with a lack of site maintenance for the last 4-5 years. Sometimes it's as simple as not having the correct information to initiate a proper search, and they end up looking at pages of stuff that can be totally useless to their needs. I have actually typed in specific information in the Search field, looking for one of my own threads, and somehow still managed to get multiple pages of chaff and unrelated threads. How is that possible when I am the one who made the thread, and knows exactly what is in it? That's a Search function problem. The Search function should WORK, and that's not always the case any more on this site.

It doesn't take much effort for us "old timers" to get a new member into a more specific search or even the exact topic. I'm not a fan on spoon-feeding folks when they can do it themselves, but when someone asks for help, it's usually because they don't know what they're looking for, or what/how to look it up. eg. specific posts or wording. Lets face it, this site could use some real work now, and things are not as user friendly as they once were. There's no need to make it worse by giving a new member grief.

It's always better to mentor the new generation of hobbyists, than to be that "get off my lawn" old guy.

EDIT; as an update on the Search function, I just tried searching a few of the more obscure threads I used to have trouble locating. They are now showing up, but so are multiple other pages of topics. Apparently when the site got rearranged a few months back, the Search function must have been upgraded or sorted out. About time that was taken care of. It hasn't worked properly in at least 4 years. Hopefully that will help with new searches.

·
MUST STOP SPENDING ON 1/6
2,027 Posts
Always good to help out the new comers, what are the chances, couple days ago i helped out a collector in a Facebook group who was looking for sticker lens for scopes that mimic scope glint then i see this thread. Just took a couple of minutes to search up an old OSW search and send it to him, sure i get what some collectors like knyaz mean by letting them search for themselves it and not spoon feeding, but its always good to share spread positivity.

Recently i had the pleasure of sending a complimentary generic, modern 1/6 rifle to a collector who had bowled out of the game during the BBI era, tried to tempt him back into collecting. He was amazed at the level of detail and the ability to disassemble. Knowing that you helped, or touched someone is a joy itself. It is also one of the reasons why i started my brand, "General's Armoury", to help share my vision of 1/6 collecting, spread happiness in collectors who finally are able to purchase something they have been yearning for , or looking for.

1/6 industry is in decline, we are losing collectors everyday to price increments and to the "hot toys" side of things where the learning curve is much more forgiving. If we don't help one another out, in a couple of years, there would only be a handful of collectors left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts